KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Which Karaoke Companies Are Filing Lawsuits? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:07 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Workmen @ Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:32 pm wrote:
No trademark violation has been talked about here, only copyright violations. If the user of a karaoke song is a pirate fine they should be prosecuted but statements made by Sound Choices legal arm ( http://www.apsandassociates.com/soundchoice/ ) are not as those who have posted in this forum think but they will be used.

What are you talking about ALL SC EVER SUED FOR WAS TRADEMARK VIOLATION.
It has been talked to death here and on various other forums on the net.

http://www.karaoke-forum.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

http://www.azcentral.com/business/artic ... e0723.html
http://www.karaoketraveler.com/soundcho ... 20209.html
http://scsafeharbor.com/aboutlawsuits.php

So lets drop it.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:39 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Thank You!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Bazza @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 am wrote:
Alan B @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 am wrote:
If you're legal, you have nothing to worry about. If you don't want to take the chance that you might be audited, then get out of the business.

That pretty much sums it up.

No, even if you're legal they want your money. I had 500 SC disks but they still wanted $6500 period. If you have two systems they want the $6500 whether one system has SC or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

theCheese @ Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:14 am wrote:
Bazza @ Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 am wrote:
RLC @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:54 pm wrote:
If within your 3000 song collection you have the "right" songs then 3000 is more than enough to run a very sucessfull karaoke show.

Numbers don't mean jack. It's quality of song selection.

I actually got a bid request yesterday that included the demand "Must have at least 100,000 songs". Made me laugh.

HAHA.. that's probably SoundChoice posting those requests!

That way, they don't have to pay investigators..

"High paying weekly gig available, must have 100,000 songs or more, include your contact information and a PDF of your songbook!"

They dosn't pay investegators. Most of you here would turn in your brother if you thought you may get a job out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Not buying into that. Sorry. Probably alot more into this that is not being stated on your part. I know people that have been through the audits, I am about to schedule myself, not one had to pay, they showed their discs & that was that.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Spankme99 @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:57 pm wrote:
If within your 3000 song collection you have the "right" songs then 3000 is more than enough to run a very sucessfull karaoke show.

I actually got a bid request yesterday that included the demand "Must have at least 100,000 songs". Made me laugh.

"High paying weekly gig available, must have 100,000 songs or more, include your contact information and a PDF of your songbook!"

They dosn't pay investegators. Most of you here would turn in your brother if you thought you may get a job out of it.

No but have no problems turning in thieves - whether it be a relative or not. A thief is a thief!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
Spankme99 @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm wrote:
If you're legal, you have nothing to worry about. If you don't want to take the chance that you might be audited, then get out of the business.

No, even if you're legal they want your money. I had 500 SC disks but they still wanted $6500 period. If you have two systems they want the $6500 whether one system has SC or not.

I find that hard to believe. I went through their audit and came out owing nothing. I spent $3600 not because I had to but because I chose to get the GEM series. There is a difference between those who went through a voluntary audit and those who got caught up in the lawsuits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:21 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1279 times
Spankme99 @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:55 pm wrote:

this is an outright lie. the money was not for the discs you had, but for the ones you did not have. i also went through a voluntary audit and was asked for not a single penny. anybody having all the discs to go with their hard drive is scott free. so how did you rip them in if your foundations are unopened? and your figures are off, only 1000 8125's ever hit the street, the other 1000 never got sold. there was no third 1000 discs, stop trying to start $hit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
DannyG2006 @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm wrote:
[I. I know of a couple who went through the audit and came out with letters that state that they were now given permission to format shift their library of Sound Choice discs.

Sound Choice- or any other manufacturer- cannot give ANYONE "Permission to format shift". They are not the legal owners of the music.

What they can and will do is simply tell you that THEY won't sue. However, the owners/publishers and others still can. Heck, even other MANUFACTURERS can still try...

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Actually, if anyone would bother to read what is being done they might have some small understanding of exactly what they are talking about. Sound choice is giving "permission" (to those who ask and bother to show that they are 1:1) to copy their product to another format.

As long as people are unwilling to read or too one track minded to understand it, there will always be those who are confused on the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:18 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
Spankme99 @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm wrote:

$6500 for what? If you had the discs as you claim then it would have ended there. I and several other kjs volunteered to have our discs audited and that was the end of it. SC never asked or demanded any money from any of us. And several are running more than one system. So what made your situation differant? Please claify with some detail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lonman @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm wrote:
Spankme99 @ Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:57 pm wrote:

No but have no problems turning in thieves - whether it be a relative or not. A thief is a thief!

Amen brother!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:02 am wrote:
DannyG2006 @ Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:37 pm wrote:
[I. I know of a couple who went through the audit and came out with letters that state that they were now given permission to format shift their library of Sound Choice discs.

Sound Choice- or any other manufacturer- cannot give ANYONE "Permission to format shift". They are not the legal owners of the music.

What they can and will do is simply tell you that THEY won't sue. However, the owners/publishers and others still can. Heck, even other MANUFACTURERS can still try...

I think that is what Danny was trying to convey, that SC will not sue since you have chosen to shift after you have shown that you actually own all the disc of music that are loaded onto your hardrive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:27 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Virgin Karaoke @ Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 am wrote:
Actually, if anyone would bother to read what is being done they might have some small understanding of exactly what they are talking about. Sound choice is giving "permission" (to those who ask and bother to show that they are 1:1) to copy their product to another format.

As long as people are unwilling to read or too one track minded to understand it, there will always be those who are confused on the issue.

Um, huh? Again: SC CAN'T "give permission"- they haven't legal right to do so. What they can do is tell you they won't sue you if you do it- but that's it.

Even SC issues a disclaimer saying the same thing. What's the question?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 am wrote:

Um, huh? Again: SC CAN'T "give permission"- they haven't legal right to do so. What they can do is tell you they won't sue you if you do it- but that's it.

They've never stated they COULD give permission, they've state THEY will not sue for 1:1 use. Never stated that the actual publisher wouldn't come after you although that is highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:33 am wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 am wrote:

They've never stated they COULD give permission, they've state THEY will not sue for 1:1 use. Never stated that the actual publisher wouldn't come after you although that is highly unlikely.

Thank you Lon- Completely correct- though some refuse to read this properly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What "disclaimer" are you refering too?

First you post that Kurt says one thing and then you post that he says something else. This is per your post and I was wondering depending on which time you post something do we start to consider what you have to say to be the truth?

Quote:
Um, how many of you PC hosts know that "1:1", in regard to SC isn't just a matter of having all the discs to match the tracks. Nope. "1:1" in regard to SC means that each and every KJ who rips SC's discs must have obtained individual written permission from SC. This is per Kurt.

Quote:

Again Sound Choice is giving "permission" to shift "their product" and they will not sue for "trademark" violation! no they do not give you permission from the copyright holders of the songs, but no one has ever made the claim that they do. Of course Sound Choice has never taken a "copyright" action against anyone either.

Everyone seems to be stuck on a copyright issue when that is not the issue. The issue is the Sound Choice trademark being violated by making and displaying a copy without the expressed "permission" of the trademark owner, it really isn't that hard of a concept to understand.

It doesn't matter if you own 10 copies of every single Sound Choice disc ever produced making a copy of even one trademark and displaying it without the "expressed permission" of the trademark owner is a direct violation of trademark law, (just ask your IP attorney)!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:08 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

And again, ad nauseum, Steve, They CAN'T GIVE LEGAL PERMISSION, and never claimed that they could- only that THEY wouldn't sue. Also, no one brought up COPYRIGHT issues. Non- seqitor

By the way, if you are going to post a younger, darker and fuller haired avatar of yourself, why would you think anyone wouldn't know who you are? I mean, it's even the same pose as your elder avatar....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:08 am wrote:
And again, ad nauseum, Steve, They CAN'T GIVE LEGAL PERMISSION, and never claimed that they could- only that THEY wouldn't sue. Also, no one brought up COPYRIGHT issues. Non- seqitor

By the way, if you are going to post a younger, darker and fuller haired avatar of yourself, why would you think anyone wouldn't know who you are? I mean, it's even the same pose as your elder avatar....

You really are funny what is it with some of you guys still trying to call me by someone else's name?

But besides that point, I have to ask why did you make this statement, I am just having a hard time keeping up with your stories is all.

Quote:
Um, how many of you PC hosts know that "1:1", in regard to SC isn't just a matter of having all the discs to match the tracks. Nope. "1:1" in regard to SC means that each and every KJ who rips SC's discs must have obtained individual written permission from SC. This is per Kurt.

Did Kurt tell you this or did you just make it up? So again which one is the "untruth" you are telling?

So if it isn't about the copyright but it is about the trademark what makes you think that Sound Choice can or can not give their "permission" to copy it?