KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A Bad Idea Becomes A Good One? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Most would agree that people should pay for a product that they are using, but this should be qualified that the product is produced BY someone. The question is, then, should someone profit from a product that they DID NOT produce, i.e., a counterfeit?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:36 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 634 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
Most would agree that people should pay for a product that they are using, but this should be qualified that the product is produced BY someone. The question is, then, should someone profit from a product that they DID NOT produce, i.e., a counterfeit?

8) I guess it all depends how bad the product is needed and whether it is available any more. Most of the karaoke disc labels are out of business for one reason or another. Much of this material has drifted into the free ware zone and is no longer protected by trademark. There is a limited supply of material at best. If you have a classic car that you can no longer get parts for, sometimes you have to have parts made, is that counterfeiting? Should someone profit from a product that they did not produce? Isn't that what SC is doing with CB, simply by obtaining the CB trademark?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

8) I guess it all depends how bad the product is needed and whether it is available any more. Most of the karaoke disc labels are out of business for one reason or another. Much of this material has drifted into the free ware zone and is no longer protected by trademark. There is a limited supply of material at best. If you have a classic car that you can no longer get parts for, sometimes you have to have parts made, is that counterfeiting? Should someone profit from a product that they did not produce? Isn't that what SC is doing with CB, simply by obtaining the CB trademark?

Analogies....... :roll: Here we go:

If aftermarket replacement parts are made by Company B, Company A (the original vehicle manufacturer) is not profiting from them, especially if the car company no longer exists, unless they enter into a licensing agreement PRIOR to the manufacturing of said parts. The usual remedy for counterfeiting is cease-and-desist, criminal investigation, and/or civil suits for damages, NOT an attempt to license the counterfeits for a huge profit with little or no expenditure, not to mention encouraging others to create more counterfeits under this type of arrangement...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
You know, i see many friends of mine all subscribing to netflix and are given a code with their subscription. They pay 8.00/month

Just sayin' that even though the legit subscribers keep paying. Many will share the code with friends. It's not right. But then again it's pretty fair.

I did also notice that when too many are using the same code, there is a popup saying to buy another code.

Why can't they do this with karaoke?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
The usual remedy for counterfeiting is cease-and-desist, criminal investigation, and/or civil suits for damages, NOT an attempt to license the counterfeits for a huge profit with little or no expenditure, not to mention encouraging others to create more counterfeits under this type of arrangement...

You have a very naive understanding of how our civil litigation system works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
You know, i see many friends of mine all subscribing to netflix and are given a code with their subscription. They pay 8.00/month

Just sayin' that even though the legit subscribers keep paying. Many will share the code with friends. It's not right. But then again it's pretty fair.

You would think that. I only have 2 things to say here:
1. KaraFun
2. Hello Pot....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

8) Let's see KJ's are naive, many are pirates, basically uninformed, independent, proud, troublesome, argumentative, opinionated, hard working, lazy, etc. etc. etc. Yet you are asking them to pay you to use your product, maybe if you showed hosts a little respect maybe they would show you some Jim. You got to give it to get it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:
The usual remedy for counterfeiting is cease-and-desist, criminal investigation, and/or civil suits for damages, NOT an attempt to license the counterfeits for a huge profit with little or no expenditure, not to mention encouraging others to create more counterfeits under this type of arrangement...

I am very disappointed that the opinion of my understanding of the civil litigation system was the chosen direction of response, since I thought I made it fairly clear that the second half of the statement was the meat of the subject, of which i was soliciting a response...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

8) Let's see KJ's are naive, many are pirates, basically uninformed, independent, proud, troublesome, argumentative, opinionated, hard working, lazy, etc. etc. etc. Yet you are asking them to pay you to use your product, maybe if you showed hosts a little respect maybe they would show you some Jim. You got to give it to get it.

Thank you for your defense, but it is neither requested nor necessary. I am simply approaching this from a consumer advocate's position...without consumers, there is no business...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The Lone Ranger wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:

I am very disappointed that the opinion of my understanding of the civil litigation system was the chosen direction of response, since I thought I made it fairly clear that the second half of the statement was the meat of the subject, of which i was soliciting a response...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
Since this has become another SC bash...what the hell...A little lighter side...

As of today I no longer NEED to consider using any SC material. Except for about 50 songs I have yet to find elsewhere (the rest I don't care about anyway). While it sucks for me personally to not have those tunes, I doubt anyone else would dare sing them anyway.
The rest of my "wants" do not exist anywhere anyway as they were never made.
I will merrily continue filling out the CB country and adding to my registration.
I will sleep very well tonight knowing I do not have to figure out how to pay for a gem series, or how to find more original SC disks, or how to afford a help license when I'm not working courtesy of the MANY illegal KJ's in my area, and knowing I never had to pull out the remaining SC buyout disk. Even better knowing I can now FORMAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The best part.... I spent much less than a gem series lease.
Good Night, zzzzzzzzzzzz :banger: :banger: :banger: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:56 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

8) Why does it become another SC bash? Maybe it is because SC does things that many people don't like. Of course there are always the SC supporters, those that feel fine with their business practices, and support them because they feel they are right, and in some way all of their actions will eventually benefit their bottom line. Really this back and forth has been going on for years, and little has changed. There are more hosts today than when this all started, and most of them are illegal. Nothing in the real world of hosting is different you have winners and losers for many reasons not all attributed to piracy.

Last edited by The Lone Ranger on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
The Lone Ranger wrote:
<snipped>There are more hosts today than when this all started, and most of them are illegal.<snipped>

I would have to completely agree with this statement. When I started singing karaoke in 1990 I knew every karaoke host in town and they were all 100% legal. Today I don't know 10% of the hosts and most of them are illegal.