KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - .Dat encryption (Offline Karaoke) buy what you need offline Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:58 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
chrisavis wrote:
The bulk of Karma problems come from PEBKAC errors. It is actually a very stable platform so long as the machine it is used on isn't being used for a bunch of other things that require additional software.

I have 12 licenses for Karma and still can't imagine using any other application to run shows. I test CompuHost and Hoster twice a year or any time they have a major update just to keep an open mind. I also test anything else I run across and to date, Karma is still the easiest to install and learn. It has all of the required features but few other bells and whistles.

Regarding DRM..... There is no effective way to apply DRM and maintain portability and accessibility. That is the big problem with DRM. You sacrifice user experience for security which prevents adoption. It's a no win situation.

Any luck/progress with your own software project Chris?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
Then why is it working for Digitrax KaraokeCloudPro and KaraFun? Why can't Pep just DO IT too?

It "works" in the sense that it (a) locks users into a particular hosting software and (b) prevents casual or non-tech-savvy users from pirating the content.

However, even that content can be pirated. If you can output it to a screen or a sound card, it can be pirated, period. And if you can't output it to a screen or a sound card, you aren't using it for karaoke.

That's why we prefer passive measures and contractual obligations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:01 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
jclaydon wrote:
chrisavis wrote:
The bulk of Karma problems come from PEBKAC errors. It is actually a very stable platform so long as the machine it is used on isn't being used for a bunch of other things that require additional software.

I have 12 licenses for Karma and still can't imagine using any other application to run shows. I test CompuHost and Hoster twice a year or any time they have a major update just to keep an open mind. I also test anything else I run across and to date, Karma is still the easiest to install and learn. It has all of the required features but few other bells and whistles.

Regarding DRM..... There is no effective way to apply DRM and maintain portability and accessibility. That is the big problem with DRM. You sacrifice user experience for security which prevents adoption. It's a no win situation.

Any luck/progress with your own software project Chris?

I have a very clunky method of securing the files on my systems that will prevent all but the most tech savvy from being able to remove the files from a PC. But it is a real pain in the (@$%&#!) to implement so i have only done it in testbeds, not in productions.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:37 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Sorry for the confusion chris, but i was actually refering to the fact that you have hinted that you wanted to make your own karaoke software and kiosk

-James