KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Are CDG Rippers illegal ? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:17 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Hi all,

Bit of a strange one this, so am hoping someone can make some sense out of it. For a limited time last year, the UK Government made it Legal for you to RIP CD's that you already own, then a few months later they done a U-turn & made it illegal again. Now in Karaoke land, there is not only Software that allows you to rip CDG files, but also various players, that will rip to storage devices.

So my question is that as it is illegal to rip copyrighted works and shift to another media, are CDG Rippers Illegal ?

Many Thanks

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:32 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Yes and no. Depending on the laws governed in your territory for one and also granted permission from the manufacturer of the disk.

Back in the day when cassette tapes were introduced... shortly after they introduced Cassette tape recorders. Just because it is illegal to copy, doesn't mean they will "enforce" evolution in technology.

In Canada there is a "Digital" license you can acquire that allows you to "Rip" your disks to hard drive but with karaoke permission from the manufacture of the product is a definite requirement before you "Rip"

Cheers!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:42 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Yes and no. Depending on the laws governed in your territory for one and also granted permission from the manufacturer of the disk.

Back in the day when cassette tapes were introduced... shortly after they introduced Cassette tape recorders. Just because it is illegal to copy, doesn't mean they will "enforce" evolution in technology.

In Canada there is a "Digital" license you can acquire that allows you to "Rip" your disks to hard drive but with karaoke permission from the manufacture of the product is a definite requirement before you "Rip"

Cheers!

That is really interesting to know, thank you :). A few years ago I used to run an Internet Radio Station via a host on Shoutcast. I paid a set fee each month which was the £20 ($40 Canadian) & this included a fee to the PRS. I unfortunately had to stop as the PRS stopped the deal & wanted me to pay over £500 per year for the license, this I didn't have the means to do so as the station was run from home and was completely non profit. So do have a small bit idea of licensing in the UK, so would dread to think how much they charge Karaoke professionals here. But then we do have the TV License here as well. So licenses everywhere. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
but with karaoke permission from the manufacture of the product is a definite requirement before you "Rip"

Cheers!

That is BULL POOPOO, unless you are talking about SLEPPY/PEPPY. They are the ONLY ones looking to bother people over this issue. Not ONE other mfr is expecting people to get permission to shift. Michael from KSF even explained that Party Tyme could not grant permission to rip, BUT they would not get in the business of litigating against people who did it.

Most of the other brands are dead, so there is no one to get permission from. KNF, do not mislead people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:33 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

not... I've contacted many not just SC/Pep. Trust me ... and yes they have licenses for "everything" including a broadcasters license, Video Jockey License, Live performers license... They got it all covered.

Don't be testin' me Mr Smooth... you know what will happen...

Look at UK and what's goin on there also.

When I made a deal with Sunfly for their 14000 song collection, they granted me permission to change the format to what I needed to be able to work with my software/hardware.

But now on the other hand... the T.O.S states, that UK music not allowed outside of territory.. so that's a bad... for SUNFLY... but because of that... I gave up buying that Brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:45 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
not... I've contacted many not just SC/Pep. Trust me ... and yes they have licenses for "everything" including a broadcasters license, Video Jockey License, Live performers license... They got it all covered.

Who is They?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:55 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

MrBoo wrote:

Who is They?

I think that karaokeniagarafalls was referring to my comment about licences for everything including TV, not just broadcasting TV but in order to watch it here in the UK you have to have a license.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:41 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

ahhh... I'm gonna let you answer your own question of Who is "They" now you're just being silly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:30 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
If "they" is PEP\SC\Any karaoke producer you are again providing false information. False information that I KNOW Jim would not give to you. Performance rights (broadcasters license, Video Jockey License, Live performers license as you put it) are handled by different agencies in different regions, but never by karaoke producers or even the original rights holders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
I can't speak for any other producer, but as for Phoenix Entertainment Partners/Sound Choice:

You are welcome to rip to your heart's content for your own personal use.

If you want to use ripped tracks commercially, you need our permission. There are only two ways to get that permission as for CD+G tracks: Certification and the HELP license.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
JimHarrington wrote:
I can't speak for any other producer, but as for Phoenix Entertainment Partners/Sound Choice:

If you want to use ripped tracks commercially, you need our permission. There are only two ways to get that permission as for CD+G tracks: Certification and the HELP license.

That's good to know James..

I always thought public performances were handled by other groups.

Ascap, BMI and so on. Amazing what a guy can learn here..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:23 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
jdmeister wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:

That's good to know James..

I always thought public performances were handled by other groups.

Ascap, BMI and so on. Amazing what a guy can learn here..

ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC represent the interests of the music publishers and songwriters. They do not represent the interests of the producers. Just as we can't give permissions that cover their rights, they can't give permissions that cover our rights.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
They are the entities that may grant licences to copy and media shift in Canada. AVLA (now Connect Music Licencing), Re-Sound, and CMRRA.

http://www.connectmusic.ca/disc-jockeys.aspx
http://www.resound.ca/
http://www.cmrra.ca/faq/synchronization-licensing/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:36 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times

Don't be testin' me Mr Smooth... you know what will happen...

Look at UK and what's goin on there also.

When I made a deal with Sunfly for their 14000 song collection, they granted me permission to change the format to what I needed to be able to work with my software/hardware.

But now on the other hand... the T.O.S states, that UK music not allowed outside of territory.. so that's a bad... for SUNFLY... but because of that... I gave up buying that Brand.

Seems lately that every time someone disagrees with you, your reply is a picture of VIOLENCE :shock:. Really no wonder this world is in the state it is. You have not only responded to Smoothedge in this matter but ME and others. Board admins. what say you, lets put a stop to this NOW.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Oh it's closer than you think!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:39 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Lone Wolf wrote:

Seems lately that every time someone disagrees with you, your reply is a picture of VIOLENCE :shock:. Really no wonder this world is in the state it is. You have not only responded to Smoothedge in this matter but ME and others. Board admins. what say you, lets put a stop to this NOW.

You guys need to lighten up. It's just a joke. Have you all become so consumed by this legal crap that you've lost your sense of humor? Cheeez, chill out already.