KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Chartbuster Registration????? Mr Harrington??? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
cueball wrote:
djdon wrote:
c. staley wrote:
By the way, while you're sending out $50 for no reason other than "not to be sued" don't forget to send me $35 for not suing you either.... I'm a much better deal.

Well, Chip, you're just... wrong about this. If you decide to not only read but actually comprehend and understand what people write, things may actually begin to make sense to you.

YOU.. are not going to sue me because YOU don't own the trademark. I know that's tough to comprehend...

@ djdon.... Where did Chip say anything about him suing you for the trademark? All I saw was Chip saying that if you're willing to shell out money to one entity just for the reason of not being sued, then Chip would like you to send him money not to sue you as well. Now, here is where your reading comprehension will come in handy. Chip never said anything about what he would sue you for (if you don't give in to his demands for $35). For all you know, he might sue you for eating pork during Lent.

:reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil: :reddevil:

We're talking about being sued for *trademark infringement*. He said it right in what you quoted lol. "don't forget to send me $35 for not suing you either" PEP wants me to send them money so they won't sue me for *trademark infringement*. Chip wants me to send him money as well, so he won't sue me.... for... what else would he sue me for? Trademark infringement is what we're talking about.

Now go stand in the corner and not think of a white bear.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
djdon wrote:
What would my counterclaim be? "You can't trademark troll you big meanies!"? It's not going to stop them from trolling.

check your messages.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
You are scared and intimidated by them because you pulled Sound Choice (can't speak for Chartbuster but I am guessing you don't use their product either).

Oh, let's see if I understand you correctly.... you claim that I'm "scared and intimidated by them?"

Really?

I "pulled Sound Choice" because they "changed the rules" remember? I don't waffle back and forth (like you) because unlike Slep, I don't go back on my word.

Even you at one time considered dropping the label.... but because you'd already spent so much, you decided to keep it....

I'm the guy that's always been "following the rules" and you have a problem with it because I refuse to continually finance their existence or pay more than once for something I purchased going on 25 years ago.

Hopefully, someday you'll grow a backbone not made of rubber.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:27 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Well considering I know someone who has been sued... The $50 shakedown might be worth it to some people to keep the boogeyman away.

The family of the KJ settled because it was just easier and cheaper then fighting them in court (The family would have won, the collection is over 2,000 original karaoke CDs).

This is exactly what they count on and it's costing them about $400 to file the suit and the settlements are far greater....

It's their business. It's all they do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:36 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

djdon wrote:
We're talking about being sued for *trademark infringement*. He said it right in what you quoted lol. "don't forget to send me $35 for not suing you either" PEP wants me to send them money so they won't sue me for *trademark infringement*. Chip wants me to send him money as well, so he won't sue me.... for... what else would he sue me for? Trademark infringement is what we're talking about.

No, Cueball is actually right.... The $35 is nothing more than the same "covenant not to sue" that PEPtone sells... except it's not trademark specific.... I'll take the $35 for not suing you for ANY reason.... I wouldn't dream of limiting it to trademark.

See what a better deal I am?

And it's good for 7 years, not just the measly 5 years like peptone so you get almost 50% MORE for 30% less!

It's a limited time offer (good only during this century) so send in your money now and get your certificate ready for framing!

Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Trust me.... I'm a KJ....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:06 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
c. staley wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
You are scared and intimidated by them because you pulled Sound Choice (can't speak for Chartbuster but I am guessing you don't use their product either).

Oh, let's see if I understand you correctly.... you claim that I'm "scared and intimidated by them?"

Really?

I "pulled Sound Choice" because they "changed the rules" remember? I don't waffle back and forth (like you) because unlike Slep, I don't go back on my word.

Even you at one time considered dropping the label.... but because you'd already spent so much, you decided to keep it....

I'm the guy that's always been "following the rules" and you have a problem with it because I refuse to continually finance their existence or pay more than once for something I purchased going on 25 years ago.

Hopefully, someday you'll grow a backbone not made of rubber.

To correct your misinformation......

I didn't keep SC product because of my investment. I could sell off all of my SC product and make back what I paid for it many times over. I kept SC because I like the product and my customers like the product.

As for the rest of your bullshit......it is just that.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:20 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
c. staley wrote:
djdon wrote:

No, Cueball is actually right.... The $35 is nothing more than the same "covenant not to sue" that PEPtone sells... except it's not trademark specific.... I'll take the $35 for not suing you for ANY reason.... I wouldn't dream of limiting it to trademark.

Thank you Chip (for understanding my tongue-in-cheek humor). DJDon... go back to your corner and draw me a picture of those White Bears you think I'm seeing. Remember.. Reading is Fundamental (or fun for da mental).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 197 times
cueball wrote:
c. staley wrote:
djdon wrote:

Thank you Chip (for understanding my tongue-in-cheek humor). DJDon... go back to your corner and draw me a picture of those White Bears you think I'm seeing. Remember.. Reading is Fundamental (or fun for da mental).

But I was never IN my corner. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:14 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

chrisavis wrote:
To correct your misinformation......

I didn't keep SC product because of my investment. I could sell off all of my SC product and make back what I paid for it many times over. I kept SC because I like the product and my customers like the product.

As for the rest of your bullshit......it is just that.

Really? Weren't you the author of the thread; "Keep or Drop Sound Choice?"

Let's see who's really full of bull....
These are your words, not mine. But I did add SOME of the highlighting....
chrisavis wrote:
To be clear.....

I Don't Want To Drop Sound Choice

....but I am fed up with the way Sound Choice ISN'T handling piracy and how they continue to enable pirates to compete more effectively against legitimate hosts.

I am contemplating another avenue altogether as well so pulling Sound Choice is not my only option.

-Chris

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28420&p=368217&hilit=drop#p368217

chrisavis wrote:
If I were to pull Sound Choice, I would have no intention of just keeping the discs in my basement. I would toss them up on eBay and make a pretty penny from them. More than enough to buy up music from other vendors to fill in the collection.

-Chris

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28420&hilit=drop&start=40#p368552

chrisavis wrote:
UPDATE: It has been a mixed bag of PM responses on my Facebook post. Mostly from semi-regulars and KJ's in the area that are familiar with Sound Choice activities. Most of these people think I should keep Sound Choice. They are experienced folks with brand awareness.

Some of the folks are indifferent. They are also mostly experienced folks, but also new KJ's that never had the large investment in Sound Choice in the first place.

A very small number of folks (2) are passionately supportive of my pulling Sound Choice. The interesting aspect of this is that one of those people saw two of their favorite pirate hosts go away after the lawsuits a couple years back. I can't help but smile at the irony of hating Sound Choice because a pirate host folded. The other one is more pragmatic about things and shares a very similar view to all of this that I have.

I believe I could suffer a short term hit by removing Sound Choice and acclimating singers to different versions of their songs, but I don't feel it is worth the trouble. Besides, it would be hypocritical of me to pull Sound Choice at my show then *&%$&# when I go to another karaoke show and they don't have the Sound Choice songs I want to sing.

So for now....Sound Choice stays.

-Chris

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28420&hilit=drop&start=40#p368653

Waffle, waffle.... :bouncer: boing, boing....

Apparently, your principles aren't worth the trouble either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:44 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
A big problem that I see is all those that went through the SC audits had their hard drives looked at so SC/PEP knows just who has CB. They know just who to go after and if those that are SC Certified do not submit for PEP's CB certification then they will go after them for not submitting. Via this board they know exactly who is running CB and I'm sure have compiled a list and will be visiting them first. SC/PEP has become the scourge of Karaoke and will kill it in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:56 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
They didn't look at anything on my hard drive other than SC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:06 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Lonman wrote:

Did they scan your hard drive? Did you submit a copy of all your songs (ie a song book) Did they see even 1 CB disc in you library? If so they know. Your website shows that you have CB songs so they know...'Nuf said.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Lone Wolf wrote:
Lonman wrote:

Did they scan your hard drive? Did you submit a copy of all your songs (ie a song book) Did they see even 1 CB disc in you library? If so they know. Your website shows that you have CB songs so they know...'Nuf said.
Yep, did everything I needed to at the time of the audit.
I'm sure they know I use CB among almost every other brand in the world as i've said it on just about every forum from here to back to the JOLT days. But they did NOT see them on my hard drive because they were not looking for anything other than SC. I'm guessing (strictly a guess) they may have acquired all sales records from the CB sales too, but that is complete speculation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:32 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 50 times
Poor mans copyright has saves my arse before... I'd have to bring the physical disks to court as well..
They own the trademark...end of story. Win or lose they can still make your life miserable unless you can afford
the time and expense or like my former employer: Enjoy using the court as a slot machine.
Many of us don't need the headache.
It is a shame that lawyers have twisted the law until laws contradict themselves and tie the judges hands into only one course
of action depending on the skill of the lawer $$$$$$. Judges have lost their ability to Judge.

Those "Scare Tactics" have done a fine job of scaring clubs... The world is not made of lawyers and us peons dont have the luxury of sitting around waiting for years spending endless amounts of money for lawyers to go jerk off and laugh all the way to the bank.
Principle will get you killed very quickly and no one else will give a crap that you are gone so you use reason and avoid the problem in the first place. Move to florida... fun place, don't forget to put a lawyer on permanent retainer. :evil:

c. staley wrote:
screamersusa wrote:
I intend to photograph my current collection with my logo and business card and send 3 certified and notarized copies out. 2 to me (only gets opened in court) and one to PEP.

The whole "only gets opened in court" bit doesn't hold water... and it's known as the "poor man’s copyright."

It’s a nice idea, but the problem with the poor man’s copyright is that it doesn’t work. The humorless federal copyright office explains on its website, “The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a ‘poor man’s copyright.’ There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.”

I don't understand the reasoning why you would mail yourself photos... Is it to prove you had possession of the discs .... at one time?

Even though Mr. Harrington would like to scare you into believing that you somehow "should register your purchase" with him implying some legal issue in the future, you are under no legal obligation to "register" anything with him or any other manufacturer. Just as I am under no obligation to register any disc purchases or hard drives I might have purchased directly from the (now defunct) previous manufacturer.

If you are doing this for your own peace of mind, then his scare tactic has worked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
I'll respond to several other points later today, but about the "poor man's copyright"...

If I mailed myself an unsealed, empty envelope, certified mail, then later put something in the envelope and sealed it, would that be proof of possession on the date of mailing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
I'll respond to several other points later today, but about the "poor man's copyright"...

If I mailed myself an unsealed, empty envelope, certified mail, then later put something in the envelope and sealed it, would that be proof of possession on the date of mailing?

Holy crapola! Is this this semblance of an agreement on a single point?

Has hell frozen over?

Of course you had to change the parameters of he original action by including "unsealed, empty, envelope" which of course implies that you'd be doing this with the intent (forethought) of committing some type of fraud to begin with.

And that doesn't surprise me one bit.

A person who does the "poor man's copyright" would have the postal service stamp the seal(ed) envelope all along the seal just to avoid your suggested type of fraud.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Lonman wrote:

Yeah, you might want to ask if you'll have to submit (and pay for) another audit that covers the CB trademark since it was not completed the first time around...

Or should they just "trust you?"....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:15 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Well considering I know someone who has been sued... The $50 shakedown might be worth it to some people to keep the boogeyman away.

The family of the KJ settled because it was just easier and cheaper then fighting them in court (The family would have won, the collection is over 2,000 original karaoke CDs).

Well, that's just foolish.

Every operator is offered the opportunity to show 1:1 correspondence. If you have 1:1 correspondence, there is absolutely no way that settling is "easier and cheaper" than showing your discs and your hard drive, getting a certification and dismissal, and moving on.

Toastedmuffin wrote:
The fact that PEP had nothing to do with the CB product bothers me endlessly, the cost is low because PEP bought a trademark where the former company put it out in so many formats, it's much harder to prove if you stole it. If PEP bought something like Legends CDGs trademark, they could do that $250 audit process again, because it was never released as digital media or in any other format then CD.

The cost is low because our aim with registration, as with certification, is only to cover the administrative cost of the program. What we're offering through the CB registration program is the opportunity to raise your hand, tell us what you've got, and get a binding, permanent, and unequivocal authorization to use the materials you purchased in the format that makes the most sense for your operations. Our approach to enforcement of the CB trademarks will be different from the SC enforcement methods, and this is the first step.

We were criticized endlessly for not giving SC disc owners the opportunity to do something like this before we began suing them. Now that we're implementing this program for CB, we're still getting criticized--which tells me that the point of all this isn't some real objection to the approach, but just a promise to complain no matter what we do.

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Considering how much they have advertised the Chartbusters acquisition and PEPs registration policy, along with its 'sue first, ask questions later' tactic, $50 might be worth it. Of course, who knows how long that registration lasts for, or what you are really getting. And the idea of them having a master list of KJs to check in on whenever they need some quick cash gives me the shivers.

Registration and the covenant not to sue that accompanies it will be permanent. Of course, we'll have a list of KJs who are CB registered, and I expect we'll market our products to them in the future--but it won't be a situation where we'll be able to force the KJs on this list to pay us more money.

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Also in light of the karaoke UK lawsuit, PEP must be dancing up a storm.

All we are interested in is a level playing field. If that's the result of this action, we'll be happy about it. Otherwise, it has zero impact on what we're planning to do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
I "pulled Sound Choice" because they "changed the rules" remember?

The only change we made to the rules was to make it legally possible for you to do what you were apparently already doing without authorization.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

c. staley wrote:
And it's good for 7 years, not just the measly 5 years like peptone so you get almost 50% MORE for 30% less!

The CB registration will be permanent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next