KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Ironic insight Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Ironic insight
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
JimHarrington wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Either you're a professional KJ or you're not; either you've acquired your music legally, or you haven't. If you're a professional KJ, and you've acquired your music legally, and you attack us for going after your pirate competition, or you lament that we're making it more expensive and driving pirate operators out of business...I don't want to be rude, so I won't finish that sentence. But you know what I'm thinking.

But the frustration comes from "owning" all the music and potentially being sued for the way we choose to use it.

Do you realize how exceptionally rare that is? How easy it is to resolve it if it happens? How easy it is for you to avoid it in the first place?

I refuse to believe that this is a real complaint.
But isn't that one of the topics that have been discussed ad nauseum for the past 5 years in this forum?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
cueball wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
But isn't that one of the topics that have been discussed ad nauseum for the past 5 years in this forum?

Five years of trying have not yet helped me understand why non-pirates would complain about something that is extremely easy for a non-pirate to avoid, that almost never happens anyway, and that gets resolved almost immediately when it does.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:52 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
JimHarrington wrote:
Do you realize how exceptionally rare that is? How easy it is to resolve it if it happens? How easy it is for you to avoid it in the first place?

You really enjoy playing KJ's for idiots don't you?

For some reason, you just don't get it...or you refuse to get it:

You simply want to "sell the product" for one price... and then "sell permission to use it" again....

And you seem confused and angry when it's mentioned that you and Kurt have been poisoning your own well on an industrial scale all this time?

It's pretty sad that you couldn't muster up a couple hundred "devotees" to fund your project and you still don't understand that the market --- no matter how good you think your (old) product is -- is not worth purchasing or even investing in it's future -- at a discounted rate.

I understand that your business model is nothing more than squeezing settlements out of whomever you think you can convince this week and your "trading trademarks game" is all about keeping some unknowing KJ's and clubs in your legal crosshairs....

It's a sad existence and one that I'd not be very proud of... I'd have to rank you right up there with Martin Shkreli with the disclaimer that at least when he sells something for a 9,000% price increase, he doesn't sue the person for more as soon as they've swallowed the pill...

It truly is a "happy holiday season."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:04 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
Five years of trying have not yet helped me understand why non-pirates would complain about something that is extremely easy for a non-pirate to avoid, that almost never happens anyway, and that gets resolved almost immediately when it does.

(a) "Extremely easy" requires a one-sided "legal contract" that's never been necessary.
(b) "Almost never happens"..... the operative word is "almost"
(c) "gets resolved" means a KJ "gets SUED first." Forget your whitewashing phrase of "named in a suit" because that doesn't exist. A defendant gets "dismissed from a lawsuit" and does NOT get "a resolution from only being named."

RECAP:
Let's translate this into English instead of "squirmese:"

FixedIt4ya wrote:
Five years of trying have not yet helped me understand why non-pirates would complain about something that is extremely easy for a non-pirate to avoid after they sign the one-sided legal contract, and when they get sued (that almost never happens anyway,) and that federal lawsuit against them gets resolved... I mean, "dismissed" almost immediately when we get around to it when it does. I just haven't figured out why they are not banging on our door since we have the best product. How much more reasonable can we be?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:02 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
cueball wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
mrmarog wrote:
JimHarrington wrote:
Either you're a professional KJ or you're not; either you've acquired your music legally, or you haven't. If you're a professional KJ, and you've acquired your music legally, and you attack us for going after your pirate competition, or you lament that we're making it more expensive and driving pirate operators out of business...I don't want to be rude, so I won't finish that sentence. But you know what I'm thinking.

If you sued pirates we would not be having this discussion and people would me more supportive, but you do not. You file, then let them go when they do not pay. None of us have seen any pirate we have EVER reported gone after, and all of us are still dealing with the same pirated that you have sued in the past because you let them all go when they push back.you have been hearing it from us forfor five years now, and not just from me. In five years you have been unable to explain to us why no pirated reported to you, after you asked for us to report them to you, have never been sued. People have been sued, but not pirates, and not the ones in your certified hosts back yard. If what you say was true, that you want to spend your resources sing pirates and you appreciate and wish to support your legal certified hosts, you would have done something, but you have not. It is simple, you have done everything EXCEPT support your certified hosts and spend resources going after pirates. I think this was reflected in the fact that in two months, you were unable to get 150 hosts to get in on Advance, while as I'm sure you have read, we are fully willing and are currently buying lots from karaoke.net. If we felt anything close to appreciation and support from SC/PEP , that would have been very different.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

We've sued literally hundreds of pirates in the last 6+ years. Many of them are pirates who were reported to us, but not everybody who gets reported is actually a pirate, and not every pirate plays enough pirated SC music to justify a suit. We have to catch them in the act to be able to sue them. We also have to have qualified attorneys who will take on these cases to be able to sue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:54 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
JimHarrington wrote:
We've sued literally hundreds of pirates in the last 6+ years.

yes you have, you filed suit against hundreds, but the dismissed them all.

JimHarrington wrote:
Many of them are pirates who were reported to us

from who? most who know about the suits are on this board and so far the concensus has continuously been that nobody here has seen a reported pirate sued.

JimHarrington wrote:
but not everybody who gets reported is actually a pirate

i can completely believe this. i can see the temptation to throw a competitor under the bus, but i see it less likely if the report came from a certified host or GEM licensee.

JimHarrington wrote:
and not every pirate plays enough pirated SC music to justify a suit

how much SC material stolen IS enough to justify a suit?

[/quote="JimHarrington"]Even today, our stuff gets played in nearly 100% of shows, and more than 70% of all tracks played.[/quote]
i can see how it would be hard to find enough tracks being played with paltry numbers like this

[/quote="JimHarrington"]We also have to have qualified attorneys who will take on these cases to be able to sue.[/quote]
you keep coming back to AZ, you must have them here, but no change in the scenery at all. we have pirates here....verified pirates (i used to work for one who was ~1:7) and yet five years later.

anybody here report a pirate that got sued?

Last edited by Paradigm Karaoke on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:55 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

JimHarrington wrote:
We've sued literally hundreds of pirates in the last 6+ years. Many of them are pirates who were reported to us, but not everybody who gets reported is actually a pirate, and not every pirate plays enough pirated SC music to justify a suit. We have to catch them in the act to be able to sue them. We also have to have qualified attorneys who will take on these cases to be able to sue.

And now, you sue venues... FIRST.. not pirates. Your organization is focused entirely on the return of investment of money.. not piracy at all. You sue ANYONE who uses tracks with that trademark that hasn't paid you a SECOND time in the form of an audit fee, thousands of dollars for "old music", settlements, and now you even license counterfeit material and truly pirated material where you don't even care where it came from.

Tell the truth, you don't "sue pirates" you "license pirates and sue venues." The "reports" you get from KJ's are nothing but "sales leads" and those that don't buy, get sued.

As Kurt Slep said: "Suits drive sales."

It's obvious that your product (or even the promise of a product) doesn't sell enough --even in advance-- to make a dozen downloadable tracks.

Your firm (PEP) of which you are an officer, is not --- nor has it ever been --- "a manufacturer" in this business.

Your firm does nothing but write contracts, license pirates and file lawsuits, period.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:03 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

There is an announcement on the main board, which not everybody necessarily looks at all the time, that deals with several aspects of what I've been talking about on this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
I think this has run it's course..

(I got this in before the lock)

:shock:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2