KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Music Search Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Music Search
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Okay, I'm looking for a couple of tunes.
Layla/Eric Clapton-what's the best acoustic version

Billy Idol-Zoom has a disc of nothing but B.I. tunes, has anyone heard this

Allman Bros.-Heard Statesboro Blues from Soundchoice, blew me away, are the rest of the tunes on this disc this good, or is there a better disc.

Crazy/Seal-Sunfly has this listed, is there another version just as good out there

I did my basic research using KJPro to look up the titles, but just wanted some personal feedback from you guys.

I'm just trying to mix it up and keep things interesting on my end.
Thanks,
James
Maninblack

Being critical of a person's success in any respect speaks volumes about the lack of your own.

Love as though you've never been hurt, Dance as though no one's watching, Sing as though God Himself were listening.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Music Search
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:51 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
maninblack @ Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:15 pm wrote:
Billy Idol-Zoom has a disc of nothing but B.I. tunes, has anyone heard this

Most of the Zoom discs i've heard have sounded pretty good - a little on the bassy side, but that's an easy fix on your channel eq.

Quote:
Allman Bros.-Heard Statesboro Blues from Soundchoice, blew me away, are the rest of the tunes on this disc this good, or is there a better disc.

This entire disc (Spotlight 8327) is excellent.

Quote:
Crazy/Seal-Sunfly has this listed, is there another version just as good out there

This is also on Sound Choice Spotlight 8942.  Haven't heard this particular track, but several of the other songs (70's-80's) sound great.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow, over 30 views and only one response. Thanks Lonman, I knew I could count on you.
I guess for the rest of you, I should keep my song request a bit more on  the generic side. Maybe I should just ask questions like:
What's your favorite version of 'The Rose' by Bette Midler
or do you prefer the Chartbuster over the Soundchoice version of 'Friends in Low Places' ;)

.....sorry, I'll turn the sarcasm button down now

James
Maninblack

Being critical of a person's success in any respect speaks volumes about the lack of your own.

Love as though you've never been hurt, Dance as though no one's watching, Sing as though God Himself were listening.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I had viewed it, but not had the chance yet to RECENTLY compare the tracks you asked for.

james, you DID ask for a LOT in that one post! Ya gotta give me a bit more time m'man! LOL!

I knew I hadn't heard the Billy Idol Zoom disc yet, so that part was gonna be a bust, anyway! The only thing I could have said was what Lonnie said... overall it's a pretty good manufacturer, but yeah, you have to adjust the eq a bit, where with SC, you really don't have to!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:15 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

maninblack,

I have the Billy Idol disc, and use it quite often. The quality is pretty good, it's comparable to SC.

The one thing I really like about Zoom is that they do medleys. People go nuts when I do the B.I. medley. Just starting to do the Roy Orbison Medley 1, will let you know how that goes.

Originally posted by knightshow:
Quote:
overall it's a pretty good manufacturer, but yeah, you have to adjust the eq a bit, where with SC, you really don't have to!

I have to agree, they (Zoom) do a good job with most of their stuff, but have to respectfully disagree that SC on some of their songs definately need some EQ. No manufacturer is perfect, not even SC.

The biggest manufacturer that I have to EQ has to be Chartbusters, turning down the bass.

Knightshow, I know you can't wait for Zoom to produce that Rick Springfield disc, I am waiting patiently for that one to come out too, wondering if they are going to do a medley for him also....hmmmm.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I was never big on their medleys... only because they don't flow naturally from one bit of song to the next. sometimes it's a huge jump...

Now I enjoyed the radio edits like that, so if they did a more smoother way of doing the medley's, I'd be one of the first to join in on that!

STTW is producing more and more customer tracks too. I have a new Pink Floyd that is coming my way, as is a new QUEENSRYCHE tune I've been after for many, MANY years! I think they finally produced it to shut me up! LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:55 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

maninblack @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 am wrote:
Wow, over 30 views and only one response. Thanks Lonman, I knew I could count on you.

No prob.  Don't take a late response as ignoring.  Often times I will read a question & have to do a little research or just need to get back to it later.

Anyway, where did you see it had 30 views?  I didn't know this forum had that feature.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:57 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Ah, never mind I went exploring & found the icon!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:00 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
maninblack @ Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:05 am wrote:
I guess for the rest of you, I should keep my song request a bit more on  the generic side. Maybe I should just ask questions like:
What's your favorite version of 'The Rose' by Bette Midler
or do you prefer the Chartbuster over the Soundchoice version of 'Friends in Low Places' ;)

.....sorry, I'll turn the sarcasm button down now

James
Maninblack

Hi James.. I just saw your most a moment ago...those above 2 songs, I couldn't tell you about cause I can't stand em!

However, agreeing with lonman:  Zooms are excellent.. I am one of the few that like them as well as SC, especially they have excellent renditions of British Artists

As far as Crazy/Seal on Sunfly, check the Sound Choice 8942 cause most of Sunflys are a tad mediocre...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:16 pm 
James,  I viewed your question and honestly couldn't answer because that is a genre that I don't sing and frankly, at the club I go to, doesn't even get requested.  I keep coming back to view the responses. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for all the input guys. I was being sarcastic about the Midler and Brooks songs, while they're not my favorite, they still remain very popular with the singers around here. Keep in mind, I live in a very small town, population couldn't be more than 10,000 for the whole county. So things tend to be a bit behind here.
But what I've found out though is no matter how obscure of material I throw at them, they eat it up. I mean I'm doing Bowie, Cream, Megadeth, Queen, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and they just keep asking for more. I never cheat on the vocals, each tune is done full throttle and for some odd reason they love it.
I had one guy the other night gimme 20 bucks and requested that I sing a whole set of nothing but Beatles tunes, and he didn't want to hear the 'yeah, yeah, yeah' stuff, he wanted, Let it Be, Yesterday, Long and Winding Road, Lucy in the sky with Diamonds,stuff like that. It was getting late and everyone else had already sang, so sure I went for it. What was cool, is that some of the other singers would just come up to the mic and help me sing backup. It wasn't about me hogging the show, it was about everyone having a good time. Other request came in, but everyone stuck with the theme and we did some John Lennon, George Harrison, so like I said, it was very cool.
So yeah these songs are for me really. I'm just looking for material that is good and challenging.
On the Billy Idol, I want 'Eyes without a Face' and 'Flesh for Fantasy'
Crazy by Seal is a song that I've loved since the first time I heard it.
I'm still looking for good versions of 'White Room' and a better version of 'Sunshine of your Love' by Cream.  
On the Bowie, looking for 'Heroes'. I have the Legends disc of Bowie, but it doesn't include this particular song.
Layla, still looking for an acoustic version of this by Eric Clapton.

I know that some of you cringe because I go against the norm of being a KJ that sings alot, but when the request come in and a good portion of them are songs that they want me to sing, what am I suppose to do. This is my audience, I'm just trying to give them what they want, and if they want to hear me or do a duet with me, then so be it.  
I'm not trying to be a superstar, I'm just a guy who's trying to make some money and have fun while I'm doing it. For me, the day it ceases to be fun, that's the day I pack it up and go back home.

James
Maninblack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 pm 
Sunshine Of Your Love, on Dangerous is the one I use.   I have 4 different versions of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:41 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

The only thing that comes up on my search for Layla for the MTV Unplugged / acoustic version is from Pocket Songs. All the other listings from other manufacturers don't list it as original or unplugged / acoustic.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well I broke down and ordered the Zoom Billy Idol, and the Sunfly Bowie/T.Rex disc.
Looks like the Allman Bros. SC2276 may be out of print.
I looked around on Ebay, but Ebays become a joke lately when it comes to Karaoke.
You've got folks loading up the site selling SGB by the disc for 5 bucks a pop on top of 3 bucks shipping....LOL
Zoom and Sunfly disc are going for like 24 bucks a pop plus 5 to 7 bucks for shipping.
Since All Hits Maxx lowered their prices, you can find them all over the site, but the price folks are asking is ridiculous.
I did find some good deals on Soundchoice, but of course none of the disc I was looking for. They were like 6 bucks with 3 dollars shipping, but it was mostly country, which I'm not shopping for right now.
So if anyone comes across the SC2276 Allman Bros. disc at a reasonable price, lemme know.
Thanks,
James
Maninblack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:33 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Why not do a custom CDG from Sound Choice?

They have 11 songs available from the Allman Bros. and 1 song available from Greg Allman. Sure it's gonna be an expensive disc, ($4 per song), but you get all the songs you want on 1 disc.

Just an opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Lito @ Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:33 pm wrote:
Why not do a custom CDG from Sound Choice?

They have 11 songs available from the Allman Bros. and 1 song available from Greg Allman. Sure it's gonna be an expensive disc, ($4 per song), but you get all the songs you want on 1 disc.

Just an opinion.

Nope it's a good suggestion and I've thought about it on several occasions. My hopes were I could still find the Allman Bros disc and only have to pay say maybe 20-25 bucks rather than close to 50 for a custom. The custom is still an option for some of the more obscure tunes I wanna do. At the moment, I'm still trying to be more budget conscious about my Karaoke purchases. But I'm sure there's gonna come a point that I'm gonna have to break down and go for the gusto.
Thanks for the suggestion.
James
Maninblack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:46 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I just went to the Soundchoice site and realized that if I join their club for 25 bucks, I get a 10 song disc free...hmmmm, I think that's definitely the way to go. Too bad their shirts don't come in black, but hey grey is close enough. ;)
James
Maninblack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:32 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I got one of those shirts... and have gotten 10 customs from SC... I've never regretted any of those purchases..

HOWEVER, if you're a disc player only kinda host, then be careful... the cdrs with an inkjet label are very delicate...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:31 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

knightshow @ Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:32 pm wrote:
I got one of those shirts... and have gotten 10 customs from SC... I've never regretted any of those purchases..

HOWEVER, if you're a disc player only kinda host, then be careful... the cdrs with an inkjet label are very delicate...

AND some players are very tempermental about playing cdr's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Okay I got the Billy Idol from Zoom......HOLY SHEIT BATMAN, this disc is killer, hands down the best versions that I've heard so far.
Also got the Bowie/T.Rex disc from Sunfly, and again, most definitely the best versions I have heard of any of these tunes.
Folks got to hear me try out, Rebel Yell/Idol, Heroes/Bowie and Get it On, Bang a Gong/T.Rex, and they commented that the versions almost had a actual live band sound to them. (but a bit of it could have to do with the fabulous sound system and the genius running it..LOL, yeah right)
Anyways, I'm super pleased, and yes I will be joining the Soundchoice Club at the beginning of the month.

James
Maninblack