KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - US Court of Appeals upholds court ruling against PEP Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Exactly Paradigm.
Here is another explanation (from the net) of the differences which is pretty good. But the real kicker here demonstrates why Harrington refers to gem holders and certified KJ's as "controlled licensees" now in order to keep suing venues.

Quote:
What is a service mark?

A service mark (or servicemark) is a word, phrase, symbol or logo that is used to brand, identify, and distinguish a service. ["Burger King" is a restaurant service.]This is in contrast to a trademark, which is a word, phrase, symbol or logo that is used to brand, identify, and distinguish a product. ["Whopper" is a product/good they sell]

So in plain English, you would need a service mark if your business provides a service, rather than a product. While this might seem straightforward enough, there are a few intricacies to iron out.

Examples of service marks

A restaurant or retail store might deal in physical items, but they actually require service marks. McDonald’s is a registered service mark for restaurant services. Similarly, Walmart is a registered service mark for retail store services.

In contrast, if you sold a line of jewelry products or clothing products, then you would want to get a trademark for your product line. Tiffany & Co is a registered trademark for a line of jewelry products, and Nike is a registered trademark for a line of footwear and clothing products.

A few cases would call for both a trademark registration and a service mark.

Suppose FedEx came up with a new slogan: “Faster than a lightning bolt.” If FedEx used the slogan to brand its shipping and delivery services, it would be registered as a service mark. The delivery of items around the country is a service that the company provides. It is not a tangible good or product.

Now assume that FedEx decided to expand its product line by selling boxes and packaging materials. If the company were to put the lightning bolt slogan on those items, the phrase would become a trademark, because it brands an actual product being offered by the company. It’s all a question of context.

Long story short: KJ's that have agreements with PEP are providing "Sound Choice karaoke service" and they are therefore using the service mark as though they are controlled by their license with PEP. Hence the new designation by Harrington that what were once "customers" are now "controlled licensees."

Is that a surprise?

If you have a contract with them, read it again and see if it contains any mention of them monitoring the "quality of service you provide to your customers". I think you'll find it near the section that gives them the rights to inspect your business accounting records too.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:39 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
What service is PEP supplying? Even if they started doing karaoke shows themselves under the Sound Choice banner, another KJ using Sound Choice tracks is not attempting to claim that they are affiliated with Sound Choice. They just use their "GOODS" the same way they use anyone else's "GOODS". I guess they might have a case if someone used ONLY Sound Choice tracks exclusively and tried to pass them selves off as a Sound Choice show. I don't think that any KJ would limit themselves to only one brand of discs in an effort to capitalize on the Sound Choice name somehow. It would be career suicide. You wouldn't be able to use any songs that came out after 2010 to remain Sound Choice only. Once again. I'll take the wait and see approach to see if Jim ever wins a case based on this far fetched scheme.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Karaoke Croaker wrote:
What service is PEP supplying? Even if they started doing karaoke shows themselves under the Sound Choice banner, another KJ using Sound Choice tracks is not attempting to claim that they are affiliated with Sound Choice.

We didn't "start" doing karaoke shows ourselves. We've done karaoke shows "under the Sound Choice banner" for more than 20 years. We've also sponsored karaoke contests, under the Sound Choice mark, that directly involved providing karaoke entertainment services to venues and patrons. Since 2010, we've also had licensees—now more than 500—who provide karaoke entertainment services in connection with the Sound Choice marks. And earlier this year, we opened a wholly-owned subsidiary, Sound Choice Entertainment, LLC, that is doing business in two states and is about to add several more later this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Since 2010, we've also had licensees—now more than 500—who provide karaoke entertainment services in connection with the Sound Choice marks.

This is where Harrington purposely leaves things a little muddled. (or "obfuscates" if you want a legal term.) By using the phrase: "in connection with the Sound Choice marks." And not explaining that connection.

That "connection" is the contract these "licensees" signed that among other things, allows PEP to call them a "controlled licensee" and use them as tools for their new round of "Service Mark Lawsuits" (Or "SML'S" for short.)

Congratulations to all the PEP Minions who no longer provide karaoke entertainment to their own quality standards... because you work for and are "controlled by" your Sound Choice "licensee contract."

It's no longer a karaoke service provided by "Whiz-Bang Karaoke" that you built from scratch, but it's now "Sound Choice karaoke services" brought to you locally by Whiz-Bang Karaoke. And "they have" over 500 shows.... you're just 1 of the crowd. Like you are nothing more than a delivery service that works to their standards. They taught you everything you know, and I understand they have 8 systems in the Seattle area alone! Some local guy sets them up... but they are controlled by "Sound Choice."

What a hoot!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
Well to me this is all kind of like franchise thinking.

Someone buys an SC Gem set, and has to run it according to PEP or risk losing their license. While most franchise will only let you buy and use certain products (Think McDonalds), PEP does allow the use of other brands in the KJs inventory (Like ACE hardware)

With the PRIME paid extension of this, they are looking to add more services to those KJs who participate. However anyone who has paid their dues (Certified) has some interest in PEP doing well, as it should bring a better rep to the product they are using.

Honestly what us KJs think about PEP/SC is irrelevant, if a singer likes the SC brand (and many do) they might "shop" for venues to sing at. Because PEP/SC has a standard for what is expects of those in the system (Like the french fries at McDonalds), singers would walk into a venue and know what to expect.

However, if PEP is treating things similar to a franchise, it does have a responsibility to its licencees, which includes but not limited to advertising, support and other items that would help them over the KJs not in program. Only time will tell how much or little those who are in with PEP/SC programs get.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
By using the phrase: "in connection with the Sound Choice marks." And not explaining that connection.

15 U.S.C. § 1114(1):

Any person who shall, without the consent of the registrant
(a) use in commerce any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a registered mark in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services on or in connection with which such use is likely to cause confusion, or to cause mistake, or to deceive [...] shall be liable in a civil action by the registrant for the remedies hereinafter provided.

Key bolded parts:

(1) without the consent of the registrant: "consent" comes in the form of a license
(2) use ... any reproduction ... of a registered mark: to apply, display, etc., a registered mark
(3) in connection with the sale, offering for sale, distribution, or advertising of any goods or services

When you have a license with us, it is our consent to use our marks, or a reproduction of them, in connection with your services.

Your explanation, as per usual, is full of editorial garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 108 times
So more people will just be using the tracks where the marks have been removed, I presume, since they have already lost on that one already. I'm guessing that those GEM tracks that were being shared earlier this year are good to use too, as soon as you remove those pesky marks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:12 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
I read many Pep/SC posts and I just shake my head. Why don't you guys quit trying to find loopholes and ways around Pep/SC?

Just buy their producs and shut your pie hole.

SoundChoice / Pep provides KJ's with excellent product at very good prices. (approx. 70 cents a track)

Too many people been ripping them off for years and that's what started it all with law suits.

If you're gonna use SC... then suck it up and buy the products or services and be done with it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:54 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 21 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
I read many Pep/SC posts and I just shake my head. Why don't you guys quit trying to find loopholes and ways around Pep/SC?

SoundChoice / Pep provides KJ's with excellent product at very good prices. (approx. 70 cents a track)

I did buy their products. I bought an entire series of one of their products with the agreement that if the product ever got broken or became unplayable they would replace it at no charge. I paid about $26 per disc while they were still manufacturing. Now they no longer make a product, and they will not replace scratched or broken discs, but they want me and everyone else who already bought them to pay for them again. I paid for the right to open my pie hole about a broken sales contract, extortion under threat of suit, and loss of product use, thank you very much.

Too many people been ripping them off for years and that's what started it all with law suits.

If you're gonna use SC... then suck it up and buy the products or services and be done with it.

That's exactly the point. Those of us who bought their product thought we WERE done with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:54 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

I'm sorry to hear you damaged your disks to the point of being unplayable. If i paid hat much for disks, I would be sure to handle them with more proper care.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:06 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
POETSkaraoke wrote:

I did buy their products. I bought an entire series of one of their products with the agreement that if the product ever got broken or became unplayable they would replace it at no charge. I paid about $26 per disc while they were still manufacturing. Now they no longer make a product, and they will not replace scratched or broken discs, but they want me and everyone else who already bought them to pay for them again. I paid for the right to open my pie hole about a broken sales contract, extortion under threat of suit, and loss of product use, thank you very much.

That's exactly the point. Those of us who bought their product thought we WERE done with it.

For the record, if you still have the discs, even if they are unplayable that is sufficient proof that you bought the songs stored on a hard drive and with an audit, should be accepted.

Now I get that most people don't think there should be an audit, or at least not have to pay for it, but that is a different topic.

I'm not going to comment on it either way, there is too much arguing on this forum as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
With all due respect:

POETSkaraoke wrote:
I did buy their products.

That purchase granted you certain rights with regard to the possession and use of that product. Those rights are predominantly oriented towards personal use. There is a very specific restriction on public performance (in the US) and that is that the venues compensate the rights holders through the PRO's. That purchase EXPLICITLY reserved certain rights for several entities from the artist, songwriter, musical composer, publisher, and eventually the karaoke producer. You simply did not purchase those rights when you obtained a CD+G product. You cannot disprove that fact.

POETSkaraoke wrote:
I bought an entire series of one of their products with the agreement that if the product ever* got broken or became unplayable they would replace it at no charge. ... Now they no longer make a product...
*emphasis mine

"Ever" is not a clear definition. This seems to be interpreted as a "life-time" guaranty or replacement policy. Most consumers see lifetime warranty to mean one of three things: the owner’s lifetime or the time he or she owns the product; the lifetime of the product itself; or the lifetime of the manufacturer. Each are valid. You basically nailed it when you said "Now they no longer make a product". This particular product "lifetime" was only the time period under which it could be manufactured. The manufacturer's "lifetime" was up until the time when they could no longer manufacture the product and were no longer in possession of any of that product. Realistically, time marches on and we all know that the entire industry changed drastically with the onset of CD duplication and then was decimated by on-line file sharing. Not one single US originated CD+G producer still standing.

POETSkaraoke wrote:
Those of us who bought their product thought we WERE done with it.

It would seem that many people thought they bought something that they did not. The entire licensing scheme and copyright and trademark systems were developed to benefit the creators of artistic and intellectual works. It worked for centuries because there was a practical barrier to duplication and exploitation, namely the very ability to manufacture a product. The advent of the digital age absolutely obliterated that barrier and left everyone in the chain vulnerable to rights violations (simple and complex) and devaluation of their "product".

I mean no disrespect to any individual, but I cannot see the rational in buying a product that specifies "do not duplicate" and then merely dismissing that as non-applicable.

What incentive would any manufacturer have to produce goods if there were absolutely no barrier, physical, financial or legal to duplication?

I am one of those that bought the product. I used the product for years, laying out the discs with the singers' slips on them queued for the karaoke player. I converted my SC CD+G's to MP3+G without permission (technically infringing) as soon as the capability was available to me. I obtained the relevant permission as soon as that was offered to me. I was not charged a fee for this. I also licensed a full GEM series when it became available. I've heard only rumors that the GEM series has been pirated/shared. I've seen no evidence whatsoever that this is true... no screenshot, no torrent seed, no video of a show, no photos. I can't help but wonder why.

I wont tell you to shut your pie hole. I'd rather hear what you have to say and continue the discussion...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

POETSkaraoke wrote:
I did buy their products. I bought an entire series of one of their products with the agreement that if the product ever got broken or became unplayable they would replace it at no charge.

The "agreement" you're describing did not exist and never has.

Slep-Tone's policy was to replace any disc that became unplayable AS LONG AS that disc remained in stock. The disc itself was free, but there was a $5 shipping and handling charge.

Think about what you're saying. If we had that kind of agreement, we would be required to keep enormous stock of every disc on hand, forever, with royalties paid, all for the purpose of replacing discs that got scratched. No reasonable person would enter into that kind of obligation, and no reasonable person would expect it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:52 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

1) FACT! The Gem series was in fact made available on quite a few IRC karaoke channels but in a lower quality Not 320 bit rate.

2) Yes we all put singer slips on top of disks back in the day and they do get scratched, Given that you have converted them to mp3+G, you are only missing 1 step, and that is to simply buy a SC Certification from PEP to get you out of that "Technical infringer" zone.

3) the other member is also correct in saying that even if the disk was broke in two, that's still a purchased product and qualifies into your certification with Pep/SC. why do you worry?

Send me a list of disks you need replacing and i'll check my CDG collection to help you out if you need. I sell many disks on here for 50 cents each.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:
Not one single US originated CD+G producer still standing.

Eh, hem!

I'm still here and I've put out more songs in 6 years than PEP.... Hmmmm Maybe I should "get the band back together?"

HarringtonLaw wrote:
Think about what you're saying. If we had that kind of agreement, we would be required to keep enormous stock of every disc on hand, forever, with royalties paid, all for the purpose of replacing discs that got scratched. No reasonable person would enter into that kind of obligation, and no reasonable person would expect it.
Not true. Since the program was an exchange, there would be no royalties on such a product because it was exchanged - the KJ had to mail in the unplayable disc. If they didn't have to surrender the original, then all bets are off and yes, royalties would apply. (according to a publisher)

(Homework Jimmy boy, homework.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:
Not one single US originated CD+G producer still standing...

party Tyme karaoke still exists, All Star karaoke still exists - both make cdg. Although it does seem All Star might have halted production - at least haven't released anything for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

1) FACT! The Gem series was in fact made available on quite a few IRC karaoke channels but in a lower quality Not 320 bit rate.

No proof... no fact. Your say so does not constitute evidence.

2) Yes we all put singer slips on top of disks back in the day and they do get scratched, Given that you have converted them to mp3+G, you are only missing 1 step, and that is to simply buy a SC Certification from PEP to get you out of that "Technical infringer" zone.

Other than displaying an utter lack of reading comprehension, this statement is simple regurgitation. Given the fact that I converted them and then obtained certification free of charge means that there is no missing step. Get it? Out of the "technical infringer zone" since 2010.

3) the other member is also correct in saying that even if the disk was broke in two, that's still a purchased product and qualifies into your certification with Pep/SC. why do you worry?

?? Apparently, you are replying to two different posts without quoting who you are replying to.

Send me a list of disks you need replacing and i'll check my CDG collection to help you out if you need. I sell many disks on here for 50 cents each.

Good to know...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:48 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I sell many disks on here for 50 cents each.

For that price i'd buy every disc you have left sight unseen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:
Not one single US originated CD+G producer still standing...

party Tyme karaoke still exists, All Star karaoke still exists - both make cdg. Although it does seem All Star might have halted production - at least haven't released anything for a while.

Party Tyme was owned by Sybersound and yes they were based out of Malibu, CA. I believe that their catalog has been bought out by KSF I guess you could say they "exist" but whether they're "still standing" as a US originated CD+G producer is debatable. (I would add that I am not certain that KSF took over CD+G production and that may remain a function of Sybersound)

All Star halted production some time last year... still standing?

Respectfully, Lonman... it's a stretch.

But, as a previous post indicated, I have discounted one US based CD+G publisher. Apparently Chip Staley has a catalog of licensed karaoke tracks that he publishes and distributes on CD+G media. This product is purported to be digitally watermarked in an effort to prohibit duplication. I'm uncertain as to retail availability, wholesale distribution or even the catalog's content but without any reliable sales stats I can't determine if this manufacturer is an example of the health and long term viability of the US based karaoke production.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman wrote:
I sell many disks on here for 50 cents each.

For that price i'd buy every disc you have left sight unseen

Haha! For that price, I'd double the price and take every single CD+G she has.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next