KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - One of my BEST investments Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 20 times
Kuelman, I think your assessment of DK is spot on. I've also noticed that if you have a Soundchoice song that is out of your range, try the DK, and it is (usually) easier to reach. Like the title of this thread says, one of my best investments.

Rosario

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:16 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
praise the lord and pass the ammunition!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I like DK ok, I have a good handful. Back when I started, it was only DK or Pioneer for video or graphic karaoke, even SC hadn't hit the CDG market yet, they were still tape based. No one bought both sets because they were for the most part pretty similar in song listing. Except VERY expensive (Pioneer discs went from $120-150 each, DK discs went from $50-75 each). So people got used to one or the other & that is what their preference was. Pioneer happened to be mine. I always found the DK recorded in wrong keys, and the flute guide was a distraction - especially over the crappy systems of yore.
Today, I hear alot of those songs now over a good system and find many of them recorded very well. Eq'd properly, the flute line is lessened (Pioneer actually had an underlying flute guide as well, just not as pronounced). Plus they did have songs that were not out on other manus (albeit not many anymore). I wouldn't mind finishing out my original 99 set. Only missing about 50+ lol.
The president of DK was on another forum I used to frequent back in 96 and before he died, he stated that they recorded certain songs purposely in a lower key because they felt that most singers couldn't hit certain ranges. He did make the comment that if they had to do it over, they would have recorded in proper keys.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lost my (Bee Gees) voice a looooong time ago, but with this collection, AND alot of practice, I'm singing alot of songs that I haven't sung in YEARS. Not quite to the state of "I've Just Got To Get A Message" yet, but I have added significately to my repertoire.

Rosario

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just about every Karaoke player system disc or compyter has a key changer! Doesn't that sort of negate the need to have music done in the wrong key to begin with?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:17 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
That's what key changers are for to begin with......:)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
DK was the reason I got into PC karaoke in the first place. The place I work at has a set they bought back in the 90's, and by the time I got there a lot of the discs were in bad shape.

Orchestration wise, I'd say better than SC stuff. SC has a few stinkers (synth music), but I can't think of a single DK song that sounds terrible.

Listen to "Yes we have no bananas" sometime. Really nice brass section, tons of instruments, mid song tempo change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I use Compuhost, which has a key changer on it, BUT, SOME of the songs that I've changed the key on, EVEN Soundchoice, don't sound as good (to me) as the DK. I don't know the reason, but they are easier to sing. I'm not making a blanket statement here, and suggesting ALL of the songs work this way, but I have found quite a few.

Rosario

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Many well known companies include a Scdg or two with their karaoke players....guess according to some legal experts on this site......those Scdgs are illegal, and the companies are pirates.......:)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:04 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Virgin Karaoke @ Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 pm wrote:
Just about every Karaoke player system disc or compyter has a key changer! Doesn't that sort of negate the need to have music done in the wrong key to begin with?

Ah yes, but, in my humble opinion, you can not compare a live-digitally- key- changed version with one recorded at a different key.......just not the same to my ears........ps......there is no wrong key, or there'd be only one artist per song, and after several years, even many original artists wouldn't be able to give a rendition of their own songs......lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes the DK uses a different key on many songs as well as small changes in tempo and then there is the melody line to help singers stay on key and in time to the song. If I need all that I shouldn't be singing to begin with, if it is a song I want to (and can) sing then just give me the music as close to the origional as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:52 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 172 times
I need all the help I can get, and I'm not ashamed or too hard headed to admit it........besides, I wanna sing them all, and I duhs what whatever I have to do...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:54 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
Virgin Karaoke @ Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:46 pm wrote:
Yes the DK uses a different key on many songs as well as small changes in tempo and then there is the melody line to help singers stay on key and in time to the song. If I need all that I shouldn't be singing to begin with, if it is a song I want to (and can) sing then just give me the music as close to the origional as possible.

Virgin I'm glad you said " If I need all that I shouldn't be singing to begin with" and not "if anyone needs,,,,,,

It is karaoke after all.