KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Questions for audited KJ's Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:09 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1672 times
Being in the business for almost 20 years now I’ve been buying Sound Choice discs since from Spotlight, to Power Picks, to Brick/Foundation and the dreaded MediaCloq equipped cd’s. 8125, 8148, 8199, 8393 you name it I got it. I bought 'em right after release. DKK’s Chartbusters, PopHits Monthlies, Legends, RadioStarz, etc. So, no problem on 1:1 ratio.

Lately, I’ve been downloading unreleased songs from buykaraokedownloads.com and select-a-track as per customer’s requests. None shows any SC logo. I don’t think they even have SC

No downloads from karaokechannel.com. Their songs look exactly like SC minus the SC logo. Anyway, I read in one of the threads that downloaded karaoke songs are for personal use only and not for commercial use. I have 6 cd’s/60 songs downloaded. They are listed in my book and I play them. Question: If the SC police come to our venue are they going to question the legality of me playing these downloaded songs (none of them are SC)? Do I take them off my song list & hardrive?

I have Music Maestro Elvis Collection and 10 Chartbusters cdgs in one binder that were lost/stolen 3 years ago. Fortunately, they’re in my hardrive. I bought these on or about year 1998. Don’t have the receipts anymore. Kept them for seven years, discard after that (my accountant’s advice). That was then. Now I know better. I don’t do that anymore. I will keep them as long as I am in business. Question: Does SC police represent other manus as well, or are they only concerned about their own product? Do I take them off my song list and hardrive?

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
If you don't have the discs for the ones that were stolen then you need to take them off your hardrive as well. No disc = no track. As to the downloaded songs, I personally wouldn't worry about them unless they are SC, CB or PHM. As long as you kept receipts you should be okay.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:16 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
SC has said that if they audit you and notice some other manu's songs on your hard drive that they might notify them.

Downloads are a tricky question. You said unreleased songs with no logo's attached, just who is making them not karaokedownloads for sure it could be that they are just stripping the logos out!

Danny's right if you don't have the disc for the track on your hard drive you need to delete it .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:57 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
Seems the meat of the SC lawsuits is not that the person is in possession of the songs.. but the improper display or use of their logo.

Which suggests if there was no logo.. no lawsuit.

I wouldn't worry about Music Maestro coming after you for that Elvis collection.. aren't they out of business?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
any song that you do not own on original manus disc should be removed.
Downloads are not legal for PROFESIONAL us in the U.S.......most sites that sell downloads state(sometimes well hidden) for personal use only. Forensic examination of "stripped tracks" (tracks that have been intentional stripped of the trademark can be tracked to the original producer.
The "big 3" have been buying up the rights to now defunct lines to include in their holdings.

Protect yourself...do not keep or play any songs that you are not 1-1

Lee McGuffey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Brian A @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:09 pm wrote:
I have Music Maestro Elvis Collection and 10 Chartbusters cdgs in one binder that were lost/stolen 3 years ago. Fortunately, they’re in my hardrive. I bought these on or about year 1998. Don’t have the receipts anymore.
Unfortunately these would not be legal to keep as active in your library.
Pretend you were not computerized and lost those discs, you would not have them anymore, once you lose the original, you lose the 1:1 right.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
If you download from the internet site that sell karaoke they usually say in their Terms Of Service that the files can oly be used for personal use. Check the site for that info.

If you have tracks that are SC brand but the logo is cut off that is still not legal to use if you have downloaded them from the internet.

If you were to go thru an audit by the manu and you have the tracks on your hardrive but do not have the original discs, they will require you to delete them from your hard drive to be compliant.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
theCheese, again you're wrong. by removing the Trademark label you are violating the Trademark Act. Imagine if you will if someone pulled the label off a bottle of Coca Cola and sold it or portrayed it as "Karaoke Cola". Methinks the people in Atlanta would be on you in a second. Nice try but no dice.