KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Combo Case - Advice Requested Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:47 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I am looking for a combo case that will accommodate the following:

- Mackie CFX 12 mixer
- TC M300 Effects Processor
- BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
- Power Conditioner
- DBX 166XL
- Carvin DCM2000 Amplifier
- PCDJ DAC-3 Controller
- DMX Lighting Controller
- 15.4 Widescreen Laptop

The case needs to be lightweight, mobile, not ugly, and flexible.  Oh, one other thing... It also needs to be reasonably priced.  In other words, I have "champagne taste with beer money only".  LOL

JD

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Putting all of those in one rack would be heavy.. The cfx12 can be rack mounted
photo
This is a Gemini slant 10/6..

With all that stuff Id look at stackables too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:45 pm 
Can't have a mixer on top and a laptop too.   L&M makes boxes.   Mine for the mixer cost $400.   Looks like the one in the picture posted before this.   When I go to a laptop, that box will be a smaller version of the mixer box.

My mixer box is over 100 lbs.   Good karaoke isn't cheap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Quote:
Can't have a mixer on top and a laptop too.

Yea we put another system together, built the case from scratch  and mounted the mixer with draw hardware so it pulls out and his laptop sits on top.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:13 pm 
Amp in a seperate box on the floor.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:04 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thank you, Karyoker and Bigdog, for your suggestions.  You two are absolutely correct about the weight of all those equipment.  I should consider at least two separate stackable cases.

I did find something on ebay which would work for me.  It's an obscure brand - GMI SOUND MR-SL-12.  I imagine that this would be too heavy for me.

One way to conveniently have a laptop within reach would be to use a laptop tray with a mouse tray on wheels or tripod.  The Gemini case shown in Karyoker's picture would work, if only a tray can be attached on its side.

Has anyone used the SKB or Gator line of cases?  SKB seems to be popular, although I just can't appreciate the molded look of its cases.  Gator has a new line of lighweight cases that looks better to me.

JD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I use an SKB Mini Gig Rig with a gig wing for my computer. I use a seperarte rack for my amps and crossover.

The Mini Gig Rig Hold a Yamaha MG16/4 mixer, A Furman power conditioner, Alesis Midiverb 4, A DBX Compresser, and a JVC karaoke player I never use.

My amp case has 2 amps a DBX driverack, and a Furman.

SKB suff is not cheap the Gig Rig was $250 the wing was $110, and the Amp Case was $130

You can see pictures of the setup on my website.

www.djcamonline.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:33 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I'll put my $.02 in.

It depends on what you want: single rack, double racks that are stackable, or something that can fit on a table top?

As karyoker has said, everything in 1 case would be heavy.

I would recommend a SKB Gig Rig with the SKB Roto roller underneath it.

Put these in the Gig Rig:
- Mackie CFX 12 mixer
- TC M300 Effects Processor
- Power Conditioner
- DBX 166XL
- PCDJ DAC-3 Controller
- DMX Lighting Controller (maybe mount this on a slide out tray...just a thought)

Put these in the SKB Roto Roller:
- BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
- Carvin DCM2000 Amplifier

Put this on an SKB Gig Wing:
- 15.4 Widescreen Laptop

The SKB Gig Wing can support up to 75 lbs.

If you want a fast setup maybe even get a custom rack plate made up, (see attachment). Put your all your audio wires in black plastic flexible conduit, (you can get these at any home improvement store) put your power lines in another conduit and wham bam you got a compact and nice looking setup.

All this doesn't meet your final requirement tho......reasonably priced. But if you buy quality the first time you never have to buy/replace for awhile.....you get what you pay for.

Gig Rig - $400+
Roto Roller - $200+
Gig Wing - $75

Here's a link to the SKB site with a picture of the Gig Rig with the Roto Roller.
http://www.skbcases.com/product/pro_audio/rack_mount/skb19-1010.html

P.S. - When you visit the SKB link above, click on the warranty info........I bet nobody can beat the warranty.

Just a humble opinion.

:D

Lito.

Attachments:
File comment: Custom Rack Plate
custom panel.jpg
custom panel.jpg [ 22.28 KiB | Viewed 13117 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JDrifter @ Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:04 pm wrote:
I did find something on ebay which would work for me.  It's an obscure brand - GMI SOUND MR-SL-12.  I imagine that this would be too heavy for me.

Actually, I got this rack and I like it so far. It's not too heavy as it looks. It's built from thin laminate type wood so the weight is not too bad. I am not sure about durability but from several gigs, it has taken the beating well so far. I actually tipped it over once and it slammed on the hard ground and it survived the fall and all the gears seems to be intact. It's very convenient that it's on a roller so I have a ramp from my van that I roll it down and just roll it to the gig spot.

However, you may want to check the height of your vehicle. With my ramp, the van door is very tight. I can get 3 of the corners out but the 4th corner always sticks and have to force it in/out, scraping it in process. It's not too bad but annoying.

I have pretty much the whole thing filled out, except for the few slots on the top cover unit. I like the side table feature, it's where I set up my monitor, keyboards and stuff. It's pretty convenient. I am thinking of getting a skirt to put it around in front to make it look nicer. Also thinking about making a screen for the table top so I can hide behind it.  LOL

Overall, it's a decent item and I am happy so far with it. I will have to see if they survive a lot more gigs.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lito, can I ask where you got that custom panel made? Did you make it yourself? I have been looking to do it for a while but placed I checked in to like Markertek makes it difficult to get it made. Is there a place that would assist you with it including cabling? Thanks in advance.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 am 
I use 3 boxes.   Weights include the boxes and equipment.

Mixer, mike receivers, compressor, EQ, effects, power supply in one.    Over 100 lbs.

Machines in the other.   75 lbs.

Amp in the last one.     70 lbs.

Putting everything in one big box is real heavy.   Just remember who has to set it all up.    You don't want to hurt your back.   I can't even dead lift my mixer box.    A big box with wheels on the bottom, won't go up steps.  You will need a two wheel dolly and straps to hold everything on it.    My equipment weights 800 lbs.  With all of the books, discs, cord cases and table.    Most of the time it takes 8 trips from the van.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:32 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

eben,

Sent you a PM.

:D

Lito.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:19 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2125 times
I have a processor box (contains the effects, compressors, sonic enhancers & eq's), a box made for the players (4 player spaces - only use 3 & 2 5" tv's for cue), an amp rack for 4 amps & 2 crossovers & the mixer which isn't racked (doesn't get moved at this time) but would just get a mixer pop-up case for it if it did.

www.allcases.com

These guys can usually find a case or get one custom built for your needs.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I have learned a lot, and enjoyed the pictures.

The Gig Rig (Model No. 1SKB19-R1010) plus the Gig Wing will definitely satisfy my need.  I wonder if that wing is wide enough for a 15.4 laptop and a mouse?

One other choice for me at this point is the Gator GRC-10x4 plus the GRC-BASE-10.  I can hide either rig using a carpeted DJ wall.  If I go for the Gator cases, I could get a stand or a small table for my laptop.  Decision, decisions...

Thanks,

JD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:40 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I use a gator combo rack with the slant top.  Unfortunately, my Mackie CFX12 mixer does not allow me to mount the controller for my Numark player on top.  I know Gator makes a model that has enough rack spaces on top to accommodate the mixer and the controller for the player.  I did not buy that unit and now regret it.  I figured that the real estate below was more important.  It's on wheels and can accommodate the following equipment with room to spare:
Numark dual drawer
Mackie CFX12
BBE882
JVC triple player
Audio 2000s key changer
Sennheiser wireless receiver & Rat shack RF converter
Furman PL+ Power conditioner

I really like the adjustable slant top.  That's a feature that the gig rig I considered was missing.  If I remember correctly, the gig rig did have a slant model with velcro, but I wanted something that held the mixer more securely.  I have been very satisfied with this combo rack.  However, if I wasn't using powered speakers and mounted amps in the unit, it would weigh a ton.

Cheers