KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - .Dat encryption (Offline Karaoke) buy what you need offline Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
jdmeister wrote:
MrBoo wrote:
Any DRM system can be overcome. I've removed DRM from all my Itunes music.

iTunes even has a one time $25.00 fee to unlock all previous locked content you have on disk. (No mater the source)

A bargain, eh?
HUH?? I rip music from CDs all the time, using iTunes. I don't pay anything extra.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:54 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
jdmeister wrote:
MrBoo wrote:

iTunes even has a one time $25.00 fee to unlock all previous locked content you have on disk. (No mater the source)

A bargain, eh?

I can't remember what I paid for the software to remove the DRM but it wasn't alot. I think it was around $20. I was able to unlock mine and my wife's with it so I came out ahead. Of course Itunes didn't offer DRM free music or the option to unlock at the time but they had said DRM free was in the works.

Again, the point is, DRM is pretty much a waste of money and technical investment because someone will figure out how to crack it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:56 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 427 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
jdmeister wrote:
MrBoo wrote:

A bargain, eh?
HUH?? I rip music from CDs all the time, using iTunes. I don't pay anything extra.

We are talking about music purchased from ITunes. They used to make it proprietary to your ITunes account using DRM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1048 times
Lonman wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
maybe i am missing the perks, i do it like Lon does. what other perks about KJMP am i not seeing that make it better than buying like i am now?
I can see 1 perk, all the files are on a hard that you unlock as needed (they are with you no need to actually download), other than that I don't see any major benefit. However it's only getting the music from Digitrax Cloud - which is primarily Chartbuster with the exception of the newer stuff they've done since. So all other brands would need to be still bought off the internet and downloaded as needed just like we do it anyway.
I haven't used it for a while but if I remember correctly, the last time I downloaded content to my computer, there were different brands besides DigiTrax such as Sunfly and MM. I can't remember what else. So, you had a choice of different versions. Don't know if they're still offering those or other brands since like I said, I haven't used it for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:01 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
does anyone know if Digitrax got rid of all the stage stars stuff?

-james

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
MM isn't exactly one of those brands that get me excited in any manner. Sunfly was pulled from their download site so would imagine the same for the drive.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
correct. DT is the only label left on KC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
I always wondered how they got the rights to distribute DK through KaraokeCloud.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:57 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
chrisavis wrote:
I always wondered how they got the rights to distribute DK through KaraokeCloud.

Who said anything about rights? You mean they are required?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:55 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 190 times
I think the DRM is smart as far as controlling the distribution and stopping pirates from making multiple copies. SoundChoice should have done this a long time ago when they were in business. They would all be billionaires by now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:19 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
karaokeniagarafalls wrote:
I think the DRM is smart as far as controlling the distribution and stopping pirates from making multiple copies. SoundChoice should have done this a long time ago when they were in business. They would all be billionaires by now.

There are several reasons why what you're suggesting wasn't realistic.

First, no DRM scheme can both allow legitimate access to data and prevent piracy. At some point, the data has to be unencrypted to be useful, and at that point, it can be captured, DRM-free.

Second, SC did attempt to implement a DRM scheme in the early 2000s. Some CDs were released with DRM protection known as MediaCloQ. It was worse than useless, because it both failed to prevent piracy (it could be bypassed) and made it impossible for some CD+G players to play the discs.

Third, Sound Choice is still in business.

What we have found is that contractual obligations, the prospect of severe sanctions for piracy, and effective tracing methods are the most realistic and effective anti-piracy measures.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:17 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

JimHarrington wrote:

There are several reasons why what you're suggesting wasn't realistic.

First, no DRM scheme can both allow legitimate access to data and prevent piracy. At some point, the data has to be unencrypted to be useful, and at that point, it can be captured, DRM-free.

Second, SC did attempt to implement a DRM scheme in the early 2000s. Some CDs were released with DRM protection known as MediaCloQ. It was worse than useless, because it both failed to prevent piracy (it could be bypassed) and made it impossible for some CD+G players to play the discs.

Third, Sound Choice is still in business.

What we have found is that contractual obligations, the prospect of severe sanctions for piracy, and effective tracing methods are the most realistic and effective anti-piracy measures.

Then why is it working for Digitrax KaraokeCloudPro and KaraFun? Why can't Pep just DO IT too?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:07 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Digitrax has no DRM
Karaoke Cloud Pro is rental music which requires PCDJ Karaoki which very few hosts use and most do not want to switch to, plus songs can go away at any time making book keeping a monthly task to DELETE songs, not just add.
Karafun requires the exact same thing except it requires Karafun software.

being bottlenecked into underfeatured software tu use a rental library of ever changing size (plus and minus) is not what pro's use, so i think it take more thought than just copying KCP and KF.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:49 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I used to use PCDJ Karaoki. I hated it. Damn thing crashed constantly, OR it would lose it's sound. Now I use Karma.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:20 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
I used to use PCDJ Karaoki. I hated it. Damn thing crashed constantly, OR it would lose it's sound. Now I use Karma.

forwarning... be carefull using Karma, I've used it myself as my primary software. One day (Most likeley at the beginning of a new show) you will boot up karma and all of the sudden you will get .Net framework error. easy fix was to unhide windows c:"program Data" and look for Karma and delete it.

Then reinstall and re-register the program. But lately started doing the damn .net error again after fresh install. Forget about support because they absolutely Suck!!!

Try to have a backup... just sayin'... because that software put me through hell and back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:47 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:

forwarning... be carefull using Karma, I've used it myself as my primary software. One day (Most likeley at the beginning of a new show) you will boot up karma and all of the sudden you will get .Net framework error. easy fix was to unhide windows c:"program Data" and look for Karma and delete it.

Then reinstall and re-register the program. But lately started doing the damn .net error again after fresh install. Forget about support because they absolutely Suck!!!

Try to have a backup... just sayin'... because that software put me through hell and back.

I've written this many times. You do not have to use the latest version if you don't need to. I am using XP Pro 32 bit and Karma 2014.9.1. I only recently went to this version. I have been running flawlessly for years now. Not a single problem of any kind. The only things that are missing by using an older version are the reports.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:25 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Never had a problem with MTU Hoster. Only shut downs I ever had were due to computer failure & they've always had me up & running the next day!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:

I already went through that. Since I updated to the latest version, all has been well. I know the customer service sucks. Latshaw is an (@$%&#!).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:58 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Smoothedge69 wrote:
Latshaw is an <span style=font-size:10px><i>(@$%&#!)</i></span>.

and the award for understatement of the year goes to.............

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1663 times
The bulk of Karma problems come from PEBKAC errors. It is actually a very stable platform so long as the machine it is used on isn't being used for a bunch of other things that require additional software.

I have 12 licenses for Karma and still can't imagine using any other application to run shows. I test CompuHost and Hoster twice a year or any time they have a major update just to keep an open mind. I also test anything else I run across and to date, Karma is still the easiest to install and learn. It has all of the required features but few other bells and whistles.

Regarding DRM..... There is no effective way to apply DRM and maintain portability and accessibility. That is the big problem with DRM. You sacrifice user experience for security which prevents adoption. It's a no win situation.