KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Now, A Little Logic. ( Sadly Missing These Days ) Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:40 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1082 times
In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but it is usually known under its fallacious form, in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question.

A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.

The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process that leads to the significant effect. This type of argument is sometimes used as a form of fear mongering, in which the probable consequences of a given action are exaggerated in an attempt to scare the reader.

However, if an argument uses valid reasoning, it would not identify by the slippery-slope approach.

The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B.

Modern usage avoids the fallacy by acknowledging the possibility of this middle ground.

Y0re mileage may vary.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Would ACA fall into that category? It is built on some rather unproven premises and assumptions.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Did you write that JD? It sounds like something a Politician or a Lawyer would say. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:17 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1612 times
Lone Wolf wrote:
Did you write that JD? It sounds like something a Politician or a Lawyer would say. :lol:
Well (JD) does stand for Juris Doctor :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
And here I thought JD stood for Just Delirious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:07 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
mrmarog wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
Well (JD) does stand for Juris Doctor :)

Yes indeed as in “Doctor of Jurisprudence” but then again it could also be “Jack Daniel’s” :hi5: (kidding, jd).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

While I'm not a Lawyer, I do watch Judge Judy on TV.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:13 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

jdmeister wrote:
In logic and critical thinking, a slippery slope is a logical device, but it is usually known under its fallacious form, in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question.

A slippery slope argument states that a relatively small first step leads to a chain of related events culminating in some significant effect, much like an object given a small push over the edge of a slope sliding all the way to the bottom.

The strength of such an argument depends on the warrant, i.e. whether or not one can demonstrate a process that leads to the significant effect. This type of argument is sometimes used as a form of fear mongering, in which the probable consequences of a given action are exaggerated in an attempt to scare the reader.

However, if an argument uses valid reasoning, it would not identify by the slippery-slope approach.

The fallacious sense of "slippery slope" is often used synonymously with continuum fallacy, in that it ignores the possibility of middle ground and assumes a discrete transition from category A to category B.

Modern usage avoids the fallacy by acknowledging the possibility of this middle ground.

Y0re mileage may vary.