KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - SC and Red Peters Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: SC and Red Peters
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
JimHarrington wrote:
doowhatchulike wrote:
It still seems that there is some really gray area, at best, when it could be perceived that two parties appear to be colluding to make money over alleged counterfeit material, while one of those companies sues individuals and businesses for the alleged illegal use of the same materials. Also, to my knowledge, I do not recall anyone shedding any real light on the legitimacy of such a scenario...

If the material is licensed, it's not counterfeit.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

It is not a stretch to think that most people would believe that in order to license a product, they would have to create it; if the product is allegedly counterfeit, i.e. not created by the originator of the item that was counterfeited, then the ownership of the alleged counterfeit item is someone else, whether the item is legitimately owned by them or not...

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
It is not a stretch to think that most people would believe that in order to license a product, they would have to create it; if the product is allegedly counterfeit, i.e. not created by the originator of the item that was counterfeited, then the ownership of the alleged counterfeit item is someone else, whether the item is legitimately owned by them or not...

That is not necessarily how IP licensing works.

Suppose I own the IP rights to a widget (could be patented, could have copyrightable aspects, could be trademark). I discover that you are making widgets that infringe my IP rights. Let's call them "counterfeit" even though that might not be the precisely correct term. I sue you.

As that lawsuit progresses, I might insist that your widgets be destroyed, and if you want to sell these widgets, you have to buy them from me. That's one possible outcome.

But suppose you are really good at making these widgets, and you have a lot more manufacturing capacity than I have, and you have a much larger customer base. To resolve the lawsuit, I might well decide that I will be better off if we make an arrangement whereby you make and sell the widgets and pay me a fee for the privilege. So we draw up an agreement, you pay me the royalty on all the ones you made before and sold, and you agree to pay me for all the ones you make and sell in the future. You're happy because you don't have to destroy your widgets, and I'm happy because I'm making more money than if I just made them myself. And we have just legitimized all of the "counterfeit" widgets.

There is nothing wrong with this arrangement. It happens every day. It is such an ordinary type of arrangement that it's fair to say that something like 75% of all patent infringement suits that settle include this type of arrangement.

The fact that you are ignorant of how this works does not mean there is one untoward thing about it, and casting aspersions on it is unfair and unreasonable.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:02 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
The reality is that during that case, we demonstrated that we did in fact have licenses for our production. It took so long to get to the point of settlement because it took nearly two years for Sony and EMI to prove that they owned even some of the songs they were suing over. Most of the songs on their list, they couldn't even show that they owned at all.

That's it your "reality" and not mine. as a matter of fact, anyone who actually reads through all of the information filed with the court on that case, will be able to find out that, while you had some of these songs originally licensed in the US through EMI, your license agreement with them also required that you not lease any of this licensed material. When you brought your disk from your "branch company" in the UK to the United States, you began leasing that material – which was property of EMI – which breached your original licensing agreement with them in the United States.

This is what EMI alleged, but it turned out not to be the case. (That's what happens when you read complaints and assume that they're true. Often the facts turn out not to be what was alleged.)

All of the songs in question were licensed at the time of their original production. No exceptions.

All of the copies they sued over were produced in the UK by FSC Mediaplas--its own company, in which nobody involved with Slep-Tone had any ownership or control, and which licensed and produced tracks for many different companies over a 6-year period--pursuant to a license from MCPS. That license specifically permitted worldwide sales. It also specifically permitted the making of new masters, which is what happened (note that the GEM series discs have different graphics, and which the red-logo tracks that were produced by MCPS don't have a new logo on the title card, the graphics were re-mastered for that purpose.) The discs were sold outright to Slep-Tone during the time period of the license and imported into the U.S.

All of this was perfectly legal according to the terms of the license and MCPS's practices. MCPS admitted as much in an affidavit--and MCPS was the lawful agent of EMI's UK affiliates at the time the license was issued. Shortly after that affidavit was produced, the case settled.

It's time for you to stop lying. The fact that you've read EMI's accusations does not acquaint you with the facts.

i think what he was getting is...
were the license agreements in place giving permission for leasing the end product?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

The fact that you are ignorant of how this works does not mean there is one untoward thing about it, and casting aspersions on it is unfair and unreasonable.

One's opinion, not fact, of me being "ignorant" (I am showing some benefit of the doubt that you would have chosen a less disparaging characterization, like "less knowledgeable", had you considered that many view the term "ignorant" to be negative verbiage--if, for no other reason, one of its definitions being "discourteous or rude") does not justify a reply that is "casting aspersions" on an attempt to provide food for thought in a specific area that is blatantly obvious to have an abundance of gray area, despite anyone's attempt to believe or convince otherwise.

My emphasis of discussion is always intended to be from a pro-consumer position. I recognize that positions of bias can interpret such information as an appearance of anti-business on rare occasion, but it should never be concluded that way, since there is nothing to consume if there is no businesses...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
i think what he was getting is...
were the license agreements in place giving permission for leasing the end product?

If by "leasing" you are referring to the GEM series license agreement...

The product we are using for that license is product that was legally sold once (from FSC Mediaplas to us), with royalties paid in full, as MCPS confirmed. The First Sale Doctrine prevents the copyright owner from having any say over further transfers of those physical copies, whether it is by outright sale, leasing, lending, renting, or whatever you might want to call it.

In short, we don't need a license from anyone to implement the GEM series licensing program. Well, I guess we need a business license from Meckenburg County, North Carolina. But not from any publisher.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

doowhatchulike wrote:
One's opinion, not fact, of me being "ignorant" (I am showing some benefit of the doubt that you would have chosen a less disparaging characterization, like "less knowledgeable", had you considered that many view the term "ignorant" to be negative verbiage--if, for no other reason, one of its definitions being "discourteous or rude") does not justify a reply that is "casting aspersions" on an attempt to provide food for thought in a specific area that is blatantly obvious to have an abundance of gray area, despite anyone's attempt to believe or convince otherwise.

The term "ignorant" carries only the implication that you lack knowledge on the subject. Your suggestion that what I have described is in any way untoward is, in fact, ignorant, because it is not only a common method of resolving disputes over intellectual property, but also the preferred method used by parties in most cases. These types of agreements are enforced and sometimes facilitated by the courts. Moreover, it is so commonly accepted that there is not much gray area at all, and certainly not an abundance.

On the other hand, your reaction to being correctly called "ignorant" is full of chutzpah, given that my original remarks to you on this subject were precipitated by your characterization of this arrangement as two companies "colluding to make money," a phrase that carries far more serious and offensive connotations than "ignorant."

doowhatchulike wrote:
My emphasis of discussion is always intended to be from a pro-consumer position. I recognize that positions of bias can interpret such information as an appearance of anti-business on rare occasion, but it should never be concluded that way, since there is nothing to consume if there is no businesses...

I did not interpret your position as being "anti-business." I interpreted it as being "anti-common sense." As for "pro-consumer," it seems to me that an arrangement that gives someone the use of a catalog that is worth, conservatively estimating, something near $50,000 for a price that's not even 1% of that amount per month, is decidedly "pro-consumer."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just as I displayed an aversion to the term "ignorant", I believe I can recognize the aversion to the term "collusion", especially since whether it is accurate or not would necessitate bearing out. One thing is certain: All numbers aside, if a company has a virtually ZERO percent investment in the creation of counterfeit material, the return on the non-investment is infinity, which is a position that could be difficult to justify to most "common sense" folks...

It is just difficult to imagine why, if there is such an iron-clad position to be had, the recording and publishing industries, which is an exponentially larger industry with at least exponentially larger losses (and whose existence is virtually 100% of the backdrop for the industry for which this forum exists), hasn't done more to recoup their losses in this manner. All I have read on the subject generally resulted in negative outcomes, and forced more creative avenues with the motivation of, at the least, keeping with the times...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
See, this is why you would never cut it as a lawyer. You miss little details that don't fit with your narrative.

What if we made a settlement agreement with them that didn't require us to pay any money, but still required us to keep the terms of that agreement, including whether or not we paid anything, confidential? (Thus allowing their attorney to keep his reputation as a "bulldog" despite being whipped. I am pretty sure he has never actually tried a case, so he's never won a case he's gone after, either.)

What if.... means that nothing following those two words is true... it's just what you wished had happened.

Interesting comparison here though:
When you get a monetary settlement with an alleged pirate, you don't have a problem counting it as "a win" for you, but when the shoe is on the other foot, opposing counsel is painted as "never won a case he's gone after."

You're not bitter or anything are you?

JimHarrington wrote:
I can neither confirm nor deny that there was a payment involved, because our settlement agreement with them is confidential. I can confirm that we pay them their share of the publishers' pool from the HELP licensing fees.
Your "help licensing fees" don't mean anything... that is a separate and apart contractual arrangement that has NO bearing on your (monetary) settlement on the lawsuit. And because you are even commenting on it at all is an acknowledgment that it is in fact, not part of the settlement of the copyright infringement lawsuit.

And I can confirm that I've paid my share to the bank every month on my house too, but that also has nothing to do with EMI or anything else..... (see how that works?)

JimHarrington wrote:
This is what EMI alleged, but it turned out not to be the case. (That's what happens when you read complaints and assume that they're true. Often the facts turn out not to be what was alleged.)
I didn't see any evidence -- even in a response from you filed with the court to support this cow poop you're attempting to spread.

JimHarrington wrote:
All of the songs in question were licensed at the time of their original production. No exceptions.
"... at the time of their original production..." but is that in the U.S. or the U.K?

JimHarrington wrote:
All of the copies they sued over were produced in the UK by FSC Mediaplas--its own company, in which nobody involved with Slep-Tone had any ownership or control, and which licensed and produced tracks for many different companies over a 6-year period--pursuant to a license from MCPS.
No control? Why was the first rejected application to MCPS signed by "Kurt Slep - consultant?"
the owner of Sound Choice wrote:
In an effort to bring back more “out of print” Sound Choice titles that had been discontinued due to expired licenses or low sales, our UK branch is licensing the songs through MCPS (which is easier and less expensive than US publishers and allows for world-wide distribution).
"OUR Uk branch" is not a free-standing company. But now you want to change the meaning of this to fit your agenda? Nope, sorry.

JimHarrington wrote:
That license specifically permitted worldwide sales. It also specifically permitted the making of new masters, which is what happened (note that the GEM series discs have different graphics, and which the red-logo tracks that were produced by MCPS don't have a new logo on the title card, the graphics were re-mastered for that purpose.) The discs were sold outright to Slep-Tone during the time period of the license and imported into the U.S.
And?.... keep going..... don't forge the part about the letter from the MCPS attorney that explained this action went far beyond the allowable scope of the license? And what only appeared as a loophole was closed down shortly after.... The discs weren't even pressed in the U.K., they were pressed in the Czech Republic by Fermata... So I doubt the discs/masters even saw the light of day in England but that's just speculation... And it's pretty interesting that even an accomplished internet snoop like me can't seem to find anything on this "FSC Mediaplace" that you claim was in busines for 6 years....

JimHarrington wrote:
All of this was perfectly legal according to the terms of the license and MCPS's practices. MCPS admitted as much in an affidavit--and MCPS was the lawful agent of EMI's UK affiliates at the time the license was issued. Shortly after that affidavit was produced, the case settled.
"the case settled" is pretty ambiguous... how about "we agreed to settle the case" because EMI was ready to go to trial and you certainly wouldn't have wanted anyone like a judge or jury to make any determination on the outcome.

JimHarrington wrote:
It's time for you to stop lying. The fact that you've read EMI's accusations does not acquaint you with the facts.
Which part is a lie? That you ended up paying a settlement? You can neither confirm or deny that remember?

A lie would be if I said that your "settlement included an agreement for you to sleep with stuffed toy for 6 years." You could certainly deny that right? It seems as though what you can neither confirm or deny has struck a little close to home.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

It amazes me how you can accuse me of lying when the Declaration of Simon Bourn (Senior Counsel at MCPS) made it clear Slep-Tone had no right to do what they did.

If the MCPS license actually permitted what you were doing, why did you settle?
If you were correct, then Slep-Tone/PEP would have been the "prevailing partiy" and entitled to recover fees and costs and that certainly didn't happen...

Actions speak far louder than words and I don't just "read accusations" to acquaint myself with the facts, nor do I take your word as being 100% truth either.

But, I'm the "liar?" Really?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:42 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

It amazes me how you can accuse me of lying when the Declaration of Simon Bourn (Senior Counsel at MCPS) made it clear Slep-Tone had no right to do what they did.

I think you are mischaracterizing that declaration. Slep-Tone had no agreement with MCPS, so of course it had no rights under the agreement between MCPS and FSC Mediaplas. FSC made an outright sale of these discs to Slep-Tone. That sale was permitted under the terms of the agreement.

c. staley wrote:

If the MCPS license actually permitted what you were doing, why did you settle?
If you were correct, then Slep-Tone/PEP would have been the "prevailing partiy" and entitled to recover fees and costs and that certainly didn't happen...

There is no automatic recovery of attorney fees, even if you are the prevailing party. By settling the lawsuit with them, we got to avoid the expense of a trial (and trials are uncertain, regardless of whether you think you'll win or not) AND they agreed to join our HELP publishers' pool. That's a good deal.

c. staley wrote:

What makes you a liar is that you are asserting something as fact that you cannot possibly know to be true. No one who is in a position to know is allowed to tell you anything. You clearly don't care whether you're telling the truth or not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:

What makes you a liar is that you are asserting something as fact that you cannot possibly know to be true. No one who is in a position to know is allowed to tell you anything. You clearly don't care whether you're telling the truth or not.
And as you said: This is not court." But I believe that we can ascertain the outcome of this entire settlement with one of your favorite phrases: "a preponderance of the evidence."

And simply because that overwhelming evidence obviously points to a monetary settlement doesn't make me a liar at all. I understand that in order for you to maintain even a shred of credibility even though you cannot discuss the details of the settlement, your excuses for settling at all when you claim that everything you did was "legal" simply doesn't make sense.

Like finding a turtle stranded on the top of a 4-foot fence post, one can calculate how it got there (circumstantial evidence.) While you may not know the actual facts on who or how the turtle was placed on the fence post, you do know for a fact that the turtle didn't get there on its own. Even if the turtle is unable to discuss any details about how it got there.

You of all people should know the definition of a lie is knowing the truth – and purposely not telling the truth when you are free to do so.

While you're simply not free to discuss the "terms of the settlement" – you're always free to tell the truth about how that settlement came to exist. It's about that part of the story that I believe you're not being entirely truthful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
And simply because that overwhelming evidence obviously points to a monetary settlement doesn't make me a liar at all.

The problem is that it doesn't point to a monetary settlement. You're suffering from confirmation bias. You believe we paid a monetary settlement, so you pick "evidence" that supports your assertion, ignoring everything that doesn't.

The lie you're telling isn't the assertion that we paid a monetary settlement. You believe that, and there is nothing I can legally do or say that will dissuade you from it. Your mind is made up, so saying that we did isn't technically a lie.

The lie is that your assertion is based on actual evidence, when it's not. That's an objective fact.

You are making numerous unwarranted assumptions about our motivations and about those of the plaintiffs. For example, you see that the trial date was approaching when we settled, and you assume, entirely without evidence, that we were the ones who caved. Is it not at least as likely that the plaintiffs, seeing that they were not likely to win, decided to cave instead? I'll point out, by the way, that the plaintiffs were demanding damages into the billions of dollars (based on their attorney's faulty understanding of how statutory damages work). I think you know that nobody at Slep-Tone had billions of dollars or even millions of dollars available to meet the plaintiffs' demands. Can your brain possibly wrap itself around the idea that we couldn't possibly have just "decided to settle" on their terms?

You've claimed that the length of time that case went on is evidence that we did something wrong. But if you've read the docket as you claimed, you know that discovery in the case was stayed for more than a year while the plaintiffs figured out whether they actually owned the works they were suing over. (Hint: In most cases, they couldn't show ownership at all.) Imagine what your position would be if we sued a KJ for infringing intellectual property we didn't own. You would fill up the internet with scathing commentary about how evil we are.

Look, I get that your brain is incapable of recognizing and understanding nuances. It's one of the reasons why you make a terrible legal "consultant." But you would benefit from taking a step back and at least trying to have a little objectivity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
The problem is that it doesn't point to a monetary settlement. You're suffering from confirmation bias. You believe we paid a monetary settlement, so you pick "evidence" that supports your assertion, ignoring everything that doesn't.

The lie you're telling isn't the assertion that we paid a monetary settlement. You believe that, and there is nothing I can legally do or say that will dissuade you from it. Your mind is made up, so saying that we did isn't technically a lie.
Either it is, or it isn't. Make up your mind. But if "saying so isn't technically a lie," then logic would dictate that the only other choice you have is the truth and I'll take that as an admission counsel, thanks.
JimHarrington wrote:
The lie is that your assertion is based on actual evidence, when it's not. That's an objective fact.
I would be very interested in knowing exactly what "actual evidence" you think has been presented.
JimHarrington wrote:
You are making numerous unwarranted assumptions about our motivations and about those of the plaintiffs. For example, you see that the trial date was approaching when we settled, and you assume, entirely without evidence, that we were the ones who caved. Is it not at least as likely that the plaintiffs, seeing that they were not likely to win, decided to cave instead?
That would be called "a voluntary dismissal." Something that I believe you're very familiar with. I don't think they would be very interested in sticking around for your sales job on why they should participate in your help licensing program and I don't believe that any of my "numerous assumptions" are unwarranted. Not to settle with them would have put your entire business at risk.
JimHarrington wrote:
I'll point out, by the way, that the plaintiffs were demanding damages into the billions of dollars (based on their attorney's faulty understanding of how statutory damages work). I think you know that nobody at Slep-Tone had billions of dollars or even millions of dollars available to meet the plaintiffs' demands. Can your brain possibly wrap itself around the idea that we couldn't possibly have just "decided to settle" on their terms?
You mean Kurt's insurance carrier was not ready to be on the spot with a check again? You've done the same thing in your lawsuits – ask for hundreds of thousands of dollars for statutory trademark infringement damages when you know full well that a defendant is not able to pay it. Settlements are negotiated and usually structured in a form that a defendant can pay. As a matter of fact, I'm sure that in many of your settlements, you've even structured it to make it a convenient payment plan with the sale of the gems series, or even a help license. so there's no need for you to hold out the tin cup again like you're some kind of destitute victim.

JimHarrington wrote:
You've claimed that the length of time that case went on is evidence that we did something wrong. But if you've read the docket as you claimed, you know that discovery in the case was stayed for more than a year while the plaintiffs figured out whether they actually owned the works they were suing over. (Hint: In most cases, they couldn't show ownership at all.) Imagine what your position would be if we sued a KJ for infringing intellectual property we didn't own. You would fill up the internet with scathing commentary about how evil we are.
more word salad. And you claim that everything you did with licensing in the UK was on the up and up, fair and square, and legal. But in all of the time it took for this case to progress, you were unable to prove to a court – or even present to the court – that the lawsuit against you was without merit even with MCPS claiming that what happened with licensing was legal?
H-O-G-W-A-S-H.
JimHarrington wrote:
Look, I get that your brain is incapable of recognizing and understanding nuances. It's one of the reasons why you make a terrible legal "consultant." But you would benefit from taking a step back and at least trying to have a little objectivity.
I believe it is spending the money and taking the time to do the necessary research – reading through all of the documents and the exhibits – including yours - that actually makes me more objective than the average KJ in this business. And that's one of the main reasons why I would not agree with you that my assumptions are unwarranted, I do the homework that others are unwilling to do. You would have to admit that if you were as legal as you claim you were, there wouldn't be much for me to say and that lawsuit would've not lasted very long at all. I would have the hard evidence right in front of me from the court system that you were in fact correct and I would have my crow with just a little salt and pepper.

Instead, all I get from you is more of the first course… word salad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
Either it is, or it isn't. Make up your mind. But if "saying so isn't technically a lie," then logic would dictate that the only other choice you have is the truth and I'll take that as an admission counsel, thanks.

Here's a good example of your inability to understand nuances of language.

If you believe something is true, then saying it isn't a lie even if it's false. A statement can be false and still not be a lie.

c. staley wrote:
I would be very interested in knowing exactly what "actual evidence" you think has been presented.

I don't think any "actual evidence" has been presented. I think you've looked at a handful of public documents (and none of the non-public ones) and made a bunch of assumptions that don't track.

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
You are making numerous unwarranted assumptions about our motivations and about those of the plaintiffs. For example, you see that the trial date was approaching when we settled, and you assume, entirely without evidence, that we were the ones who caved. Is it not at least as likely that the plaintiffs, seeing that they were not likely to win, decided to cave instead?
That would be called "a voluntary dismissal." Something that I believe you're very familiar with. I don't think they would be very interested in sticking around for your sales job on why they should participate in your help licensing program and I don't believe that any of my "numerous assumptions" are unwarranted.

At that stage of the case, they could not voluntarily dismiss the case without our agreement or the judge's. I am very confident, having been in the room with him on numerous occasions, that the judge would not simply have let them walk away voluntarily.

c. staley wrote:
Not to settle with them would have put your entire business at risk.

So, which is it? We fought against them for two years because our business wasn't at risk, or we settled with them because it was at risk?

All litigation is risky. All trials are risky.

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
I'll point out, by the way, that the plaintiffs were demanding damages into the billions of dollars (based on their attorney's faulty understanding of how statutory damages work). I think you know that nobody at Slep-Tone had billions of dollars or even millions of dollars available to meet the plaintiffs' demands. Can your brain possibly wrap itself around the idea that we couldn't possibly have just "decided to settle" on their terms?
You mean Kurt's insurance carrier was not ready to be on the spot with a check again? You've done the same thing in your lawsuits – ask for hundreds of thousands of dollars for statutory trademark infringement damages when you know full well that a defendant is not able to pay it. Settlements are negotiated and usually structured in a form that a defendant can pay. As a matter of fact, I'm sure that in many of your settlements, you've even structured it to make it a convenient payment plan with the sale of the gems series, or even a help license. so there's no need for you to hold out the tin cup again like you're some kind of destitute victim.

Our insurance carrier covered the cost of our defense. It is unclear whether they would have been on the hook if there had been a judgment--but, of course, we'll never know.

By the way, we don't "ask for hundreds of thousands of dollars for statutory trademark damages." We recite what the limits of the law are, but we generally ask for around $50,000 per system, which is the approximate value of what most defendants steal from us.

c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
more word salad. And you claim that everything you did with licensing in the UK was on the up and up, fair and square, and legal. But in all of the time it took for this case to progress, you were unable to prove to a court – or even present to the court – that the lawsuit against you was without merit even with MCPS claiming that what happened with licensing was legal?

All of this demonstrates that you don't understand how cases get resolved prior to trial.

There are two ways for cases to be resolved in favor of the defendant prior to trial. One, the complaint can be dismissed because the allegations, if assumed to be true, don't add up to a valid claim. Two, after discovery, if there are no genuine disputes of material fact, the judge can grant summary judgment to one side or the other.

The complaint itself, if you assumed the allegations to be true, did add up to valid claims, so there was no dismissal. (That says nothing about the actual merits of the claims, just that if you read their side only and assumed they were telling the truth, then the case can proceed.) We didn't even ask for a dismissal, because it would have been pointless.

So that left summary judgment. Technically you can ask for summary judgment at any time, but if you do it before discovery is completed, the judge will in 99.99% of cases allow the plaintiff to complete discovery, because not allowing the plaintiff to complete discovery is an easy reason to reverse on appeal. Because the plaintiffs dragged their feet for years--literally years--in discovery, we never even got to the point where we could even ask for summary judgment. By the time discovery was completed, they were already asking for mediation, which the judge ordered to take place before any summary judgment motion.

c. staley wrote:
You would have to admit that if you were as legal as you claim you were, there wouldn't be much for me to say and that lawsuit would've not lasted very long at all. I would have the hard evidence right in front of me from the court system that you were in fact correct and I would have my crow with just a little salt and pepper.

You can read all you like, but you understand almost nothing. I'm done trying to educate you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
JimHarrington wrote:

JimHarrington wrote:
There is no automatic recovery of attorney fees, even if you are the prevailing party. By settling the lawsuit with them, we got to avoid the expense of a trial (and trials are uncertain, regardless of whether you think you'll win or not) AND they agreed to join our HELP publishers' pool. That's a good deal.

Wait...I have a question. If everything you did with EMI was perfectly legal AND you had proof of such, why on earth would you choose to settle rather than filing a Motion for Summary Judgment, which you most certainly would have won based on the law....RIGHT????

Something is a little stinky here, counselor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

birdofsong wrote:
Wait...I have a question. If everything you did with EMI was perfectly legal AND you had proof of such, why on earth would you choose to settle rather than filing a Motion for Summary Judgment, which you most certainly would have won based on the law....RIGHT????

So, let's say we do that, and we win.

What do you think happens the next time we go to those plaintiffs and ask for licenses for new production?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
birdofsong wrote:

What do you think happens the next time we go to those plaintiffs and ask for licenses for new production?

Okay, I'll play along...didn't you also say that they agreed that you had not infringed, so why on earth wouldn't they have been willing to just sign a stip and order and be done with it? I may not be an attorney, but I've been filing dismissal orders for 25 years and I have yet to see a judge reject one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

birdofsong wrote:
Okay, I'll play along...didn't you also say that they agreed that you had not infringed, so why on earth wouldn't they have been willing to just sign a stip and order and be done with it?

I said that MCPS agreed with our position, not the plaintiffs. The plaintiffs disagreed. (When the case was settled, there was a stipulated dismissal.)

birdofsong wrote:
I may not be an attorney, but I've been filing dismissal orders for 25 years and I have yet to see a judge reject one.

If they're signed by both parties, the judge can't reject the dismissal. But if not all parties agree, the judge is free to refuse a voluntary dismissal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
A statement can be false and still not be a lie.
Yep. Here's and example; "We're Getting The Band Back Together."

Jury is still out on that one.

JimHarrington wrote:
I don't think any "actual evidence" has been presented. I think you've looked at a handful of public documents (and none of the non-public ones) and made a bunch of assumptions that don't track.
You weren't so unclear about it just a few posts back:
JimHarrington wrote:
Hmmm... first you were so sure about it... and now you "don't think?"

JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
That would be called "a voluntary dismissal." Something that I believe you're very familiar with. I don't think they would be very interested in sticking around for your sales job on why they should participate in your help licensing program and I don't believe that any of my "numerous assumptions" are unwarranted.

At that stage of the case, they could not voluntarily dismiss the case without our agreement or the judge's. I am very confident, having been in the room with him on numerous occasions, that the judge would not simply have let them walk away voluntarily.
So you are asserting that if they wanted to dismiss you after 2 years in court, you'd say; "No! Keep suing us!" Or a Judge saying; "Nope. I know you both want out of the suit, but I've got more popcorn and we're going forward."

See how childishly stupid that sounds? Because that's all you're offering.

JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
Not to settle with them would have put your entire business at risk.

So, which is it? We fought against them for two years because our business wasn't at risk, or we settled with them because it was at risk?
All litigation is risky. All trials are risky.
It's both: You fought with them for 2 years because your business was at risk and you settled with them because the risk factor became too great.

And here's a new one for you: You asked for the help license stuff to help fund your on-going settlement payments because if you're being this defensive, the settlement must have been a whopper.
JimHarrington wrote:
You can read all you like, but you understand almost nothing. I'm done trying to educate you.
I think I understand far more than you'd like.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
birdofsong wrote:

So you're basically saying that you settled with them for fear of retribution, even though your position is that you were legally correct? So really, other publishers could sue you just to produce a settlement, because you wouldn't ever fight them, even if youhad a correct legal position, because they may decide not to work with you in the future? If you were so afraid of retribution, why would you have fought EMI for two years?