KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Is Sound Choice's Plan Working? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Does anyone possess first-hand information that Sound Choice's plan is working in a way that is likely to EVER benefit us KJ's? No rumors please.

Just things you have experienced, heard about directly from other KJ's as being their experience(s) or heard from venue owners?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
I think just from reading Kurt Slep's commentary in the KJ's board on this site, the SoundChoice plan has nothing to do with helping KJs, it is 100% about SoundChoice recovering what they deem to be stolen revenue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Our dive had shows on Thur/Fri/Sat, each night with a different host. Fri and Sat had disc-based hosts and Thurs was a CAVs show advertising 100,000 songs. We had asked our venue owner not to allow the CAVS show and told him why but his repsonse was, "Who's checking way out here?"

A few weeks later he received a form letter from the KIAA telling him how to tell if he had a legal library host or not. He asked Mr. 100,000 songs to show his discs or hit the road. He hit the road to next door but didn't stick long and doesn't seem to be doing shows anymore.

It was not a big impact but it seems that our venue owner wasn't taking the legal library thing seriously until it hit closer to home. Then all the big talk went out the window. However the two surrounding venues have chosen to ignore the letters, if they got one. The immediate effect on us was that the singers in a small town were less diluted out by having so many shows and we no longer had Mr. 100,000 songs waiting in the wings to take over our show when we asked for more money. He was doing his for free.

I do have a prediction for what would happen if suits were filed in our area. As we had brought up the illegality of the CAVS show to our owner, it will be presumed that we are the ones who got everyone's friends in trouble for doing something that "everyone does, anyway." We will probably face a boycott from some singers and any bars that get named would not want to hire us. Some may not want the expense of legal shows and will give it up. They weren't going to pay anyway and probably aren't up on their ASCAP either. But there may be some nicer restaurant/lounge venues that are large enough to afford being legal and want a nice show. I think the suits will make it easier for them to make the decision to be some of the last left standing who have karaoke. Right now it is presumed that illegal libraries have no consequences so it is difficult for a venue to do the right thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
TopherM @ Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm wrote:
I think just from reading Kurt Slep's commentary in the KJ's board on this site, the SoundChoice plan has nothing to do with helping KJs, it is 100% about SoundChoice recovering what they deem to be stolen revenue.

That's fair. If it helps legal KJs, all the better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mckyj57 @ Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:51 am wrote:
TopherM @ Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm wrote:

That's fair. If it helps legal KJs, all the better.
The OP asked if there is any evidence that SC's plan is working? Please do not address anything else, particular our personal opinions! This is not an opinion poll

leopard lizard Re: Is Sound Choice's Plan Working?
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am wrote:
Our dive had shows on Thur/Fri/Sat, each night with a different host. Fri and Sat had disc-based hosts and Thurs was a CAVs show advertising 100,000 songs. We had asked our venue owner not to allow the CAVS show and told him why but his repsonse was, "Who's checking way out here?"

A few weeks later he received a form letter from the KIAA telling him how to tell if he had a legal library host or not. He asked Mr. 100,000 songs to show his discs or hit the road. He hit the road to next door but didn't stick long and doesn't seem to be doing shows anymore.
That is great news and shows effective things can be done aside from SC's efforts, but again, it doesn't address the OP.

Maybe we need another thread?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:26 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

My understanding was that SC was part of the KIAA and hence what the KIAA did was part of SCs plan. If you meant are just the suits having an effect, then you will have to wait a bit to get that answer from our area. My point was that hearing about the suits gave the venue owner the knowledge that there could be consequences and actually getting a letter from the KIAA showed it COULD happen in our area so he payed more attention.

Do you mean to specify that you only want to hear from people in the areas where the suits have actually been filed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:58 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Uh oh--did I say a bad word?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

tovmod @ 10th February 2010, 2:37 am wrote:
Does anyone possess first-hand information that Sound Choice's plan is working in a way that is likely to EVER benefit us KJ's? No rumors please.

Just things you have experienced, heard about directly from other KJ's as being their experience(s) or heard from venue owners?

@leopard lizard: no

OP ask a very specific question to the KJ community, thus this thread got moved here.[/i]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:50 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Okay, thanks. I was afraid maybe it was now against the rules to mention certain organizations or something. I guess the OP has rephrased his question and this thread is obsolete, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
leopard lizard @ Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 pm wrote:
Okay, thanks. I was afraid maybe it was now against the rules to mention certain organizations or something. I guess the OP has rephrased his question and this thread is obsolete, anyway.

Nah... But we call that organization by their new name... POOP.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:05 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 1080 times
cueball @ Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 pm wrote:
leopard lizard @ Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 pm wrote:

Nah... But we call that organization by their new name... POOP.

I thought that was the word filter on tilt again.. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:43 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
Five people in my area I KNOW to be pirates have "disappeared" after SC's first sweep in FL. Rumor has it Stellar is in town now so I beleive it is working abet slowly

KJAthena

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:37 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

we have booked 2 new shows and have 2 more to start in july. All of these venues were looking for LEGAL hosts and passing the audit got us in :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:43 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
kjathena @ Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:43 pm wrote:
Five people in my area I KNOW to be pirates have "disappeared" after SC's first sweep in FL. Rumor has it Stellar is in town now so I beleive it is working abet slowly

KJAthena

What Athena didn't mention here but put forth on the other forum is that NONE of the 5 shows that disappeared were named by SC for anything.[b] They are just gone....

Argument with venue owner?

Wasn't bringing in enough to justify being there?

The host sucked and Athena runs a good show?

Found better venue elsewhere?

Retired?

Nothing to do with SC????

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

kjathena @ Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:43 pm wrote:

KJAthena

What Athena didn't mention here but put forth on the other forum is that NONE of the 5 shows she mentioned were named by SC in regard to ANYTHING. They are just gone....

Argument with venue owner?

Wasn't bringing in enough to justify being there?

The host sucked and Athena runs a good show?

Found better venue elsewhere?

Retired?

Nothing to do with SC????

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Well if those venues were looking for 'legal' hosts, then I would say she got those clubs because of the SC suits - whether they were named in the suit or not, she got the clubs because of it.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:23 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

the venues that called us for the July shows asked to see proof we were legal....they had to know about the suits even if the hosts they were using were not named :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:12 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:08 pm wrote:
Well if those venues were looking for 'legal' hosts, then I would say she got those clubs because of the SC suits - whether they were named in the suit or not, she got the clubs because of it.

Why would you say that? There is no evidence of it. Hazarding a guess is fine, but there should be SOME basis for it...

There are a myriad of good reasons why hosts would shut down, and I named several. This is assuming 5 actually did shut down, of course..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:49 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

We will start advertizing our Safe Harbor and KIAA memberships on all business cards and handouts we use to look for work in august when we have our membership #'s verified....We may even spend a few bucks mailing info to the bars in the area provided by KIAA. Can't speeak for anyone else but this is working for us and for now we are the only hosts that can prove legality....this will change as more legit hosts request audits but we are grabbing the horse by the reigns now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
JoeChartreuse @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:12 pm wrote:
Lonman @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:08 pm wrote:

Why would you say that? There is no evidence of it. Hazarding a guess is fine, but there should be SOME basis for it...

There are a myriad of good reasons why hosts would shut down, and I named several. This is assuming 5 actually did shut down, of course..

Uh... Joe.... Read the post just before yours. I think KJ Athena answered your query about proof about 30 minutes before you posted this.