KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Rack Space Question Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rack Space Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:34 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I finally saved up enough to by a rack for my system. I know what size I want in inches (no jokes please  :wink:  )

My question: how many inches in a "rack space"?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Rack Space Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:47 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

gahmc @ Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:34 pm wrote:
I finally saved up enough to by a rack for my system. I know what size I want in inches (no jokes please  :wink:  )

My question: how many inches in a "rack space"?
One rack space (1RU) is
1.75" in height......Or 1 3/4"

Rack spaces are expressed in RU (rack units)

So.........for example, the math goes like this:

2RU = 2 X 1.75

2 X 1.75 = 3.5"

:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks a million!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Racks are standardized. They will all have the same measurement. As previously stated 1.75".

You will want to figure out how many rack spaces your mixer is and mount it in the top section and buy accoring to how many spaces you need on the bottom for you power conditioner, effects, cd+g player and ect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:12 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks Lyquiddye. I knew how I wanted it configured, and had planned to get my husband build one for me, but he knew I could be wicked picky, and decided to pay for me a new one, as opposed to dealing with me. :D  

Anyway, I had my plan drawn up, and measurements documented, but trying to research them on-line is a real pain in the rear, all they want to tell you is how many spaces it has, but I also want it to stand a certain height.....blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, thanks for the response. I know it can be a help to someone.(There doesn't seem to be a way to honestly thank you without it sounding kinda wrong...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:32 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

gahmc @ Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:49 pm wrote:
Thanks a million!! :D
Sorry, but "thanks a million" don't cut it. :(

I wanna see your pic either in your avatar or in your personal galley on your profile page.

I am the forum flirt, but I don't flirt with cartoons.

Everyone here knows I flirt with all you girls, but just one here knows who I am really interest in.

So post a pic so I can flirt with the real you.  :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:43 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Yeah, Keith, I know you are :yes: . And there is a picture there......And I'm sorry a million wasn't enough :bigcry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:37 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

One thing I haven't considered yet (duh), is anyone using a rack system & also using cordless mics? If so, where/how are you setting up your cordless bases? I can't figure out where I would put mine in a rack. I plan to get a rack where I put my Mackie board on the top.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:18 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
You can either stick it in the rack or stick it in the rear. Here's a diagram of where to put it...

In the rack

-----> (*)(*)

OR
In the rear

( * ) <------

Get your mind out of the gutter!! I'M SERIOUS!!! Alot of wireless mic bases have rack mount kits you can buy. Also, if you get something like a 10x6 rack, the normal depth leaves plenty of room to set the wireless mic base on the bottom of the backside of the rack. So, either put it directly in the rack, or stick it in the rear!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:01 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Check this ebay store out if you haven't already bought.  I've got several cases from here.  Pretty good quality & haven't had a problem yet.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Case-Store_W ... idZ2QQtZkm

As far as cordless mic, I just stick it on top, my mixer actually sits off to the side of the rack.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks for the reply guys!

Topher: for your suggestions: what do you do with the antanas, and wouldn't there be interference if I put it in the bottom?

Lonman: are you saying that you have your mixer on top of a rack, with no sides surrounding the mixer, or that your rack just provided enough space to set both on top?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:31 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
My mixer is sitting on the table next to the effects rack.  I have my wireless recievers sitting on top of the rack with my light mixer.  If I was going to rack my mixer I would honestly get a separate pop up mixer case.  Putting your mixer in one of those all in one combo units really limits yourself.  If have it where you can get everything in the rack, then the mixer is usually too high, if you have it where you have good access to the mixer & need to go into the rack often, then you are constantly bending over to get to those units.  But then I am constantly adjusting the effects & compressors for each singer so I need that rack at normal level so I don't have to constantly bend down.  My amp rack is underneath & my player rack is next to my discs.  If you don't have anything in the rack that needs to be touched at all throughout a show, a rack with the mixer top should be fine.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:51 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks for the input & picture. It's really appreciated.  I'm actually planning on getting more rack than I need, because I want it to stand high. I'm on the short side, so that helps. And I don't have the compressors, light mixers & such that you have. My setup is pretty basic. My main need/desire, is a rack I can roll off to the side, so I don't have to break down and set up my equiment every week. I'm fortunate that I have a secure place to put my equipment at the gig I work, but me & the band share the same stage, so I can't leave anything set up.  Right now I have to carry 3 tables up to the stage to set everything up on,  as well as move my speakers out, which I have on stands, and of course carry over my monitor stand and it gets to be a pain after awhile. I'm 5'3" and 110 lbs, and come to the gig after working my day job, so I often feel like I just worked out after setting up :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:50 pm 
My box is designed so that the mixer sits on top on an angled slope. (My box weights over 100 lbs.)    My heaviest box.     Depending on how long the mixer is.    My mixer has a swivel head so that all of my wires are connected from the bottom of the mixer.    This leaves room at the back of the mixer to put 3 mike recievers.     On top so the attenna stick up in the air above the mixer.     Most mixers are too long to mount this way and have any room behind them.   That is why I spend the big bucks to get one with the swivel head.     Pea Vee use to make them.    Now I have only seen Mackie has one.     These are 16 channel mixers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:15 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Make sure you give a lot of thought to your rack requirments.

As mentioned - If you rack all your gear in a standard format -
Mixer on Top
Power conditioner/Rack light
Effects/Maximizer/other
CDG player
POWER AMP

If you rack something like that it is going to be HEAVY !!!!!   and HIGH !!!!!!!
If you put it on the floor you will be constantly be bending down for the player
If you put it on a table ...You will be constantly reaching up for the  mixer
It all depends on your needs.  One thing to consider in making a rack is where are your inputs on your amp and effects - make sure you can plug everything in the back - leave enough room for jacks and cables etc.

I would suggest an SKB slant rack ---What I use !!  :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:45 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

WOOOO-HOOOO!....I found your pic!...Yep, I knew it, you are cute!...5,3"@110?...Perfect!

Ok, now that I did the required flirt, we can get back to business.

Please consider racking your power amps near the speakers if possible...If you do, then also place your crossover and even your EQ there if you use them. Amps near speakers allow much shorter speaker cables and you never need to touch them anyway during a show.....You can patch from the mixer rack to the amp rack with simple and inexpensive mic cables....Two 50 foot mic cables make a really good and cheap 'snake' and will not degrade your sound like long speaker cables do.

All you need in your mixer rack is the mixer on top and any FX, comps, BBE....You know, Just things you expect to tweek while hosting.

For the mic receivers, don't forget good old Velcro!....you can epoxy Velcro to the bottom of the receivers and stick them anywhere you want!...Even sideways or upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:42 pm 
I have every piece of equipment mounted in a box.    Every connection that can be left connected is.    I drop one 110 volt power cord from each box.   One for the mixer box, one for the machine box and one for the amp box.   These plug into a plug strip.     Two 1/4 inch cables come from the mixer box, to the amp.   4 RCA wires come out of the mixer box, to the machine box.    Coax cable from machine box to the TV.    Two speaker wires from the amp to the speakers.   Two speaker wires from the tops to the bottoms.    Done and done. :yes:

There are around 25- 110 volt wires condensed down, into one wall socket. :O

Mixer, mini lights, machines, RF modulators, effects, compressor, EQ, internal plug strips, mike receivers, TV monitor, Etc.   I didn't want to keep plugging and unplugging more than absolutely neccessary.    Too much wear and tear on them.    It's as pre-wired as humanly possible.   Saves a ton of time too.

I have to move 3 boxes, 4 speakers, 1 amp, book box, 3 suitcases, 900 karaoke discs and 6 ft. table.    800 pounds worth.   And no dance music to haul around.   That's the best part.   LMAO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Bigdog,

Just for grins, borrow a clamp on amp meter.

Next time you are plugged into a single wall outlet, clamp the amp meter on the power cord and see what you are pulling when LOUD.....If you are running close to or above 15 amps, you are flirting with death.....All standard wall outlets are usually fed off a 15 amp breaker and it can trip at the worst time.

Us karaoke guys usually don't need to worry about it, but as you grow your system and add speakers and amps, you should at least know where your are load-wise so you don't go dark mid performance.

Savy club owners install 20 amp 120 volt outlets on stage for that reason, but not always, so give it a quick check with a meter to see what you are pulling, then peek in the club's breaker panel to see what your outlet's breaker is rated for.

Another word of advise for all KJ's.........Buy you one of those little yellow outlet testers......Plug it in the bar's outlets before you connect your expensive equipment.....It will instantly indicate if the outlet is wired properly....ground, polarity and all that will be displayed via the little colored lights on the tester.....Just takes a second and only costs a few bucks, but it can save your whole stack. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:47 am 
Good comment Keith.  Another thing though ... multiple outlets in the same room are usually on the same "leg" (circuit).  You need to make sure, especially when hooking up in a new place, that there aren't other things on the leg that could cause suprises.  Saw a KJ have his entire rig go down (breaker popped) when someone started popping a bag of popcorn at a B-Day party.  Most dedicated stage areas will have 2 or more dedicated legs to avoid this problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 am 
Whoops, almost forgot to mention.  Circuit breakers will "weaken" over time and actually be able to deliver less amperage than their rating.  The best idea is to never exceed 90 percent of the circuit's rated amperage.