KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Post from Kurt Slep - SC Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Legalities & Piracy, etc... Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:03 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Here is a jump to Kurt Slep's 4th post on ODJT board.

http://www.ourdjtalk.com/showthread.php ... post324536

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:56 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I think this could be resolved a lot easier and quicker if the venue was held accountable for ensuring the entertainment is legal.

If their entertainment license was at stake...
Would they risk it.?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:36 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 43 times
I don't go along with that, Jerry (great name, by the way). Venues are already responsible for ASCAP/BMI licensing, and any local permits and licenses for amplified music, entertainment and zoning.
How could the venues possibly be made responsible for checking on trademark infringement? (If somehow that got approved, I could see venues universally dropping karaoke immediately as simply not being worth the trouble.)
The onus has to be placed on manufacturer, as the trademark owner, to go after parties they believe have stolen their rightful properties.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
jerry12x @ Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:56 am wrote:
I think this could be resolved a lot easier and quicker if the venue was held accountable for ensuring the entertainment is legal.

If their entertainment license was at stake...
Would they risk it.?

Apparently several venues as well as KJs are named in the recent lawsuits in Ten, and South Carolina.

I don't know how they were dividing up the liabality though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

tovmod @ Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:26 am wrote:
Having reviewed the original thread on the forum from which the SC post was taken I am left with the following thoughts. If I were SC and serious about the problem I would:

1. Go after every CAVS dealer before worrying about much of anything else. If SC is doing that, as they say, why are their lacky's only making posts to this forum alerting us of suits here and there against bars and kj's? There have been no posts of newspaper articles regarding suits against CAVS dealers and hard drive sellers.

2. Go on line and find as many multi-riggers as I could. Using websites, I have be able to find multiriggers all over the country. I "know" they are multi-riggers when they list 2-3 shows on the same night

3. Follow every MAJOR lead provided by KJ's. We often hear that these tips are being ignored

Quote:

CAVS systmes that are being sold now do not contain Sound Choice. So they appeared to close that loophole a while ago.

Muliti riggers, are sometimes legal, and the fact that they Multi-rig probably is not a great indicator of the KJ being illegal.

Multi riggers are more difficult to prove they are illegal if they have one set of legal songs. It must be demonstrated that they were used simultaneously, requireing multiple investigatiors.

Tips from KJs are heresay (and that is not legal evidence).

What SC's plans appears to be is to have a team check out the KJs in one area at a time, and make an assesment on the legality of the KJs. They will send their investigators to look at all of the KJs in one city, and then move on to the next.
Also for the trials they can bundle several lawsuits from the same city together and therefore cut their costs that way, by only having one court date and legal team for several lawsuits.

If they relied on tips, they would spend all of their investigation budget flying thier researchers from one city to the next.

As for me I still think that the chance of a KJ being illegal is the number of songs advertized. If someone has 100k legal songs they are a very rare exception and 99.9% of the KJs that claim that many are illegal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:31 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I think that the only way forward for the ENTIRE music industry is to embrace Downloading ,albeit legally,by making all the music available,and developing some kind of protection on the downloads,ie one copy only.
Also,whats wrong with Soundchoice,or any other manu for that matter,selling pre loaded hard drives ,licensed,and with all their songs on?. I'm sure people would want them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
cueball @ Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:17 am wrote:
rumbolt @ Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm wrote:
I help with that, I make "good" copies complete with stick on labels (copied from the originals) and put them in new jewel cases bought at the local office supply store. Then I simply tell them that I got them from my uncles best friends little sister whose great aunt on her boyfriends daddys side bought from this guy who made him a "great" deal since he was getting out of the karaoke business due to the fact that wife was leaving him for her step-brother that knew a man that could hook them up with a guy that could get them Ralph Lauren shirts brand new to sell at the flea market. He was told the shirts are the real deal cause they have Ralph Lauren labels in the collar and he can sell the way cheaper than the retail stores can.

My head hurts now!

But what about the Dog that died????

Oh? He didn't die, you mean the three-legged one eyed dog with no ears? He got a big contract in Hollywood doing a political talk show on Animal Planet and married a supermodel from Brazil.

(My wife says I have too much time on my hands)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:51 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
Also,whats wrong with Soundchoice,or any other manu for that matter,selling pre loaded hard drives ,licensed,and with all their songs on?. I'm sure people would want them.

Dave quite frankly I doubt many hosts could afford a legimate harddrive containing say 10,000 songs at a bargain price of $10,000 in one shot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote:
I think that the only way forward for the ENTIRE music industry is to embrace Downloading ,albeit legally,by making all the music available,and developing some kind of protection on the downloads,ie one copy only.

Why this easy solution cant work with US laws is that when Karaoke is made a contract is signed for a set number of copies of the song between the Karaoke company and the songwriter.

I suspect a substantial portion of the cost involved in legal karaoke is the negotiation of such contracts.

Of course the karaoke companies (or the songwriters) are not willing to pay for or sell unlimited numbers of rights.

CDs work a lot easier than downloads because the company can say "we are printing 5000 cds with your song on it" and write a single check to the songwriters and a one time contract.

With downloads it is a lot more difficult, how much of a pain do you think Sound Choice would have if they had to write 5000 or more checks each month to songwriters depending on how many songs were sold by each artist. Many if most of those montly checks might only be worth pennies.

UK has the advantage that companies there only have to pay a single entity that distributes the earnings like BMI/ASCAP does here.

For all of the annoyance we have as KJs with BMI/ASCAP imagine if the bar had to track down each songwriter and negotiate a contract for every song played in the venue separately. It would totaly kill public music.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:23 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Kurt has posted yet again on ODJT....

This time he responds to "DOWNLOADS" & "OFF SHORE" issues...

It's worth a read for all that have serious questions about these topics...

http://www.ourdjtalk.com/showthread.php ... post324701

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
He states in the above link that there is no issue in converting legally bought discs to computer format. In the UK we have to have a license to do that. Its called a ProDub Licence. The Manu's dont see that money tho...its just another "tax"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:58 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 582 times
Dr. Fred;

That would be true in a perfect world....

however it ain't perfect....

far from it and MUCH farther than you know.

InsaneKJ:

All smoke & mirrors....

"for those with serious questions"... these aren't the answers.

RBTL....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Wiggly Dave @ Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 am wrote:
He states in the above link that there is no issue in converting legally bought discs to computer format. In the UK we have to have a license to do that. Its called a ProDub Licence. The Manu's dont see that money tho...its just another "tax"

That's funny. In another of his posts he states unequivocally that SC does not have the rights to convert to digital! The funny part is, they apparently don't care, because they have converted those files to digital to facilitate downloading- again, admittedly without having the rights to do so.

Here's some more fun stuff:

FROM SC: "I can tell you this much: the rights on the downloads are WORLDWIDE – that is, the songs can be purchased from anywhere and downloaded to anywhere legally, without boundary or border restrictions. (Some sites in foreign countries are not legally supposed to be downloaded outside the territory where the site is located or licensed.) The BAD NEWS?? The publishers did not specifically grant permission for use in a commercial application. IN OTHER WORDS, you cannot use the download files in your show "

MY THOUGHTS: Please note two things here: 1) He states that the rights on dowloads are worldwide. Really? Under what WORLDWIDE authorized umbrella organization? Sorry, no "rights" here, just worldwide access.

2) Under his own admission ( FINALLY), you cannot use these downloaded files in your show

Is there now ANY QUESTION regarding the legal use of downloads to host karaoke? Rip from your discs only.....

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:25 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:06 am wrote:

That's funny. In another of his posts he states unequivocally that SC does not have the rights to convert to digital! The funny part is, they apparently don't care, because they have converted those files to digital to facilitate downloading- again, admittedly without having the rights to do so.

FROM SC: "I can tell you this much: the rights on the downloads are WORLDWIDE – that is, the songs can be purchased from anywhere and downloaded to anywhere legally, without boundary or border restrictions. (Some sites in foreign countries are not legally supposed to be downloaded outside the territory where the site is located or licensed.) The BAD NEWS?? The publishers did not specifically grant permission for use in a commercial application. IN OTHER WORDS, you cannot use the download files in your show "

MY THOUGHTS: Please note two things here: 1) He states that the rights on dowloads are worldwide. Really? Under what WORLDWIDE authorized umbrella organization? Sorry, no "rights" here, just worldwide access.

2) Under his own admission ( FINALLY), you cannot use these downloaded files in your show

Is there now ANY QUESTION regarding the legal use of downloads to host karaoke? Rip from your discs only.....

Joe,

What is your legal background or do you have a lawyer advising you?

I just want to know so I can judge the credibility of any of your statements here on KS or ODJT.

It is obvious that SC has lawyers so I would take creedence on what Kurt is saying based on the fact that he has legal counsel.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 25 times
Wiggly Dave @ Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:10 am wrote:

Funny despite several emails to the produb crew, they are yet to reply on the use of soundchoice discs and several others licensed in the USA within the uk. In fact I can't get a single reply as to if the license covers me at all for karaoke. :roll: especially considering I have permission from most manu's to copy the discs on a 1:1 basis.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 am 
InsaneKJ ... do you help the 'POOP' with their legal affairs?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:11 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
InsaneKJ @ Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:25 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:06 am wrote:

Joe,

What is your legal background or do you have a lawyer advising you?

I just want to know so I can judge the credibility of any of your statements here on KS or ODJT.

It is obvious that SC has lawyers so I would take creedence on what Kurt is saying based on the fact that he has legal counsel.

Thank you.

Please re-read: All I did was quote Mr. Slep HIMSELF!

HE said SC doesn't have the rights for conversion to hard drive. Yet they've done just that for downloading.

HE said ( FINALLY!) that KJs can't use these downloads in shows.

Insane, if you have problems with these statements, talk to KS- HE MADE THEM!

I merely highlighted them. In other words, he stepped in his own, um....., POOP.

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Again he is only saying SC does not have the rights he is not saying others don't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
Time for the devil's advocate here:
KS may have legal advice, but does that make his statements worth more than anyone else's statements?
Maybe it's bad legal advice he's got?
Maybe someone else did get legal advice regarding such?
Maybe they didn't and are only talking out their behind?

My own opinion here:
Just because he presumably has a lawyer, it doesn't make what KS says hold more weight here than what anyone else has to say.
By the same token, just because someone doesn't have legal advice, it doesn't mean what they say is completely wrong.
On this forum, I consider everything here a DEBATE, which doesn't really mean much in the real world, but it DOES open up a world of possibilities for solutions(maybe) while exploring the subject at hand.
Try and remember that, Kurt and InsaneKJ. We aren't in court here. It's a DEBATE, a CONVERSATION.
:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:59 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

CroakDog @ Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 am wrote:
InsaneKJ ... do you help the 'POOP' with their legal affairs?

No, & I have clearly stated on many posts that I do not have a legal background.

I was very adimate about not having a legal background on the many threads that were removed from karaokescene.

Also myself, as well as the company I work for, are just KJ/Host members of the POOP.

ADDED EDIT - However I did state on those threads that our companies lawyers looked at whether we should join The POOP or not & they advised that there was no problem in doing so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next