KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Please, Please, Please... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:10 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
But none of that addresses why SC/PEP is absolutely useless at getting rid of piracy, and why they do not go after those that are reported, and why they would rather just bother media shifters.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:23 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Every legitimate host has the option to use the product we sold them, the original discs, without any further fees or hassle. And every disc we've ever sold has warned the purchaser that our permission is needed for copying.

I don't believe pep has ever sold "an original disc" period. Your firm is not in the manufacturing business, has never produced a single disc or even track (yet). But you're happy to try to take credit riding on the coattails of a now defunct company.

Facts, counsel... stick to the facts.... not the make-believe versions you'd like to convince us of.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:53 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
Certification is now $250?? God, now it's just greed. 38 discs at $250. Ha!!! $6.58 a disc. That makes my discs cost $31 each. Not worth it.

I'll repeat. You were offered a free certification, and you turned it down. It's not the price that you have a problem with.

The list price for certification is $250 because that number approximates the marginal cost of certifying one system. We do not make money on certifications.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Considering that NO legitimate host has ever been "subjected" to a lease and our certifications have always been permanent with no annual fee, I'd say this argument has no merit at all.

I don't mind criticism, but you don't get to choose your own facts.

Guess again counsel; every single one of your gem customers have been "subjected to a lease"... but you like to call it something else.... because it sounds better and that's a "fact."

Don't be obtuse. The subject was hosts who were legitimate to begin with. No legitimate host has ever been required to obtain additional product to end a lawsuit or get certified.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
JimHarrington wrote:
c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Considering that NO legitimate host has ever been "subjected" to a lease and our certifications have always been permanent with no annual fee, I'd say this argument has no merit at all.

I don't mind criticism, but you don't get to choose your own facts.

Guess again counsel; every single one of your gem customers have been "subjected to a lease"... but you like to call it something else.... because it sounds better and that's a "fact."

Don't be obtuse. The subject was hosts who were legitimate to begin with. No legitimate host has ever been required to obtain additional product to end a lawsuit or get certified.

Attachment:
untitled.png
untitled.png [ 77.79 KiB | Viewed 24647 times ]

Sorry I couldn't resist... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Even with the cost of CDG disks to buy used being is close to $1.00 a song, you're better off to just buy the GEM set and be done with it. (50 cents a song)

I got lucky to find another 175 SoundChoice disks for around 2.00 each but still after all the fuss and bussle with certification and ripping at 320 bit rate (Too time consuming), better to just buy the Gems. It's actually a very good deal for the songs you get.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Kuelman1 wrote:
Attachment:
The attachment untitled.png is no longer available

Sorry I couldn't resist... :lol:

Attachments:
famguy.gif
famguy.gif [ 392.23 KiB | Viewed 24642 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
c. staley wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Every legitimate host has the option to use the product we sold them, the original discs, without any further fees or hassle. And every disc we've ever sold has warned the purchaser that our permission is needed for copying.

I don't believe pep has ever sold "an original disc" period. Your firm is not in the manufacturing business, has never produced a single disc or even track (yet). But you're happy to try to take credit riding on the coattails of a now defunct company.

Facts, counsel... stick to the facts.... not the make-believe versions you'd like to convince us of.

Wait....

Sound Choice is gone?
Who is PEP?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:55 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

PEP = SoundChoice http://pep.rocks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:28 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
the pirates have no money and have no desire to pay for music, suing them gets no financial return, so no reason to sue.
the Pirates display the SC logo keeping, it in the face of the singers....advertising.
the legit hosts pay for music properly, therefore are more willing to spend money to stay legit
suing legit hosts or forcing audits (or GEM leases) gets financial return, so a reason to sue.
suing the bars who hire pirates...same problem as suing the pirates themselves, no financial return from someone working with the lowest bottom line (read that as cheap) as they are unwilling to spend for it anyway, they would just drop karaoke all together removing the logo from view of the patrons and lessening advertising)

i wish they would too but it is more cost efficient to send investigators to new uncharted areas for legit hosts to strongarm than it is to follow the certified hosts and help them in return for being helpful (by going for a voluntary audit to make the job easier of differentiating between legit/pirate). in a place like Phoenix for example, there are numerous certified hosts who could use some help after helping SC, and while suits continued here, we are left to flounder in the pirate swamp.

SC/PEP, we helped by doing our part and getting audited (we as the collective certified hosts, not we as in ME specifically), to date (5 years later) none of the "help" or "benefits" of being certified have come. there were promises of increased suit activity against pirates in the direct area and assistance taking the bars by giving bar owners their own way out (leaving the pirate to be sued alone) by hiring a certified host. none of that has happened. so far the only help we have received in return for doing the right thing and helping SC has been the privilege to do it all over again for CB discs, and pre-pay for new discs that (once again) never came. no pirate hosts are afraid, no bars are afraid, and they have no reason to be. they know as well as anyone, they will not have anything happen. anyone they know who has been sued, has been let go. they can look at court records (if they even know these suits are happening) and see nothing but dismissals. they see no deterrent, and because of that, they have not only not stopped, but piracy has (as Jim has reported) increased since suits began. we are handing you pirates, and in return, we are given the finger. so much for helping the helper.

NAILED IT! Just like I'd like to nail a couple of thieves to a cross! I'm a totally legit host that was blindsided in July with suits to two bars. Lost three great gigs. Made me want to quit. Fought depression something fierce for a few months. Finally just let it go. Still. S.O.B's!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:45 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
There is no reason for an already-legitimate host to license the GEM series unless they want the additional music.

There is no reason for an already-legitimate host to purchase a HELP license unless they want to use SC tracks they don't have discs for.

We lose money on the certification process. It's not a profit center.

We NEVER sue a host we expect to be legit; doing so would be a huge waste of time and money. We don't target legitimate hosts. We target pirates. And fewer than 2% of the hosts we've sued have turned out to be legit. (The actual number is around 1%. That's a record I will take all day long.)

We usually charge for certification, because (a) you need our permission to media-shift, and (b) it costs us money to do what's necessary to get you the permission you need. Every legitimate host has the option to use the product we sold them, the original discs, without any further fees or hassle. And every disc we've ever sold has warned the purchaser that our permission is needed for copying.

LIES, LIES, LIES... keep telling yourself whatever you need to sleep peacefully at night. Know this, you and Slep cost me three wonderful venues. Being allowed to submit to a "post lawsuit audit"... with ten pages of demands, among which mention "Oh, if our auditors determine any deceptive practices i.e. deleting of files has occurred, you may be subject to 2 to 4 MILLION in fines"... yeah, of course I'll decline that audit! Then you were able to claim "Oh, he didn't submit to an audit, he's a guilty pirate!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:48 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

DJ Jobs are easy to get when you're "Legit" and offer good service.

Actually to be able to purchase Legit Sound Choice tracks @ 50 cents a song, why bother even talking about piracy.

On another note, I wonder if Pep will take in trades for my SC CDG disks and exchange for GEM set?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
DJ Jobs are easy to get when you're "Legit" and offer good service.

Actually to be able to purchase Legit Sound Choice tracks @ 50 cents a song, why bother even talking about piracy.

On another note, I wonder if Pep will take in trades for my SC CDG disks and exchange for GEM set?

Yes, you are correct. After a few months of trying to find gigs that pirates either didn't have or finally lost, I finally got another Wednesday night at a bar that is good enough. I refuse to go to the bad parts of town, and believe me, there are plenty of bars in those parts that I will not work in! They hire the pirates, however a lot of the good places hire the pirates as well. I have been here in this area doing karaoke since '93. Well before computers. I assure you, I am legitimate, regardless of the allegations aka libel (written form of slander) of PEP!

Last edited by mwanteddj on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:19 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

If you say you are "Legit" then I believe you, but What a very good thing to do on your end is enlighten the Bar Owners on the legalities that they will face when hiring a pirate to run a show.

I did that in my area on my own time and I was booked 7 nights per week. I'm older now so I cut down to 3 nights per week in the winter times.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:40 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

If you say you are "Legit" then I believe you, but What a very good thing to do on your end is enlighten the Bar Owners on the legalities that they will face when hiring a pirate to run a show.

I did that in my area on my own time and I was booked 7 nights per week. I'm older now so I cut down to 3 nights per week in the winter times.

I prefer not to spread the propaganda and/or fear. I would IF I knew that Pep were indeed going to go after pirates in this area. Since April, me, I alone, my SINGLE op company is the ONLY KJ in the area to be hassled by this nonsense. Now if you'll allow me to enlighten, two of my four regular weekly venues received a "letter" in April. They mentioned it to me, in fact asked a couple of questions. The owners and I believed it was either a scam, or we'd be okay because I had discs and receipts. July two of the four received lawsuits (which also named me and my biz of course). A few days later my attorney emailed me ten pages of demands/specifications I had to meet for the "post lawsuit audit". There happened to be a sentence in there that made me feel that, even though I had discs and receipts, the demands were worded in such a way, that I felt that submitting to the audit (POST lawsuit) it would've been threatening. Or I mean to say, I felt threatened that I could face stiffer penalties. Not from a judge or a court or jury of my peers, mind you, but from the plaintiff's audit company. I chose to be safer, and NOT agree to an audit. The point is had I known that Pep was doing this, had they notified ME, sent me a letter, or contacted ME, I would have gladly, in a heartbeat become "certified". Paradigm had it right. It's NOT about going after the bad guys! It is about $ and $ only!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Can't be....they have NEVER sued a host with all his discs....NEVER!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:47 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
Can't be....they have NEVER sued a host with all his discs....NEVER!

Well, that is except for McLeod's... and Rodney Burgess.... (both who were actually USING discs at the time and not just owned them)

and in this case, they didn't sue the KJ first.... they sue the venues first.

It's obviously a tactic used to "soften the target"....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Pretty sure that if you have discs, all you have to do is demonstrate that and all this goes away. I have been through the audit. It just isn't that big of a deal. Also, I don't know of any cases of anyone getting in trouble post-audit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:03 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
mwanteddj wrote:

I prefer not to spread the propaganda and/or fear. I would IF I knew that Pep were indeed going to go after pirates in this area. Since April, me, I alone, my SINGLE op company is the ONLY KJ in the area to be hassled by this nonsense. Now if you'll allow me to enlighten, two of my four regular weekly venues received a "letter" in April. They mentioned it to me, in fact asked a couple of questions. The owners and I believed it was either a scam, or we'd be okay because I had discs and receipts. July two of the four received lawsuits (which also named me and my biz of course). A few days later my attorney emailed me ten pages of demands/specifications I had to meet for the "post lawsuit audit". There happened to be a sentence in there that made me feel that, even though I had discs and receipts, the demands were worded in such a way, that I felt that submitting to the audit (POST lawsuit) it would've been threatening. Or I mean to say, I felt threatened that I could face stiffer penalties. Not from a judge or a court or jury of my peers, mind you, but from the plaintiff's audit company. I chose to be safer, and NOT agree to an audit. The point is had I known that Pep was doing this, had they notified ME, sent me a letter, or contacted ME, I would have gladly, in a heartbeat become "certified". Paradigm had it right. It's NOT about going after the bad guys! It is about $ and $ only!

It is a real shame you had not found this website sooner. PEP/Soundchoice has been advertising their media shifting policy for the last 5 years.

Also they have been putting notifications in with every disc they sold/made since 2000. But i will admit, i used to throw away the little slip of paper without reading it, so i could understand how you could feel a little blindsided.

It is extremely unfortunate, and i do sympathize with your plight, but the fact remains is that everyone who copies their discs to a hard drive to offer karaoke is a technical infringer.

Most karaoke producers don't care, soundchoice does and that is their right.

I can only draw from my personal experience, and mine has been mostly positive and the negative aspects were either not their fault, or a simple miscommunication of facts that have been resolved to my satisfaction.

I wish you luck/well in your future endevours

-James

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:38 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
chrisavis wrote:
Pretty sure that if you have discs, all you have to do is demonstrate that and all this goes away. I have been through the audit. It just isn't that big of a deal. Also, I don't know of any cases of anyone getting in trouble post-audit.

Here's the problem with that.... mwanteddj was NOT originally contacted directly. The venues where he worked at were. The venues brought it to mwanteddj's attention, and (since he wasn't a member of this Forum (and probably not of any other karaoke forum)) he thought it was someone trying to scam the venue into paying out money (like some of those people who go to bars and pretend they are from ASCAP or BMI or SESAC), and as such, told the Venues to ignore it. Being out of the loop regarding the stance SC and PEP have taken on piracy for the past 5 years, mjwanteddj even posted that since he had all of his discs and receipts for them, he and the venues both agreed that either they had nothing to worry about, or it was a scam.

That was his (mwanteddj) fault for not attempting to contact SC/PEP immediately after that to verify if this was legit or someone trying to scam the venue instead of just dismissing the notification as he did. Oh well.... too late now.

BUT, this is where your comment doesn't help mwanteddj... Since he dismissed those notifications, SC/PEP followed up with their threat, and he got fired from 3 lucrative gigs. Now, he had to pay for a Lawyer to get his case dismissed by SC/PEP. I'm sure that mwanteddj has demonstrated to the venues that he does have all of his discs, but even if he now (post Lawsuit) demonstrated to SC/PEP that he has all of his discs and receipts, (contrary to how you put it) it didn't all go away (except for his employment at those venues). Either those venues have decided to do away with Karaoke all together (because they don't want to be bothered with this legal side of things), or they hired someone else (who wasn't/isn't on SC/PEP's radar). What do you think the chances are that they are now going to hire him back?