KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Anti-Piracy Statement Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Anti-Piracy Statement
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:23 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I've been reading the comments and been involved in some of the discussions concerning industry efforts to control piracy. As such, I am thinking about placing a page in the front of my songbooks that says something to the effect of the following:

{Company Name} proudly supports the efforts of the Karaoke Manufacturing Companies and the Karaoke Industry Alliance of America. As such, all songs in our extensive library have been purchased on disc so that the proper royalties are paid to the companies and individuals who produce music in karaoke format for the rest of us to enjoy. Because of this, our collection may not now have the song you are looking for. Should this be the case, please let us know of a song that you prefer and we will consider purchasing it for you for a subsequent show.

We will, when possible, be happy to play songs that you provide on authorized CDG discs provided by the manufacturer. However, please understand that we will be unable to play songs burned onto your own CD’s, DVD’s, or provided on portable media such as zip or thumb drives.

Thank you.

Does anyone have thoughts on this and reasons (pro or con) regarding it's use?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
It is good.
Possibly you can try and reduce the amount of text.
Peoples attention span is short, They may not read it all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:21 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Realy will it make any difference...I doubt it.

I have seen may KJ's books with rules/regulations/ect... in the front of their books will or sorts of crazy and realistic things in them. No one really pays attention.

Also, I doubt if most singers or even venue owners/managers care if the music is legal or not. Espically the owners/managers, if the KJ gets busted for illegal music, they can claim ignorance to the fact the KJ used illegal music

Just my :2cents:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Quote:
I doubt if most singers or even venue owners/managers care if the music is legal or not. Espically the owners/managers, if the KJ gets busted for illegal music, they can claim ignorance to the fact the KJ used illegal music

Yes, twansenne, I'm sure you're right about that!

I am confident that most venue owners (and patrons for that matter) don't care at this point whether the music is legal or not. But don't they really need to? If we are trying to clean up the industry and make it a better place for those of us trying to keep karaoke alive, don't we owe it to ourselves to get involved and educate?

Yes, they can hire the pirate for $100 or less and give us the boot, but as we educate and cull the herd, they will have to conform or quit running karaoke. If they want it at that point, they will have to pay the going rate. And I don't believe 1) we get paid what we're worth for our talents and investments, and 2) we would raise the pay to play price so high that it keeps us from being hired.

I personally think it's time that everyone knows what is happening to the karaoke industry. The bar owners didn't like it when BMI started visiting them and charging them performance fees. But they were given a choice. If SC visits, it will cost them some legal fees at the least. We can do our part by at least making an attempt to let them know what's coming if they continue to act as they have (ignorant of the law). If they knew acting that way might affect their liquor license (ie their livelihood) they might choose to act differently. Actually it could affect them as refraining from engaging in illegal activity is a normal requirement of a liquor license.

So, instead of doing nothing (as it sounds most are doing) I think making the statement is a first step. I have created a brochure with an anti-piracy statement and will be happy to discuss with anyone and refer anyone that wonders what it means. Will I lose singers? Only those that have to have every song ever written and only sing the same ones over and over. Will I turn the venue owners off? Only the one that choose to ignore the law. Those that don't care probably know that what they are doing is illegal and choose to continue. I count myself alone in my area against several pirates. The owners don't care so I'm forced to play for cheap. That doesn't mean I don't continue to educate every chance I get.

If we choose to do nothing, does that not mean that we are a part of the problem instead of a part of the solution?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
I agree with what you are doing. Most won't read or care but to do nothing perpetuates the apathy. You might reach a few and the bar owners won't be able to say they weren't warned.

I should add it can also cause you a bit of flak. Some of our people have grown up with the pirates and see talking against them as trying to interfere with them making a living. We have also had rumors spread that we are threatening people with KIAA letters even though it is someone else sending them. Make sure your own house is in order first--we have pirates trying to retaliate by turning people in for lack of business license, calling the health dept, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:01 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

[quote]I agree with what you are doing. Most won't read or care but to do nothing perpetuates the apathy. You might reach a few and the bar owners won't be able to say they weren't warned.

I should add it can also cause you a bit of flak. Some of our people have grown up with the pirates and see talking against them as trying to interfere with them making a living. We have also had rumors spread that we are threatening people with KIAA letters even though it is someone else sending them.[/quote
]

I've run across what you're saying L.L. When it comes to the general public's perception, I've run into those that say "so what if he downloads? He's got a lot of songs." Then they only sing the same 4 songs every night. These people are so used to downloading their own music that they have no idea about legality or even that there is a difference in for home use or for a show. (Not that I believe it's ok to download for free anywhere for any reason).

I guess pushing the issue could be problematic. In my case, I run a show and share Friday nights with a downloader. Hell of a nice guy, but doesn't understand the legalities. I mentioned the KKS hard drive case to him the other night and his response was "I have my hard drive password protected so no one is going to gain an advantage by stealing mine." WTF - This guy thinks what is on his drive is his personal property.

I am not looking to start arguments, but if I put the info out there for people to ask questions, I am going to answer them honestly. If a club I work (or just frequent) is being marketed by a pirate, I will mention that they want to be careful in choosing and know what their liability might be.

Education is imperative or no one will know (or care) what is happening in AZ, FLA, SC, etc. In the rural areas, there is much more ground to cover to accomplish the same goal. It might take a little longer to cover that ground.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
I think it is great :D