KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Question For The Experts Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question For The Experts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
Who produces "Sweet Georgia Brown" CD+G disks?

This country? UK? An Arab in his garage in San Pedro? :mrgreen:

Inquiring Minds want to know..

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:21 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 17 times
I'm not an expert nor do I know for sure, but had heard (i think on these boards)that Chartbusters now owned the rights to SGB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Then the cartons of SGB disks in a garage in San Pedro belong to CB?

How odd.. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:30 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Although CB has "claimed" to have "purchased the catalog a few years back" they also have claimed that they have "registered the copyrights" but have on ALL occasions refused to provide any verification whatsoever since the copyrights to any of the SGB tracks are NOT apparently registered with the U.S. Copyright office and cannot be located on their web site. CB has not even provided a copyright registration number that can be verified. Chin wagging at it's finest.

But they want to charge you $199/year to use their discs don't they?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

In that case, those disks are mine if I take them home?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
jdmeister wrote:

An Arab in his garage in San Pedro? :mrgreen:

I'd say this is probably closer to the truth. Same with All Hits, MegaHits, Dr. Music, oh and another good handful that have no address or contact info available throughout the years. Pretty much all the same though - many of the aforementioned tracks are incorporated in the SGB sets as well (some on the original SGB discs actually had All Hits logos), just reincarnate & change looks.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

This guy didn't know much about Karaoke.. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Well look at it this way, if you take them you will have a good supply of great shotgun targets!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Thunder wrote:
Well look at it this way, if you take them you will have a good supply of great shotgun targets!

Which brings back the question; "why would chartbuster be interested in purchasing a catalog of shotgun targets?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Makes sense to me. They buy up the library so they have more to control - not necessarily to sell, although with the amount of kj's that think these sound just as good as a quality product - then why not sell them too, but I don't believe that was their intent. Since many kj's claims they would no longer carry SC, heard some state that with CB now as well and go with other brands. The more brands the suers have, the more they can control.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:05 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Lonman wrote:
jdmeister wrote:

I'd say this is probably closer to the truth. Same with All Hits, MegaHits, Dr. Music, oh and another good handful that have no address or contact info available throughout the years. Pretty much all the same though - many of the aforementioned tracks are incorporated in the SGB sets as well (some on the original SGB discs actually had All Hits logos), just reincarnate & change looks.

Well, I was there for a different purpose, and spotted cases and cases of fresh CD+Gs in the garage. All ready for sale.. (I'm guessing for sale ) and he was an Arab, and it was his garage, and they were fresh burns.. (I know a burn when I see one.)
with very nice printed tops "Just Like The Originals"..

So far, nobody claims any knowledge of SGB disks being made in San Pedro. Right?

Unless SGB is printing disks in Pedro, he's a pirate.. (Just a guess)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:12 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

jdmeister wrote:
Lonman wrote:
jdmeister wrote:

Well, I was there for a different purpose, and spotted cases and cases of fresh CD+Gs in the garage. All ready for sale.. (I'm guessing for sale ) and he was an Arab, and it was his garage, and they were fresh burns.. (I know a burn when I see one.)

So far, nobody claims any knowledge of SGB disks being made in San Pedro. Right?

I would say those are not actual SGB discs. At least the original SGB discs were pressed & not burned.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

For $399.00, you can buy a duplicator, that burns and prints the tops...

Kinda cheap to start up a pirate enterprise.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Lonman wrote:
jdmeister wrote:

Actually, it's simply that all of these companies had sharing agreements, and in some cases the agreements included DK, Music Maestro, and others. Therefore, many of the same tracks may have appeared under the multiple labels, but they were not all the same.

For instance, I know that Dr. Music had some proprietary tracks, and I sure wouldn't match the overall quality of the above under one umbrella in the sense that the shared tracks seem to have been recorded with varying degrees of quality under the different labels. By this I mean that though the actual tracks may have originally been the same, some had richer sound or other enhancements.

However, the answer to the ORIGINAL POST is simply....no one. Original SGB label product has not been produced in around 6 years- maybe a little longer. Plenty of different counterfeit sets out there though....

For a product that everyone agrees to be of lower quality, virtually every KJ I know has a set.....

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:56 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Lonman wrote:
jdmeister wrote:
Lonman wrote:
jdmeister wrote:

I would say those are not actual SGB discs. At least the original SGB discs were pressed & not burned.

If the Arab is burning them, I guess they are not SGB disks.. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:57 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I am one of those unvirtual kj's that don't have a set. I have 3 discs total - were given to me & 1 came as a demo disc for a player I bought years ago. Luckily the only song I have from them that actually gets used is Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You - Lauryn Hill.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:37 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Surprised nobody asked for an address.. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Lonman wrote:
I am one of those unvirtual kj's that don't have a set. I have 3 discs total - were given to me & 1 came as a demo disc for a player I bought years ago. Luckily the only song I have from them that actually gets used is Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You - Lauryn Hill.

And I have 4 SGB discs in my library... I bought them before I formed an opinion of that brand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 204 times
I have the Sweet Georgia Brown First Edition 1-68 collection and Toolbox 1 & 2 (20 more disc with updated/edited tracks).

They were purchased through Acesonic with my first hard-disk/CD+G disc player.

I don't have any issues with their quality.

I do some weddings, but most of my interactions with wedding parties comes at my weekly venues, especially during the summer in the mountains, and there is one song they have that no one else did (except All Hits and it is the exact same music track) and that is "I Knew The Bride" by Nick Lowe.

I still prefer their version of "Piano Man" by Billy Joel to the others I have.

I still get a chuckle out of it when my(new) singers see the Sweet Georgia Brown logo when the song starts and they turn to me and say: "I didn't sign up for that song."

This mfr's product has also been pirated and compiled on SCDG as "Magic Tracks".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Most KJ's that have them do so for two reasons:

1) When first starting out, they were a cheap set with an eclectic choice of titles, and were a goodd way to find out what was popular in their area without a huge investment. I still recommend them for that purpose only...

2) BECAUSE they are so cheap, many singers have them at home to practice and party with, and when they go out they like to to sing the version ( whatever the quality) they are used to. Just another service offered by the KJ..

This is also why I keep ALL versions of tracks in my books.

" Disc based and loving it..."

Last edited by JoeChartreuse on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.