KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Does anyone use a personal cloud? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:03 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 124 times
I was looking into a home based cloud (like pogo plug) and wondering if anyone used anything similar to that. I was looking at this for my house, so that I can convert my blu-rays and DVDS and watch them from any place in the house, then I got to thinking about streaming music and karaoke over the Internet as well.

It might be totally worthless for a single rig operator but for multiple systems... Might be cool to have your files in one central location, rather then having to update every drive you own.

Also it would be YOUR personal cloud, not a system from a company. With stuff you personally bought and paid for, not renting.

Before anyone goes on about PEP/SC & it's stuff, I'm sure you'd need a HELP license for every rig (instance) that would use the drive that so let's keep that out of the conversation.

Assuming it's done legally, I would suspect even with one instance on the drive you would need to buy however many copies you are using (3 rigs, 3 copies).

Again, it's curiosity. The places I play range from great wifi to none. As I only get 15gb on my phone so just using that would be out most likely.

Anyone try this at all?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Clouds scare me. Suppose you have all your data in the cloud, and the company that runs your particular cloud suddenly goes away, or there is a MASSIVE EMP where their facility is, and all the servers and storage devices blow up. What if there is a terrorist attack, (Hey the Republicans LOVE scaring us with that crap)? Where does all your data go?? So now, you go to run your karaoke show, and POOF, no tunes!! The server is gone!! What do you do??

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Well, I have many things in the cloud and am expanding each day. Not so much for karaoke as I don't have much of a need there.

Install the latest office products on up to 5 computers plus devices
Create up to five users on your account
Each user gets 1 terabyte of cloud storage for free
Use Onedrive to sync and cache your cloud data on as many machines as you want
Microsoft isn't going away any time soon

I can make a change to an Excel file from my office and the changes are waiting for me at home. On a machine that doesn't have office installed? Use Office online.

It seriously does not get any easier becoming cloud oriented.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Pogo Plug is/was a home based cloud... your drive at your house, so unless the terrorists hit your neck of the woods...

As for MS, not a bad price for a year.. and Office to boot! Is the 1TB just for documents or is for anything? Can you stream a movie or music from the MS cloud? Would it be considered say an "E:" Drive where you could point software to read it from?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
Keep in mind that "cloud" and "cloud computing" are nothing more than marketing terms. Both refer to technology that has been in place since before the Internet.

A Personal Cloud is nothing more than centralized storage on premises at your house. This has been relatively common place since the late 90's. But it isn't a "cloud" unless it is also accessible from anywhere in the world with any device.

I use OneDrive to store and distribute my on demand karaoke purchases. Every rig has a unique folder that they sync to and from.

As noted, Microsoft isn't going anywhere any time soon. MS does redundant backups on site as well as to different datacenters to ensure no data gets lost. Most cloud providers do something similar. The risk of losing data is practically zero unless you delete it yourself. Microsoft will be around long after we are all gone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:02 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Pogo Plug is/was a home based cloud... your drive at your house, so unless the terrorists hit your neck of the woods...

As for MS, not a bad price for a year.. and Office to boot! Is the 1TB just for documents or is for anything? Can you stream a movie or music from the MS cloud? Would it be considered say an "E:" Drive where you could point software to read it from?

Onedrive is set up as a library (Like desktop or documents. The path is the same for every machine you sync, as long as you use the same username on all your machines. The path is something like C:\users\your-login\Onedrive
With the path being the same on all machines, you could easily establish as a common path for programs.
Onedrive is integrated into the latest office. So finding files in Onedrive from, say, Word, is very easy. Sign in with your Microsoft account on all your machines and even the recently opened document list is synced.

To add to Chris' point, not only does Microsoft back up your data, they also perform antivirus scans but that would never replace the need for your own local solution.

Edit:
To address Toastedmuffin's inquiry further. Onedrive does not have inherent media player capabilities. It is strictly a storage area.

Last edited by MrBoo on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:06 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Agreed I'm not terribly worried about MS leaving the scene, nor am I worried that someone is going to fry my online DVD collection. (Muffincasting lol)

Am I however wondering about being able to just kinda live stream karaoke tracks from a file in the cloud. Seems I have to look I to one drive and see if I can point my software to it...

Kinda in the same boat with wifi drives too... My iPad has 64gb, the drive could have much more space.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Toastedmuffin wrote:
Agreed I'm not terribly worried about MS leaving the scene, nor am I worried that someone is going to fry my online DVD collection. (Muffincasting lol)

Am I however wondering about being able to just kinda live stream karaoke tracks from a file in the cloud. Seems I have to look I to one drive and see if I can point my software to it...

Kinda in the same boat with wifi drives too... My iPad has 64gb, the drive could have much more space.

You don't have to stream from the cloud. You install Onedrive on yout machine. You set it to keep a local copy on the machine. You access the file locally. All that happens from the "Cloud" is syncing the local folder to your Onedrive site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:31 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
I use OneDrive to store and distribute my on demand karaoke purchases. Every rig has a unique folder that they sync to and from.

Sounds like the perfect way to distribute the new additions. Each sys op has their own secured area so they can't pull content from another rig's new content?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:38 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
Toastedmuffin wrote:
I was looking into a home based cloud (like pogo plug) and wondering if anyone used anything similar to that. I was looking at this for my house, so that I can convert my blu-rays and DVDS and watch them from any place in the house, then I got to thinking about streaming music and karaoke over the Internet as well.

It might be totally worthless for a single rig operator but for multiple systems... Might be cool to have your files in one central location, rather then having to update every drive you own.

Also it would be YOUR personal cloud, not a system from a company. With stuff you personally bought and paid for, not renting.

Before anyone goes on about PEP/SC & it's stuff, I'm sure you'd need a HELP license for every rig (instance) that would use the drive that so let's keep that out of the conversation.

Assuming it's done legally, I would suspect even with one instance on the drive you would need to buy however many copies you are using (3 rigs, 3 copies).

Again, it's curiosity. The places I play range from great wifi to none. As I only get 15gb on my phone so just using that would be out most likely.

Anyone try this at all?

If you pickup a cheap Apple base station 2tb drive (wifi for offline) you dont need internet and your media collection can be shared accross all your computers, similar to an offline cloud or online, your choice. I just bought another Apple time machine from kijiji 70.00. They are pretty cheap and easy to find.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
MrBoo wrote:
chrisavis wrote:

Sounds like the perfect way to distribute the new additions. Each sys op has their own secured area so they can't pull content from another rig's new content?

Correct. That is how I manage my buy on the fly.

I get a text with an artist name and song and venue. I buy it, download it, rename it to my format, then drop it into the OneDrive for that venue. Send a text back saying it's ready. The host updates the Karma database and we are good to go.

I can do all of this no matter where I am (except driving).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:20 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

chrisavis wrote:
Correct. That is how I manage my buy on the fly.

I get a text with an artist name and song and venue. I buy it, download it, rename it to my format, then drop it into the OneDrive for that venue. Send a text back saying it's ready. The host updates the Karma database and we are good to go.

I can do all of this no matter where I am (except driving).

Awesome. I am in the process of implementing company and project wide OneDrive for Business. I just finished a Skype For Business E4 implementation. My goal is for our people to be able to work from anywhere at any time and from any device. We are getting there!

An Engineer will be able to take pics on his phone; those pics will be synced with his one drive folder and someone in the office can gain access to the pics without any need for anything else other than just snapping the pics or video.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 224 times
I use the corporate version of Drop Box and I forgot a special song for an event and was able to access my drop box account and played the song through my phone into my mixer. Saved my hiney right there.