KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - 6 new tracks from pep/sc Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Cons of downloads
Need money in account at time of purchase

I don't carry any credit cards at all. Unless I have the money, with the exception of Zzounds or Sweetwater, I don't make the purchase.

Then that is not a CON against getting Downloads. That's a CON against your wallet.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
What Cue said.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
What Lonman said.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
cueball wrote:
Brian A wrote:
6 new tracks released for licensees and Compuhost users (with gem license) only. :roll:

https://pep.rocks/newsongs

Not quite for ALL Licensees... I am a licensee, but I am ODB.

Cueball, if at any point you wanted the new tracks, I am sure that you could contact Brian and they can make a special exception for you. Does your player play DVD discs? You could get permission to make the MP4 files into a DVD disc and play them that way.

you never known until you ask

-James

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Ok some things have changed.

Some people have complained that if PEP loses licensing for a song, the song will disappear and this was one of my MAJOR objections to subscription services.

This is no longer true. One of the requirements of using the sound choice music is a yearly licensing fee of $25 per company. You do not have to pay $25 for each system that you operate. So as long as you are paying the licensing fee, you do not lose the songs you have already received from PEP.

As mentioned before, there is now a much cheaper option of 'new music' only for $10/month and PEP has figured out a way to make these songs available for ANY hosting software, so a compuhost subscription is no longer required.

As stated above, you can stop paying the $10/month any time you wish, and keep the songs you have already received for the yearly licensing fee.

This still isn't as good as paying for a download once, but I believe is it a good compromise between the two.

And I have stated my opinions before, but I still believe that there is one advantage subscription has over downloads.

It would seem, that PEP's licensing model may allow for songs that would never be published under the 'download' model. If PEP can survive long enough, they may be in the position to licence ANY track they want.

Granted, they are off to an Extremely rocky start given the current title choices, but I still remain optimistically cautious.. I'm giving it six months

-James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
jclaydon wrote:
It would seem, that PEP's licensing model may allow for songs that would never be published under the 'download' model. If PEP can survive long enough, they may be in the position to licence ANY track they want.

example?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I think he's referring to the Styx song that Michael said was an absolute no for lyric sync.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Lonman wrote:
I think he's referring to the Styx song that Michael said was an absolute no for lyric sync.

Yes, that is the kind of songs I'm hoping they will eventually have enough influence to get more people to say yes to limited publishing.

-James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
So let me get this straight.... For their service, it's $25/year plus $10/month = $145/year

I can pay them that, and get their current 15 songs that I most likely won't use...And if I STOP paying the $25/year, I can't use anything I bought.

-OR-

I can get 48 cherry picks from KV for that price, which I know I'll play...And keep forever

-OR-

If I want random acts of karaoke songs, I can get the 6-8 Zoom CDs from the UK for about the same price... And keep forever.

Choices, Choices...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:37 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

yup it suck major arse. However, if they manage to get the songs that no one else can get on a regular basis I'm willing to put up with it.

I have a feeling that more and more publishers will be going subscription in the future too. I mean from a business point of view, getting people to pay forever is a great business model.

-James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:24 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

but only if they are songs I actually need. Not going to buy 'exclusive' songs just because, I will need people wanting to sing them too. So far, there are none. Well ok the Styx and Priest songs that I already have were done enough I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:07 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 39 times
The people that have been going to karaoke shows for the last 25 years already have plenty of songs that they are comfortable singing. The people who have recently reached drinking age are the only ones looking to sing contemporary songs and Sound Choice has never been the first karaoke company to come out with new music. By the time PEP comes out with a decent group of new songs; Karaoke Version, SBI, BKD and Mr. Entertainer will have already produced those songs. PEP dropped the ball about 10 years ago and I don't think that they'll ever catch up to the new guys in the business. Are there some classic Rock songs that haven't been made in karaoke format? I'm sure there are but nobody seems to be making them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:05 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
jclaydon wrote:

example?

The best example I can think of is the one where they just sell you the songs.... without any licensing at all and just build into their contract that the KJ purchasing the tracks are required to "obtain whatever permissions are necessary from third party rights holders to use the tracks for commercial purposes."

Oh wait!.... that sort of sounds familiar.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:41 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 396 times
Until they fix it so I don't have to pay for songs that I don't need or want. I am out. I decided years ago that my singers drive what I buy and I refuse to pay for any more filler music just to get the one song that my singers asked for. I will pay attention to what they are offering and if one of my singers request it a d it's only available from them, I will just request for it to be made by the ones that allow me to pick and choose what I need and not have to pay for the songs that I may never play.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:15 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

KJKILLER wrote:
Are there some classic Rock songs that haven't been made in karaoke format? I'm sure there are but nobody seems to be making them.
Tons, I get requests quite often for stuff never made, and no, no one seems to be making them. Knet is the closest to listening to actual requests and doing what they can!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:45 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
Karaoke.net (Sybersound/PartyTime) occasionally drops an unmade classic on us. The Kinks "Destroyer", Heart's "Love Alive", and Procol Harum's "A Salty Dog" come to mind.

Producers have always concentrated on the tracks other producers made before them, or totally new recent hits. The first goal seems to become everyone's "One-Stop Shopping" solution for every song that was ever done by anyone before them. The second goal... wait, most companies never last long enough to need a second goal!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 45 times
Elementary Penguin wrote:
Karaoke.net (Sybersound/PartyTime) occasionally drops an unmade classic on us. The Kinks "Destroyer", Heart's "Love Alive", and Procol Harum's "A Salty Dog" come to mind.

Producers have always concentrated on the tracks other producers made before them, or totally new recent hits. The first goal seems to become everyone's "One-Stop Shopping" solution for every song that was ever done by anyone before them. The second goal... wait, most companies never last long enough to need a second goal!!!

Elementary Penguin, I have the song A Salty Dog on cdg,
it was put out by a Dutch company, If I remember correctly.
it was on Rock Tunes RT54, Some of their discs seemed to
be the same as Legends, they also had cartoon characters
of rock stars on the discs..It was nice to see Party Tyme put
it out there also!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Warrenkel16 wrote:
Elementary Penguin wrote:

Elementary Penguin, I have the song A Salty Dog on cdg,
it was put out by a Dutch company, If I remember correctly.
it was on Rock Tunes RT54, Some of their discs seemed to
be the same as Legends, they also had cartoon characters
of rock stars on the discs..It was nice to see Party Tyme put
it out there also!

I have most of those very limited and short lived discs as well (including Salty Dog), knet is actually making them available to all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 226 times
DannyG2006 wrote:
Until they fix it so I don't have to pay for songs that I don't need or want. I am out. I decided years ago that my singers drive what I buy and I refuse to pay for any more filler music just to get the one song that my singers asked for. I will pay attention to what they are offering and if one of my singers request it a d it's only available from them, I will just request for it to be made by the ones that allow me to pick and choose what I need and not have to pay for the songs that I may never play.

I,I,I...I,I.I.....I,I,I, I T-E-N Friggin "I"s !!!!!! :no: :no: :no:

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME..ALL about ME, I, MY..... :puke:

It's 2019 and you're STILL as self-centered as EVER!!! :argue: :banghead: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
jclaydon wrote:
getting people to pay forever is a great business model.

-James

No. It's more like extortion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next