KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Is it Pirates Or Ambiguous Copyright Laws in the US? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Is it Pirates Or Copyright Laws in the US that is hurting US karaoke manufacturers MORE?
Pirates? 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Inability to provide instant downloads? 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
My personal opinion that it's the laws over pirates, simply because of my own personal experience. I find it much more logical to get the songs that are requested on demand for a couple of bucks, than to buy a disk with a bunch of songs on it that will never get sung for $20. For my venues that have wi-fi (4 out of the 5 i work at), I can get the song WHEN its requested, not the following week!!

Out of all the songs you have, how many actually get sung?? We all know that we hear the same songs over and over... sometimes in the same night!

The model for karaoke right production is silly. Why produce a disk with production limits on 15 songs to 1000 when, lets say only two of them are the popular ones. For example, of the songs on the SC disk with "Picture" on... how many of those other songs get played?

Wouldn't make sense to pay for music rights on a per download basis? For songs that don't get downloaded, no money except for the cost to license and produce them.

That's whats happening in the UK and why downloads are available.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:20 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
I didn't vote because I don't think that it's the inability to get downloads or even the pirates that are worse for karaoke.
It's the lack of a proper legal definition for karaoke and hence the laws or lack thereof regarding it that is the major problem.
That and the fact that you can have all the laws you want regarding something, but if there's no one to enforce them, what good are they?
What we really need are "karaoke police" (or "music police" to encompass the whole scope of it and reduce costs). to go about policing it and enforcing the laws. Kind of like parking meter ticket guys, if you get my drift.
Until there are definite laws in place and an impartial party to police and enforce them, nothing will change.
The pirates will still download and share, just as they do in the mainstream industry.
It still happens, even in spite of those multi-million dollar lawsuits won against individuals who downloaded and shared.
Those lawsuits are NOT a deterrent, any more than the ones currently underway by SC will be.
But they will at least get some money for their product out of it. That's ALL that will happen. Don't kid yourself into thinking that this will end all piracy. It most certainly won't.
Studies and polls regarding the RIAA suits against individuals have proven it.
Heard it on CBC Radio here in Canada a month or so ago. It was a very interesting and enlightening program.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile