KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Found a place for SC and KC downloads! Is this legal? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:52 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Found this: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A16385601 ... 1454351409
Now I know that it is only the music but with such can one make his own CDG's?

Not only SC and Karaoke Channel but lots of others too.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Lone Wolf wrote:
Found this: http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A16385601 ... 1454351409
Now I know that it is only the music but with such can one make his own CDG's?

Not only SC and Karaoke Channel but lots of others too.

This is definitely not legal, at least as to any track to which the SC name or logo is attached, whether in the track itself or in the information about the track on Amazon. Thanks for the tip; we'll get them taken down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
They are only the MP3 part. No graphics.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
yeah, but they are advertising them as SC tracks while they are Stingray tracks. they can't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
yeah, but they are advertising them as SC tracks while they are Stingray tracks. they can't do that.

Now, I am CONFUSED (more-so than any normal person would be if they went to a show where the KJ played media-shifted SC tracks without permission). Are they SC tracks or Stingray tracks?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 130 times
I'm confused by how this could be any surprise to anyone at SC. Amazon has been selling these mp3's, clearly labeled as Sound Choice, for many years now!

Not to confuse anyone who may be getting too excited by this. They are the backing tracks only, no graphics, just mp3's.

Yes, there's nothing to stop you from getting the necessary software and creating a .cdg file to display the graphics yourself. But using that outside your home would require you getting the same licensing from the music publishers that own the rights to those lyrics as it would for any karaoke manufacturer. None of that is easy and none of that is cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Elementary Penguin wrote:
I'm confused by how this could be any surprise to anyone at SC. Amazon has been selling these mp3's, clearly labeled as Sound Choice, for many years now!

Exactly... this is not "news" by any stretch.

Elementary Penguin wrote:
Not to confuse anyone who may be getting too excited by this. They are the backing tracks only, no graphics, just mp3's.

Yes, there's nothing to stop you from getting the necessary software and creating a .cdg file to display the graphics yourself. But using that outside your home would require you getting the same licensing from the music publishers that own the rights to those lyrics as it would for any karaoke manufacturer. None of that is easy and none of that is cheap.

You're right.... No KJ would ever get a "single license" from a music publisher for their own business -- there's just not enough money to bother with it, but as far as adding graphics and sweeps, it's really not expensive and it's not difficult to do.

I doubt that any music publisher will start suing KJ's. If they were, they would have gone after all the gem series folks first since they did not pay for any licensing when they copied the tracks (creating an unlicensed copy to use in commercial venues) onto their computer from the original discs. Same thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
cueball wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

Now, I am CONFUSED (more-so than any normal person would be if they went to a show where the KJ played media-shifted SC tracks without permission). Are they SC tracks or Stingray tracks?

SC sold the copyrights to those tracks to Stingray back in '07. SC does not own them anymore (they DID license their use to make discs though, kinda like SBI and Sunfly using the same music tracks, one licensed it from the other) so now they are Stingray tracks. SC can not have them taken down for copyright (Stingray owns that) but they CAN have them taken down for calling them SC tracks when they are not. since they are downloads, the current licensing for those tracks is through Stingray therefore making this a real case of trademark infringement.