KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke for Twentysomethings... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I am in early discussions with a new venue about hosting a Karaoke Night - either on a Sunday Night or Monday Night.  This place has poker Tues & Thurs a DJ on Wed and live Rock bands Friday and Saturday.  From what I can tell the clientele is
primarily a YOUNG 20 something crowd.   THAT BEING SAID

What is HOT for the young crowd - Admittedly I have not kept up on the most recent rock or pop titles --just because they did not get requested at my current gig.
Not being a HACK I understand that if I am to be successful at this new gig I need to update my song lists with a few best of type discs.

So whats hot for the 21 year olds as far as titles or groups to sing
What if anything different does a younger crowd like in a karaoke show
( props - dance sets - games )

Lets here from some of you 20 somethings ......(or experienced KJ's)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:23 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I don't know if there can be a definitive answer on that.  If you live in a rural area then probably the crowd will like country music; if you live in a big city they won't touch it.  They're no different from us old folks in that regard.

I live in a college town, and most places I go to don't have too many twentysomethings, unless I go to the campus.  Down there that's pretty much all you get.  I would say that in my limited experience, the students tend to like more hard rock than elsewhere, with a little less country music and standards.  But really it's not all that different.  I've been surprised that when I've been to karaoke shows on campus, the students don't seem to mind singing older songs, from the 80s or earlier.  Most of those songs were before their time, but it didn't seem to matter.  Then again, it might just be because the KJ didn't have a whole lot of stuff that's come out in the last year or two; I don't know.  But it doesn't hurt his business, I'll say that.  That bar is always packed for karaoke night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I suggest going to www.soundchoice.com or any of the sites that sell CDG's (see the adds listed on this site or type KARAOKE CDG into a browser to get a full listing of sites that you can view) ...... and look at the newest releases for 2006 and 2007, in country, pop and hip hop.  At least 1/2 of our crowd is in the 21-30 age range ... and this is what we do to maintain a "current hits" portion in our catalog.  

Good luck to you!!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:04 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
My crowd is mostly in their early to late 20s, and you'd be surprised!! Contrary to what the other guy said, I work in the subburbs of a big city (Tampa Bay, FL, metro area population of around 3 million) and the majority of the younger singers do country songs. In fact, I have read on several occations that more country music is sold PER CAPITA in New York City than in Nashville, TN, AND there are more country music stations throughout the country than any other music format. So, the other guy's logic that country music is only popular in rural areas is ignorant. Anyway, my singers break down about like this:

50% country songs, 20% modern rock, 20% oldies/classic rock, 10% rap/R&B

Anyways, it is interesting because even though country is clearly what my patrons SING the most, what they want to HEAR the most (as in between karaoke singers, a.k.a. filler music) is old school and contemporary dance music. It is a strange dynamic, but I swear it is true.

When I first started at this venue 2 1/2 years ago, I played mostly contemporary rock music, and it drew little interest. Now, I play mostly old school hip-hop, contemporary top 40 hip-hop, and dancable rock and country, and the crowd goes absolutely nuts and keeps coming back for more.

I'll draw crowds of 150-200 in a 5,000 square foot bar (standing room only!!) and have received countless compliments from non-singers that I keep them entertained and coming back IN SPITE of the fact that they hate karaoke and would never go to any other karaoke bar.

So, take that for what it is worth, but I know I have a good thing going!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Do you feel the "younger" crowd prefers a just karaoke show or do you think more of a mix it up - karaoke - dance - regular DJ music - Karaoke SHow?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:32 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
jamkaraoke @ Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:05 am wrote:
Do you feel the "younger" crowd prefers a just karaoke show or do you think more of a mix it up - karaoke - dance - regular DJ music - Karaoke SHow?

That's your call, not knowing the clientelle.  If there are alot of singers, then go all karaoke.  If you have to continually coax people to sing, you may have to mix it up, if they want more dance music, the bar probably made a mistake in hiring karaoke & you may want to renagotiate what you are going to be doing for the entertainment.  I know you are versatile enough that you can do a DJ show as well & survive though.

I get a pretty young crowd early 20's to early 30's most nights, I don't necessarily have the latest & greatest of everything anymore - no point in trying to buy everything.  I try to buy what people ask for & request.  MOST of my requests are for country & classic rock up to the 90's.  VERY LITTLE requests for newer hard stuff or rap.  Our club requires us to eliminate any song with cussing as well so this eliminate almost the entire rap genre & hard core rock.  We get very little to no complaints over this.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I'de say go with top hits monthly type of disks then you don't have to think about it just add them and they will sing LOL  LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
One of the things I like about roxbox is you can save playlists for mp3 or DJ stuff..  One thing I learned at private parties was to latch on to one of the youngsters and have them "select" songs for the night Then smile when they would say oh wow you got dontcha!! When they were done I saved that playlist for future reference then built a karaoke lib for that clique...

The same can be applied to a new venue... Also note whats on the jukebox and note what they are playing.. Ask regukars what songs are hot.. Another reason why I take DJ requests if I dont have it and if it sounds hot Ill get it... Im a firm believer you dont try to attract a certain crowd with genre you cater to the crowd there..and add to it.... Keep tabs on Billboards top lists...

The younger set doesnt want dead air Ill use more FX with them for more energy. Anything with a quick pace Even Josephina by Bill Black's Combo will get them rockin.......

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:21 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
jamkaraoke @ Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:38 am wrote:
I am in early discussions with a new venue about hosting a Karaoke Night - either on a Sunday Night or Monday Night.  This place has poker Tues & Thurs a DJ on Wed and live Rock bands Friday and Saturday.  From what I can tell the clientele is
primarily a YOUNG 20 something crowd.   THAT BEING SAID

You answered your own question in a way.  Go to the bar on the nights with musical entertainment, and see what the crowds like.  THat will give you a general idea of what to play.   Also, talk to the owners and bartenders to see what the people like.  And if you are brave enough, talk to the DJ too.

If they have a DJ on Wed, I would shy away from doing to many "sets" of dance music.  Just record some good tracks on a mp3 player, set it to loop and hook it to your mixer.  Then use that for some buffer music between singers if needed.

There is NO set rule to what a crowd will like depending on their age.  I have seen 20 somethings sing songs from the 50's to today.

But for sure, get the latest songs.  I use and suggest the TOP HITS MONTHLY from Panorama.....
http://www.acekaraoke.com/karaoke-auto- ... b-cdg.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Great advise and suggestions !!!-

I plan to stop down one night and see with my own eyes what goes on there.
The jukebox is a great tool.  Nowadays they usualy list the most played songs etc. so you can see what they like. - If I get  this gig I will definatley but the monthly hits from the last 6 months - This at least shows the singers you have the NEW stuff. (eventhough the libary I have is not that outdated).

I would imagine that Country was popular with the younger crowd too, Rock and Pop I can see being popular also.  

Thanks for the advice---- Where's the 21-25 yr old singers ?  What do you like  to sing?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Your song mix will have to be the usual wide variety of karaoke---from sinatra, elvis, johnnycash, neiol diamond, country, 80,s 90,s, classic rock, some jaZZ, some standards, typically what u find at most karaoke places. THen order what people ASK FOR. Where I was dj/kjing it was primarioy younger crwod and my seletion was pretty current up though 2005. Had a small  % ask for rap snongs--sol u may want to have limited assotment of those---but Ive found the kids sing wht they learned to listen to as little kids, in otherwards what thier parents played all the time or they heard on the radio all the time. So gauge your time period accordingly. But order what peopel ask for.  

As to dance music--it needs to be UP TO DATE. Maybe a smattering of disco, some classic rock, a couple of swing songs, some country line dancing or stuff like BIG & RICH,  some modern hard rock(ROb Zombie),   and LOTS of top 100 rap hip-hop off the charts(Yeah, In Da Club, Bringin sexy back, etc) a good assortment of old school hip-hop/rap is VERY useful too. Also invetigate Reggaeton(latin hip-hop) Daddy Yankee(Gasolina, Rompe), Pitbull(Kulo)

I would not make a dance set any longer than 3 songs(2 would probly be better)  
Problhy need to do dance set no more than once or twice an eve. But will need music for fill in between singers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:13 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

If I can book this gig , The 1st night  at a new venue is always nerve racking
As a Karaoke Host I would of course steer the show towards 100% karaoke and if the rotation was short there are always plenty of crowd sing alongs to keep the momentum. I would have to let the crowd determine where to take the show as the night progresses.  I know from exeperiance that late night the GIRLS want to dance and the GUYS want to watch them dance.  So some careful mixing of Karaoke and dance could lead to a great show.  lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:45 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
You'd be amazed how many of the 20 somethings like singing the older stuff, Mack the Knife, etc.  Unless something is really hot on the charts, you'll find that most of the stuff on the Monthly discs aren't done.  Once a current song "cools", you seldom hear it again.  We probably use our KJ Tools and DKs more than any other discs (other than our Canadian discs).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:19 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

as far as dance songs sometimes you can get alot of answers right at home. one thing i do is always ask my 23 year old son what songs are getting the dance play at the clubs that him and his college buddy's attend, l also have a 15 year old at home for the latest hot songs. Of course i make it a habit to watch the top 20 videos on cmt and check out mtv and vh1 for there top songs, you ain't gotta hav'em all but just  a few new ones  can keep those booty's shaking.   I agree with the rest of you really you never can tell what a crowd will sing, here its mostly country it don't matter if your 3 or 90. I think people like to sing country & classic rock. its just always the mainstay...cal :worship:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:27 am 

What I have noticed about being in situations with a college-age to younger-30s crowd is that they like to select songs that have a certain camp value or irony. What they really want to hear is something that taps into the it's-so-bad-it's-good nostalgia -- think of those "I Love the 80's/90's" shows on VH1.  For some reason, kids who weren't even born when Journey was popular have really taken a shine to taking on their power ballads.  Same with hair bands.  And cheesy 80s and 90s R&B ballads can take on a different life by kids who want to pay an over-the-top tribute -- think Justin Timberlake on Saturday Night Live singing "D*** in a Box," which was a perfect send up of late 80s urban pop.  And then there are those who dig deep and will find a fun take on a perfect Neil Diamond track--way out of the range of their iPod, but perfect to get their friends singing along and laughing with "Sweet Caroline" (buh-buh-buuuh!).

But don't think you need to randomly buy up-to-the-minute discs to satisfy a young audience.  Unless you as the KJ are very familiar with the state of pop, dance and R&B today, forget about anything that's currently on the radio -- a song may sound good as a fully produced recording, but there are so few songs with distinctive melodies and hooks lately to keep singing interesting.  A "box" place that I frequent is very good at keeping up with new music, but there are so few singable tracks on the new discs that we always go back to what we know.  The temptation to sing a newer, hot song is strong, but once someone attempts it, be ready to hit cancel fast.  I just wouldn't offer them.

I think the main thing to consider is to allow for singers who may, at first listen, sound like a heckler or mocking the entire karaoke experience.  They ARE trying to look a bit goofy, as long as they don't appear to be taking it way too seriously.  Someone singing for ironic affect isn't trying to make anyone else look bad.  I may go up and sing "Father Figure" as straight and fine as I'd like as a George Michael fan, but a young duo might sing it to draw out its more naughty innuendoes. It's just a different kind of appreciation for the music. But the least cool thing for a singer in this kind of crowd to imagine is to go up to the mic, completely sober and earnest, and try to sing a current ballad or country hit like a diva/o.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:37 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
I would recommend the NorthStar Pop series, as well as  the SuperCore set.  Midrange to higher quality sets.  SuperCore has a great mix of standard to current songs. I think it's up to about 38 discs, though there are dupes...Northstar Pop will give you a good run of new music, but these are multiplex. You get an average of 9 tracks per disc plus the vocal versions.

You'll get better quality with Top Hits, Chartbuster, and Zoom, but a less focused age group

" Disc based and loving it..."