KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A crazy thoughtsuggestion for Mr. Harrington & PEP Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
So my brain has been kinda working overtime with this HELP program. And i start to think about things that have happened to me, like how some of my discs will not seem to rip cleanly no matter what i do because of minornd imperfections.

And i'm thinking to myself, "How are people going to get perfect graphics if the disc won't rip properly.

So that made me think to ask Mr. Harrington if Kurt would be able to help.

Which got me thinking further..,, Would there be anythinging from a legal stand point that would prevent soundchoice/PEP from selling the CDG coding/graphic file ONLY. No music involved here, just the graphic coding of the mp3+g.

If there wasn't they would be able to offer clean graphics for their entire catalog, just prove that you have the disc and pay a couple of bucks to pay for shipping the the time to put it on a disc.
gi
Or they could even add it as a free service to HELP *pun intended* out legitimate karaoke hosts.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:26 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
What are you ripping with?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:57 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

powercdg. And no, it isn't the drive because 99% of the stuff i have ripped with it turns out flawless.. The most logical explination that i can come up with is that there are minor scratches on the data/top side of the disc.

-James

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Could you clean them up with this? I've never tried it...

http://www.powerkaraoke.com/src/prod_ka ... reator.php

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:11 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

you probably could, but for all the effort and work it would take on a large collection, i'd rather just pay PEP for the files if it were possible

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1003 times
While I appreciate these suggestions and see their merit, I am concerned that they would run afoul of the copyright laws, particularly as regards distribution. But we'll give the suggestions some consideration, and if we can find a way to do something similar without creating liabilities for ourselves and our customers, we may give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:
While I appreciate these suggestions and see their merit, I am concerned that they would run afoul of the copyright laws, particularly as regards distribution. But we'll give the suggestions some consideration, and if we can find a way to do something similar without creating liabilities for ourselves and our customers, we may give it a try.

thanks for the honest answer. I honestly didn't know if it would present a legal problem or not. Some people call the cdg coding something akin to 'software' but others seem to view it as a type of 'lyrics' so i didn't know which way it would go.

but hey you never know until you ask, right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 92 times
Maybe a synchronization rights issue?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 172 times
If you own the cdg, and you have an mp3+g track, that is on the cdg, but obtained from a different source........I don't see anyone bringing a case against you.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:34 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

HarringtonLaw wrote:

Is it because of the lyrics? If so, would a lyric reprint license be sufficient? As long as the cost was reasonable, i certainly wouldn't mind paying that expense for the security and convience we are talking about

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
lyric reprint is only one of hte necessary licenses. the expensive one is the sync license.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:57 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Paradigm Karaoke wrote:
lyric reprint is only one of hte necessary licenses. the expensive one is the sync license.

But you aren't actually syncing anything. There is nothing to sync it to. Its just a bunch of graphic coding until you pair it with the proper music, which you already own in my original idea, so I don't think the music publishers would be able to prove damages.

of course, there may be other issues i am not aware of but Mr. Harrington has already said he would look into it. My followup questions are based solely on curiousity/why

-James

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
jclaydon wrote:
Paradigm Karaoke wrote:

But you aren't actually syncing anything. There is nothing to sync it to. Its just a bunch of graphic coding [url]until you pair it with the proper music[/url], which you already own in my original idea, so I don't think the music publishers would be able to prove damages.

of course, there may be other issues i am not aware of but Mr. Harrington has already said he would look into it. My followup questions are based solely on curiousity/why

-James

the highlighted part is where it matters. pairing it with the video of the graphics is where the sync license comes in.
compulsory license to make the music (the "CD" or "MP3" part)
lyric reprint license for the graphics of the words (the "G" Part)
sync license to put them together (the "+" part)
put them all together and THEN you get a CD+G or MP3+G.