KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Kurt Slep on the state of karaoke Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
cueball @ Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 am wrote:
I thought it was very funny that Kurt didn't mention anything about "POOP" in his article. The only group he mentioned was the ADJA.

quote:
Sound Choice has chosen to partner with ADJA, the worlds leading association for Mobile DJs and Karaoke Hosts, because we believe in their Code of Professional Conduct.
end quote

Help me here, who or what is "POOP". Where did I miss this one?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:59 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cueball @ Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 am wrote:
I thought it was very funny that Kurt didn't mention anything about "POOP" in his article. The only group he mentioned was the ADJA.

quote:
Sound Choice has chosen to partner with ADJA, the worlds leading association for Mobile DJs and Karaoke Hosts, because we believe in their Code of Professional Conduct.
end quote

As a board member of our local chapter of the ADJA, our code of ethics is specifc regarding using legal music.

See: www.adja.org

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Dr Fred @ Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:53 pm wrote:
There is no laws/legality that are based on the FORMAT of the track regarding it's legitimacy for public/private use.

If SC or Chartbuster has the right to sell a song as a download for PRIVATE use they also have the right to sell the Song for PUBLIC PERFORMANCE.

There is only a concept of people like Kurt that think that KJs should have to pay more than private users for a song. The concept that downloads are illegal is just because SC decided that it is easier to sue illegal download companies than actually sell songs for download to KJs.

OH, but there is!

The copyright laws are specific regarding media shifting for commercial use. The media is sold in the cd format which means that is how it is intended to be licensed played. If everyone wants to play lawyer and interpertate the meaning to suit their own use, also assume all the risk that go with that if it comes down to a ruling that goes against your view.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:12 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jerry12x @ Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 am wrote:
leopard lizard @ Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm wrote:
They have at least one hand tied behind their backs in trying to compete with the overseas companies that have less stringent laws.

I had actually been wondering that one quite a lot.
One of you will have the answer.

Why don't they market through the UK?

They could but then thay couldn't sell legally here in the states as is licensing here is the problem anyway

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:23 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
But you are able to buy Zoom and Sunfly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:12 am wrote:
DannyG2006 @ Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 pm wrote:
They won't do downloads as there is no license in the USA to protect the KJ from being sued for comercial use from the original copyright holders. Even Chartbuster's downloads are for private use only.

" Protect KJs? No. Covering their own a$$. By the way, you DO know that even the factory original GEMs have not been licensed in the U.S., right? In the UK, but not here. "

I am gonna ask what I am sure others are asking,

Joe,
Where or how do you know that the GEM series are not licensed in the states?

That crediable info would be helpful to boost you agruement but, as hearsay is just that and only chatter and misinformation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
The license is in their own contract states.
Quote:
4. RESTRICTIONS ON MEDIA/CONTENT LICENSE.
(a) FIELD OF USE. This license is restricted to use of the Media and Content by you to conduct the
commercial business of providing live karaoke entertainment to or for third parties. It is not for
private home use or for license to the general public.
(b) GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTION. This license is restricted to use of the Media and Content by you
within the United States of America and its possessions and Canada and its possessions (“the
Licensed Territory”). You may not export the Media or Content from the Licensed Territory.

I see nothing where it says it isn't licensed to USA users, I see where it states it IS licensed for USA users. Not sure where Joe is getting the misinformation. Maybe a link to a site would clarify things???

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
I hadn't visited SC's website in awhile. Looks like the GEM sereis is being heavily promoted on the front page: http://www.soundchoicestore.com/

Hope SC gets back into the swing of making music again. Especially the songs I want (cough cough). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
BruceFan4Life @ Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:36 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ September 11th 2010, 3:38 pm wrote:
BruceFan4Life @ Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:25 pm wrote:
What's funny is that Joe C does have hearing issues.

Correct- but only in the center of the of the midrange. I have superb hearing in the low ranges, and very good hearing in the high.

I knew you ( the #2 I mentioned in a reply to Mick) would chime in shortly.... :mrgreen:

Well, you are the guy that claimed to be doing around 20 shows per month when you weren't doing any, if my memory serves me correctly. LOL :roll:

It doesn't.

You're the diva who isn't and never has been a host, and knows nothing of that end of the business or about electronics, if my memory serves me correctly... :mrgreen:

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Jian @ Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:33 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ 12th September 2010, 4:28 am wrote:
theCheese @ Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:24 am wrote:

1) So you don't use MP3+G man? You're still old school disc based?

2) A strong argument could be made that a .WAV doesn't have as much as.. say.. a live band in the room. That two speakers in stereo simply cannot re-create the same sound as a live band.

3) So we should just tell SoundChoice and the other Manu's to pound salt, and hire a 7 piece cover band to play all the music?

4) Put the music on a scope.. is this guy for real?

5) Well.. after exhaustive testing of the two audio sources here at Cheese Labs using a wide variety of recently calibrated Spectrum analyzers and oscilloscopes, i've concluded that anyone who can tell the difference between the two without aid of such a device has no business attending one of my shows.

1) Yup. I've been in electronics research all of my adult life, so it's not about fear of new things. I started with tapes, went to laser discs, then CD+G. When something of BETTER QUALITY comes along, I'll go to that.

2) Well, accoustically, here's how it works:

A) Vinyl: Has the MOST audio range by far, with all the nuances that can be recorded, and carries the most audio information.

B) CDs/CD+Gs: Much more clarity than vinyl, with a bit less range.

C) High Quality Analogue Tape: More audio range than than a CD, but less clarity. Less audio range than vinyl, but more clarity.

D) .WAV and other "lossless" files: Still pretty good, though somewhat less so than the above- a LOT depends on the consumer ( No consistant QC), but if handled properly, a decent music source.

E) MP3: A single layer low info digital file that used to be known as a "sampler" file. Meant to give an IDEA of what something is supposed to be, in order for someone to decide whether to get a proper recording or not.

3) Nope. I just think they should lower the price to reflect the product, and knock off the hoop jumping that goes with it.

4) Yup. If one can't hear the difference, but wants to know if there is one, that's the way to do it.

5) Agreed. :roll:

All that being said, I have no wish to argue about what sounds good or not. I have already stated that most can't hear the difference. Also for Lon: Rip rate is important, but keep in mind that many PC users are not experts, and there are plenty of mistakes to be made in plenty of areas.

My original point was that Sound Choice is selling a lesser product, whether you hear it or not, and cheaper to produce.

Why would any sane business person pay more for less?

Vinyl: Has the MOST audio range by far can you explain this statement, Joe.

Not the easiest thing to do. Mainly, a vinyl master is made by using ALL( by all I mean any recordeable sound) of the vibrations (sound) made by the the musicians, it's tranferred directly to the master disc.

There is simply more information ( sound in all ranges and nuances) recorded by this process than any other. Unfortunately, this also means more dischordant sound is also recorded, reducing clarity.

A CD has much more clarity, but the digitalization process which creates that clarity does so at the cost of nuance and range.

An example: Analogue TV may not have had the clearest picture ( like vinyl didn't have the clearest sound). However, in a storm you could watch analogue TV even if the pic got a little fuzzy.

A digital TV may have a clearer, sharper picture ( like a CD has in sound), but if any information is missing, the picture just stops or de-rezzes. A fuzzy pic ( in my opinion better than none) is simply unaccepted by a digital TV.

This is because digitalization creates a stream of "on-off" information. Unlike analogue, there is no middle ground. The "fuzz" in the audio sense is the nuance and extremes in range- and digital recording simply doesn't accept it.

Well, now you know why I'm not a teacher. I have the info, but the gift of passing it on clearly eludes me. :roll: :lol:

I can only hope I explained it well enough..... :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:01 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

jerry12x @ Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:12 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:28 pm wrote:

1) Yup. I've been in electronics research all of my adult life, so it's not about fear of new things. I started with tapes, went to laser discs, then CD+G. When something of BETTER QUALITY comes along, I'll go to that.

Joe. I have been in electronics design part of my adult life.
I don't have superior hearing that you and your customers have.
Mine is probably worse than most of the population.
I also started with tapes.
I moved to computer.

Having read many of your posts.
I find taking you serious a little difficult.

That may be partially because of misunderstanding. To repeat ( for the third time, I think) It's not a matter of superior hearing at all, it's a matter of [/b]where ( in what ranges) one hears BEST. Human hearing covers a range- it's not a blanket affair. If one hears poorly in one range ( in my case center midrange) one may still have superior hearing in another.

If one has good hearing in a range not well covered by an MP3, one will notice the lack.

Again ( also for the third time), I agree that most have more centrally located hearing ranges and may not notice the difference. There's no real reason to drag this out.

My original point was in regard to
paying more money for a lesser product ( whether perceived by most or not) being a bad business move.

That's it. Nothing more.

Hey, if you want to pay more for less, go to it! If it's good enough for the government and their $900 toilets, it's good enough, I guess.

Back when I owned a passive components distributorship (Grappler Electronics, Inc.) I had the pleasure of dealing with the government on a few occasions.

On one such occasion, they were interested in buying some areospace rated variable capacitors ( Stettner brand). The price I quoted to them was $9 each. They replied that they had to pay
$100 each. This made absolutely no sense to me ( my cost was around $3.50 each).

They told me it would cost more in time and money to change the price than it was worth.

No more logical than paying more for less in MP3s, but I guess the seller is happy, and if you're happy too, then all is well.... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

rumbolt @ Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:09 pm wrote:
Dr Fred @ Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:53 pm wrote:
There is no laws/legality that are based on the FORMAT of the track regarding it's legitimacy for public/private use.

If SC or Chartbuster has the right to sell a song as a download for PRIVATE use they also have the right to sell the Song for PUBLIC PERFORMANCE.

There is only a concept of people like Kurt that think that KJs should have to pay more than private users for a song. The concept that downloads are illegal is just because SC decided that it is easier to sue illegal download companies than actually sell songs for download to KJs.

OH, but there is!

The copyright laws are specific regarding media shifting for commercial use. The media is sold in the cd format which means that is how it is intended to be licensed played. If everyone wants to play lawyer and interpertate the meaning to suit their own use, also assume all the risk that go with that if it comes down to a ruling that goes against your view.

Well put, and correct. Thanks, Rum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

rumbolt @ Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:12 am wrote:
DannyG2006 @ Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:13 pm wrote:
They won't do downloads as there is no license in the USA to protect the KJ from being sued for comercial use from the original copyright holders. Even Chartbuster's downloads are for private use only.

" Protect KJs? No. Covering their own a$$. By the way, you DO know that even the factory original GEMs have not been licensed in the U.S., right? In the UK, but not here. "

I am gonna ask what I am sure others are asking,

Joe,
Where or how do you know that the GEM series are not licensed in the states?

That crediable info would be helpful to boost you agruement but, as hearsay is just that and only chatter and misinformation.

Nope, not hearsay. Kurt has stated it outright on another forum. He claims ( probably correctly) that it's easier and cheaper to be licensed in the UK- and that's what he did.

Additionally, 2 folks who have received GEM discs have posted that the label shows them made in the UK by another company for Sound Choice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:28 pm wrote:
The license is in their own contract states.
Quote:
4. RESTRICTIONS ON MEDIA/CONTENT LICENSE.
(a) FIELD OF USE. This license is restricted to use of the Media and Content by you to conduct the
commercial business of providing live karaoke entertainment to or for third parties. It is not for
private home use or for license to the general public.
(b) GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTION. This license is restricted to use of the Media and Content by you
within the United States of America and its possessions and Canada and its possessions (“the
Licensed Territory”). You may not export the Media or Content from the Licensed Territory.

I see nothing where it says it isn't licensed to USA users, I see where it states it IS licensed for USA users. Not sure where Joe is getting the misinformation. Maybe a link to a site would clarify things???

This is a license for use drafted by Sound Choice for their customers, not the music companies license granted to Sound Choice, which is what I was referring to.

Remember SC 8125, 2029,8550,2163,8435, 8438, etc...? These are some of the many tracks and discs that were produced by SC without proper licensing from the music owners, and were subsequently pulled from production.

I bring up SC's licensing to make the point that if we're expected to jump through hoops for their pruduct, they should at the very least provide proper documentation of their licensing.

Yes, I'm aware that none of the other companies offer it either, but all they ask for is the sale price- and then you OWN the disc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
Why is Kurt posting on some unknown blog? People don't even respond to the blog posts and the only reason we know about it is because we're sort of karaoke whorebags.

Kurt you should write stuff like this on the KIAA website. It's setup for blogging, and it'd be a lot easier for us to track it down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:24 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
toqer @ 14th September 2010, 2:25 am wrote:
Why is Kurt posting on some unknown blog? People don't even respond to the blog posts and the only reason we know about it is because we're sort of karaoke whorebags.

Kurt you should write stuff like this on the KIAA website. It's setup for blogging, and it'd be a lot easier for us to track it down.

better still, post here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:49 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

toqer @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:25 pm wrote:

He's not posting on some unknown blog, and I didn't say he was. He's posting on another FORUM.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 33 times
Joe I wasn't talking to you, I was referring to the original post 4 pages ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:47 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

toqer @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 pm wrote:

OOPS! :oops: My bad. I misunderstood. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
toqer @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:15 pm wrote:

Actually the link from the OP is not a blog or forum. That was actually a link from a local karaoke paper for the Pacific Northwest - Northwest Karaoke Guide. It was more of an article that was written by Kurt at the request of the editor for the paper if i'm not mistaken.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next