KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Zoom Downloads now prohibited in US and Canada Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:02 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
The cut off date for the UK to export discs to the US for distribution was January 2011. There were some threads on it at the time.

The ruling on The First Sale Doctrine was in 2013. That was also discussed on here at the time. A Chinese student in the US had been having his parents buy textbooks in China at a much cheaper price than in the US and then he sold them on EBay. The publishers sued him and the courts ruled that what he was doing was legal as long as the books had been produced legally under the rules of the originating country. This is how people are having friends in the UK buy discs for them.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
However, if they are buying them for the expresses purpose of reselling them, then there more than likely has to be some sort of permission and/or taxing for reselling them...

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Also, has anyone on here posted a lucid reasoning for why they decided to place restrictions based on delivery system?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:17 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
doowhatchulike wrote:
Also, has anyone on here posted a lucid reasoning for why they decided to place restrictions based on delivery system?

LMAO!! You are looking for a sane reason from music publishers?? It's pure, unadulterated greed!!! Nothing more!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
because they can.
i forget who it was on here (Lon, maybe you will remeber) who was also a published musician and said they got more money from the overseas licensing than the U.S. licensing. the overseas money went to the rights holders, over here though it goes to the publishers who share a little with the actual workers who made the music. the publishers are in total charge in the U.S. and so they want more money, just charge more for licensing. it really is that simple. here they are in charge, over there PRSforMusic actually looks out for the artists and rights holders much more than here so the publishers do not get to strong arm quite as much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Why does one think that they are reselling them to KJFLORIDA? If it were me I would just send him money and tell him to buy ME all the latest stuff and send it to me. What would be the difference if someone in England bought a bunch of discs and then posted them on EBAY. In fact just checked lots of them on EBAY and from what I saw all ship to the US. Just because ZOOM can not ship to the US anymore doesn't mean that a private individual can't. I'm also guessing that the same could be done with MP3's. Just have them d/l them into a USB stick and send it to you. You could then save them to your computer and send the stick back if you wanted along with payment for future MP3's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:38 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Lone Wolf wrote:
Why does one think that they are reselling them to KJFLORIDA? If it were me I would just send him money and tell him to buy ME all the latest stuff and send it to me. What would be the difference if someone in England bought a bunch of discs and then posted them on EBAY. In fact just checked lots of them on EBAY and from what I saw all ship to the US. Just because ZOOM can not ship to the US anymore doesn't mean that a private individual can't. I'm also guessing that the same could be done with MP3's. Just have them d/l them into a USB stick and send it to you. You could then save them to your computer and send the stick back if you wanted along with payment for future MP3's.

Any product shipped to the US, goes through customs, and is subject to certain fees, based upon perceived value.

Unless you include a "Happy Birthday Card". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
jdmeister wrote:
Unless you include a "Happy Birthday Card". :mrgreen:
Just don't use the same card in the same year...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 81 times
Happy Birthday...Happy New Year....Merry Christmas...Happy Valentines Day....Happy Mothers Day...Happy.... and the list goes on and on and on..... :o :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 81 times
Oh... and since SBI makes custom discs Zoom should hook up with them and then we'd still be able to get their music although at a somewhat higher rate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:32 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kjflorida wrote:
Anyone can find a friendly KJ in the UK that is willing to buy extras and resell and ship them to you. Perfectly legal and we have been doing it for years. If I remember correctly my wife tried to tell the people on this forum and others how to protect themselves by buying on disc and why downloads were going to be cut off.
Gee, I seemed to have missed that one... exactly WHY were downloads going to be cut off?

kjflorida wrote:
I am so very glad she agreed stop and preserve her health.

"agreed to stop"... yeah, right. This is so false on so many levels....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
The last 3 shipments(and the year end set) have been trades, Our UK KJ friend gets us 2 zoom discs for every 1 Chartbuster going out of business spindle disc he needs all we pay is shipping.
However what we are doing is perfectly legal, trading or buying.

Chip Staley I now understand why my wife refers to you as TROLL, I am tempted to ask her to sign in recover all your WHY questions and direct you back to the threads.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kjflorida wrote:
I am tempted to ask her to sign in recover all your WHY questions and direct you back to the threads.

Anyone have any idea what this means in English?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kjflorida wrote:
per Zooms FB page in the visitors posts section.
Have you cut off the United States from purchasing downloads from your website?

Zoom Karaoke Yes, we have. Due to pressure from music publishers, unfortunately customers in the US and Canada can no longer make new purchases (but they can spend their existing credits).

I blame YOU and YOUR wife for constantly questioning the publishers!! I FIRMLY believe that you had a hand in this crap!! If you had left well enough alone then MAYBE none of this would be happening!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:38 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
and if your Aunt had balls, she would be your Uncle. A level playing field is just that level. If you want the few new discs ZOOM makes available to UK KJ's I have told you how to get them LEGALLY. For those that are upset that on demand downloads are being cut off, look to the past for your lessons and go back to buying music the way all us "oldtimers" did for years BEFORE the pirated almost killed the industry.

Chip Staley, maybe the answers you are asking for happened during one of your bans, you may need to read the old threads to find your answers. Athena would rather not return to these forums as she has enough on her plate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:14 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Put the blame where it belongs---on piracy. The publishers were already scrambling trying to get a handle on the digital age. They were "suing grandmas" for downloading before any of us ever heard of KJFlorida and Athena. To think that no one noticed losses to piracy until it was pointed out to them is absurd.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
I blame YOU and YOUR wife for constantly questioning the publishers!! I FIRMLY believe that you had a hand in this crap!! If you had left well enough alone then MAYBE none of this would be happening!!

I spoke a couple of weeks ago with a licensing executive for one of the major publishing groups. He confirmed that his office had been contacted by a number of karaoke operators over the years regarding licensing issues, but he told me that those contacts had had no impact on anything his group was doing.

The only instance I've been able to confirm in which a music publisher took any specific action after being urged to do so by a karaoke operator involved contact between the operator and outside counsel for the publisher, and that contact didn't relate to any UK producer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:16 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

kjflorida wrote:
and if your Aunt had balls, she would be your Uncle. A level playing field is just that level. If you want the few new discs ZOOM makes available to UK KJ's I have told you how to get them LEGALLY. For those that are upset that on demand downloads are being cut off, look to the past for your lessons and go back to buying music the way all us "oldtimers" did for years BEFORE the pirated almost killed the industry.

Chip Staley, maybe the answers you are asking for happened during one of your bans, you may need to read the old threads to find your answers. Athena would rather not return to these forums as she has enough on her plate.
There is no REASON to buy full discs when single song downloads have become available. You"old timers" think we should all be subject to doing things the way you HAD to. That is ridiculous!! I have said this a million times, why should I buy a whole disk for one or two songs, then have 10 songs that never get sung, when I can just buy the songs I need, as I need them?? You "old timers" need to realize that those days are gone!! The playing field IS level. The only difference, I carry about 5000 songs, in a collection that is generated buy my singers. You have 20,000 songs that no one will ever sing. That being said, you can KEEP doing things your way, but don't dictate to me that I need to do the same!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:45 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Smoothedge69 wrote:
kjflorida wrote:

There is no REASON to buy full discs when single song downloads have become available. You"old timers" think we should all be subject to doing things the way you HAD to. That is ridiculous!! I have said this a million times, why should I buy a whole disk for one or two songs, then have 10 songs that never get sung, when I can just buy the songs I need, as I need them?? You "old timers" need to realize that those days are gone!! The playing field IS level. The only difference, I carry about 5000 songs, in a collection that is generated buy my singers. You have 20,000 songs that no one will ever sing. That being said, you can KEEP doing things your way, but don't dictate to me that I need to do the same!!

Not to mention that almost no-one is producing new music on disc anymore. There are sites that are selling the new digital music as custom discs, but it usually costs quite a bit more.

I predict that in a few short years NO ONE will be able to buy new music direct from the producer on disc in which case kjflorida and the like will be SOL.

-James

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
kjflorida wrote:
and if your Aunt had balls, she would be your Uncle.

That's some funny stuff right there.. :P

Everyone needs to take a break from their keyboard before someone pops a blood vessel in their forehead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next