KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Sweet Georgia Brown Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sweet Georgia Brown
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
This is not a meant to be an argument about the quality of SGB tracks. Rather, the legality of some SGB disks.

Most of my SGB disks are black and yellow. I've also seen them with blue labels, and silver labels. Does anyone know if these other disk colors are legal.
Since Chartbuster has bought the rights to SGB music, I want to keep legal.

Thanks ahead of time.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Sweet Georgia Brown
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:26 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Skid....not sure best bet would be to email CB and ask...wish I had an answer for you

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
E-mailing CB would be a waste of time, simply because SGB changed labels a few times, and IF CB has the rights ( and there's no proof that they do) even they wouln't know.

Black & gold, and purple and white are, to my knowledge, proper label colors, at the very least- but even proper label colors are no guarantee...

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Skid Rowe wrote:
This is not a meant to be an argument about the quality of SGB tracks. Rather, the legality of some SGB disks. Since Chartbuster has bought the rights to SGB music, I want to keep legal.

With all due respect and NO intention of being argumentative ----- :) kinda hard to believe that Chartbusters bought the rights to Sweet Georgia Brown music. :confused: Could be true, but no google search results. Cheers!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:17 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Brian A wrote:
Skid Rowe wrote:
This is not a meant to be an argument about the quality of SGB tracks. Rather, the legality of some SGB disks. Since Chartbuster has bought the rights to SGB music, I want to keep legal.

With all due respect and NO intention of being argumentative ----- :) kinda hard to believe that Chartbusters bought the rights to Sweet Georgia Brown music. :confused: Could be true, but no google search results. Cheers!

Why not? So many people don't seem to mind and even encourage about the crappy quality, why not a major label buy them out & put them in their docket. Doesn't mean they are going to continue selling them under CB label.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:13 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 7 times
Lon, the vast majority of my library is SC, CB, SBI, and some orphans. When doing shows I ALWAYS pick SC over all the rest. I have about 20 of the SGB disks to fill some holes here and there. Some have the black and yellow label, some purple and white, some silver. My question was mearly to find out should I take the purple and silver ones out for legal purposes.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:07 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
No idea what the original colors were.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 180 times
I have 2 of them in my collection that were bought at least 10 years ago from karaoke.com. They are black and silver I don't use them but I think they were leagal when they were purchased.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

If you bought them 10 years ago, I'm guessing the black and silver are good. They changed their labels a lot.

The all silver are DEFINITELY counterfeit.

Also, as I said in another thread: Always check for codes on the inner ring. No code? Probably fake.

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Fri May 20, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
I have a full set of SGB-First Edition. I ordered them from AceSonic along with my first Hard-Drive CD+G player. They look like this:

The code is visible, though not exactly legible in this image.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:
I have a full set of SGB-First Edition. I ordered them from AceSonic along with my first Hard-Drive CD+G player. They look like this:

See if there is a publication date on any of the discs or packaging. SGB has been out of business since around 2005.

I have seen those exact same labels on Music Maestro MH102 and MM103 substituting the Music Maestro name and number where applicable.

No code is pretty much a definite counterfeit, but having code is not neccesarily a guarantee.

There may be another answer as well, but it's only a pure supposition on my part. MM and SGB went out within a short time of each other. Someone may have bought up both catalogues and started producing- until they got shut down too? Again, just another possible scenario...

Either way, I don't believe they are "first" edition, and came out much later. I don't doubt YOU, but the source of the discs.

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Fri May 20, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
They did not come with any packaging. They were preloaded on the AceSonic player and the discs were shipped along with it in a soft-case cd binder.

I've never seen a MM disc that looked like that. I have over 300 MM CDG's, they all appear to be the standard labels with different solid colors to distinguish the series' numbers.

These (SGB) were purchased in late 2004/early 2005.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 17 times
MtnKaraoke wrote:

I'm looking at a SGB disk with the same label and it has the following printed at the top:

Copyright 2001 - 2004
All Rights Reserved
Recording, Copying of this
material in whole or in part is
prohibited by Federal Copyright Law
without the permission of the copyright holder
Email to: SGBkaraoke@yahoo.com

There is also a code in the ring of the disk.
ECK1500-6443-SGB0013 DPI/CA and a small barcode opposite the above.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:45 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

MtnKaraoke wrote:
They did not come with any packaging. They were preloaded on the AceSonic player and the discs were shipped along with it in a soft-case cd binder.

I've never seen a MM disc that looked like that. I have over 300 MM CDG's, they all appear to be the standard labels with different solid colors to distinguish the series' numbers.

These (SGB) were purchased in late 2004/early 2005.

No reason you would have seen the MM discs- they are not original MM's and yours are. The two I mentioned are the only ones I've seen as well.

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Original SGBs had no more licensing than the re-makes. As long as the quality (such as it is) is the same, and you have the discs, and know their source.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
JoeChartreuse wrote:

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Original SGBs had no more licensing than the re-makes.

Yet, KNOWING this, you and most of the other karaoke hosts on this board will willingly RECOMMEND, USE and BUY them - with the only complaint being a lack of quality.

Ethical karaoke host = supporting the RIGHT groups of pirates?

:giveup:

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:51 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

hiteck wrote:
MtnKaraoke wrote:

I'm looking at a SGB disk with the same label and it has the following printed at the top:

Copyright 2001 - 2004
All Rights Reserved
Recording, Copying of this
material in whole or in part is
prohibited by Federal Copyright Law
without the permission of the copyright holder
Email to: SGBkaraoke@yahoo.com

There is also a code in the ring of the disk.
ECK1500-6443-SGB0013 DPI/CA and a small barcode opposite the above.

Whoa. Then it looks like I'm in error regarding the SGBs ( not the MMs though), and you're good to go!

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Moonrider wrote:
JoeChartreuse wrote:

Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Original SGBs had no more licensing than the re-makes.

Yet, KNOWING this, you and most of the other karaoke hosts on this board will willingly RECOMMEND, USE and BUY them - with the only complaint being a lack of quality.

Ethical karaoke host = supporting the RIGHT groups of pirates?

:giveup:

Well, I'll tell you what: Feel free to name a fully U.S. licensed manufacturer- say, the ones you use.

Almost ALL mfrs. have distributed tracks that are now no longer sold by them due to licensing problems- but are still a part of KJ's sets. These same manufacturers DO NOT publish lists of their unlicensed tracks, making it impossible for a KJ to know which of their tracks are licensed, if any.

As far as I know MAYBE Pocket Songs and SyberSound are fully licensed, as well as Disney.

Are you telling me that these three brands comprise your entire library?

We- all of us- run karaoke shows on the sufferance of the publishers and the owners of the music rights. NONE of us would last without their forbearance.

All I can do is be as legal as humanly possible, using original mfr's. discs for which I have paid and have receipts. For this reason, no one can prove intent to defraud on my end.

However, if the publishers and owners were to decide to do so, they could probably get a court order for ALL karaoke hosts to cease and desist.

They don't, for reasons known only to them. Therefore, it is my belief that I am acting ethically. If they they ever DID go for a "Cease and Desist", I would be ethically, as well as legally, compelled to do so.

I hope that answers your question.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:15 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
we have a purple and whit SGB "tools" set in our junk box the have serial #s and copyright info so I think they are legit

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Yup, I have them too, somewhere, and you're probably right. The ones I keep in my binder are just the first 66. As a matter of fact, I only recently found out that there are actually 68 discs in the basic set!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
JoeChartreuse wrote:

Well, I'll tell you what: Feel free to name a fully U.S. licensed manufacturer- say, the ones you use.

I don't use ANY of them. I stopped hosting because . . .

JoeChartreuse wrote:
Almost ALL mfrs. have distributed tracks that are now no longer sold by them due to licensing problems- but are still a part of KJ's sets. These same manufacturers DO NOT publish lists of their unlicensed tracks, making it impossible for a KJ to know which of their tracks are licensed, if any.

In other words, they're pirates. So you rationalize your ethical dilemma away with . . .

JoeChartreuse wrote:
All I can do is be as legal as humanly possible, using original mfr's. discs for which I have paid and have receipts. For this reason, no one can prove intent to defraud on my end.

However, if the publishers and owners were to decide to do so, they could probably get a court order for ALL karaoke hosts to cease and desist.

They don't, for reasons known only to them. Therefore, it is my belief that I am acting ethically. If they they ever DID go for a "Cease and Desist", I would be ethically, as well as legally, compelled to do so.

I hope that answers your question.

So you intend to keep supporting pirate manufacturers until somebody MAKES YOU stop. Because you can.
Just like karaoke manufacturers will keep pirating until someone MAKES THEM stop. Because they can.

Fair enough. Hardly the ethical high ground though. So I repeat my assertion:

Ethical karaoke host = supporting the RIGHT groups of pirates.