KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - technical/budget questions for ya'll Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
i've already got some good info, but would like some more opinions. Just started workin at a bar with its own gear. Wanna start doin my own thing. Any suggestions on gear? How about setting up gigs? What to say/where to go?

I've budgeted myself about 3 grand to get off the ground. I'm giving myself a year to get it together. I figure the more work I get, the easier it will be to upgrade (PC, put everything in files). Sound like a decent plan?

Thanks for your time, guys. Cheers JM

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:56 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Johhny

I saw Topher gave you some good choices on the other post .
The Yamahas SV115IV are an excellant Choice in speakers.
Match that with the Yamaha powered mixer and you have a system that is compact and  great sounding.   Alternatives to the powered mixer are of couirse a seperate power amp and mixer unit.  I am currently using a Crown XLS602 power amp and a Behringer 1222FX mixer both rack mounted in an SKB case for about the same money as the powered mixer.  Not suggesting it is better just an alternative.

I tried the Samson mics myself and did not like them -- I would suggest Sennehisers or the Sure PG 58 for some mid priced suggestions ---Of course the Sure SM58 for $100 is a top choice also.

Not sure if the 3grand is just for equipment or is that for MUSIC also??
There are many choices and configurations to putting together a pro audio system
Now that you know your budget --What are your future plans
Just Bar Karaoke?
Are you planning to DJ also ?
OUtdoors?
Small BArs or BIG CLUBs?
Do you want something than can it into the back of your VW?
OR
DO you want to haul it in a trailer?

These are some of the questions when answerd can point you in the right direction

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 am 

Cool. Thanks for responding.

well, my dream is to able to the regular Bar karaoke at a couple of different places in my city. About 4 nights a week.

I've been at this place for 6 weeks and I 've already gotten two requests to do weddingsa so there definitely is a market for outside venues (weddings, parties, benefits, etc.)

So really I want this to be a good small business, one I where can work 20 hours a week instead of averaging about 55-60 right now.

I'm without a car right now (my junker died on me this past winter) so I'm thinking of leasing a compact, to be able to get where i need to go. The 3 grand is a base, but I figure if I work my (@$%&#!) off this year, I can get enough saved to put it all together (music, gear, down payment). Suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It will be tough to start with 3K for music and equipment.

5K would be a more realistic figure. Music will represent a good portion of the 5K.

You will not be able to do PC karaoke on this budget unless you already have the computer and a burner that is CDG compatible. If you don't have the computer you will probably have to start with a player.

Do you currently have any equipment purchased now or will you be starting from scratch?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:52 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
In the long run youyr music will be the biggest investment.  And it will continue if you plan on staying current.  I've spent $15,000 in music since 2000 since I started.  Karaoke only.  That will give you an idea.

What ever you want to make a night tell them that up front.  Too many people I know have gone into a place and told the owner, I'll work for x amount for a month ten i expect X amount more.  More times than not the owner doesn't want to raise that amount.

Someone else KJ's where i work also.  She uses the House system which IMO sucks, and she compalined to me that she doesn't make what i make.  i told her one I have my own equipment.  And two, I asked her what she agreed to work for.  If she wanted more she should have asked for more.

Always go somewhere and check out the equipment your considering buying first.  And always by the best you can possibly afford.  What may seem too much money in the beginning becaomes less if you only have to buy one time rather than upgrade later.

Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:13 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

If I had it to do over, I'd start with the computer first, then the music, player and hosting programs installed, books printed.....once that was configured, I'd shop mixer and PA.

Once computer was built and music and player/hosting installed, you could work places that had their own PA untill you assembled yours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:05 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

only problem here is that he is on a tight budget.

I would start with a computer too if finances are not the issue. But with 3K to get his show running that may be difficult

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:20 am 

Ok,that shouldn't be too bad. 5 K sounds fairly reasonable.

I am starting from scratch. I've started compiling CDG's.

What rigs would you guys suggest? I think for now that I should go with the 3 tray player until I can build my business up to snuff, unless having the PC system makes for more compact transport. Insights, anyone?

Now, my next question is, what types of PC's would you guys suggest I look for? Anything specific? Mac, etc?

Also, what is a ballpark figure that I should be selling myself for? If I have a better setup, etc., does that really make a big difference in bar owners minds?

thanks alot for the insight, guys. All of this is really helpful. Its refreshing to see such an outpouring of information.

Cheers, ugys, and have fun this weekend. JM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
What it looks like  shouldn't matter as much as how it sounds.  However, I'm picky.  I like a clean stage.  Least amount of cords showing the better.  Can't tell you about players.  Never used one.  Went straight from the Sony 400 to laptop.  

If you choose laptop, choose your software FIRST.  Then build or buy the laptop around the software.  Don't use the laptop for anything else but you karaoke.

There are many KJ software programs out there.  Download their demos (to a "home" computer if possible) and play with them.  Go to each company web site and read their forums thouroughly!  Ask questions, ask questions and then ask some more questions.

I personally use MTU's Hoster.  I also bought my laptop from them (it was a Prostar) with their software.  I didn't have to go through the problem of worrying whether the computer was set up right.  YES, I paid more for it than I would have if I had bought something else.  But I have no regrets.

You may decide to go with a rack computer system.  Some like that better. they have it built into a gigrig or such.  I prefer the laptop.  When I need to update my program or add more music I don't have to unload or deal with anything but the laptop.  I made a swivel plate that connects to the edge of my gig rig and it works fine.  My setup is unique in some ways.  I will try to get somepictures this next week and post here.  I think it would be neat if we started a thread on "set ups" WITH pictures.  Good Luck in your endevor.

Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:27 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

JohnnyMoran @ Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:20 pm wrote:

What rigs would you guys suggest? I think for now that I should go with the 3 tray player until I can build my business up to snuff, unless having the PC system makes for more compact transport. Insights, anyone?

Now, my next question is, what types of PC's would you guys suggest I look for? Anything specific? Mac, etc?

Also, what is a ballpark figure that I should be selling myself for? If I have a better setup, etc., does that really make a big difference in bar owners minds?

thanks alot for the insight, guys. All of this is really helpful. Its refreshing to see such an outpouring of information.

Myself, I'd build the PC on an AMD based processor using socket 939 motherboard and compatable audio interface. I'd stuff it with a CD+G compatable CD burner/ROM and go from there to rip/download all my music and setup my hosting apps, then connect it to my own PA or the one the club has setup already....Laptops are just too danged expensive and easy to damage, plus they offer little room for expansion/upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:29 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Kellyoke @ Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:47 pm wrote:
What it looks like  shouldn't matter as much as how it sounds.  However, I'm picky.  I like a clean stage.  Least amount of cords showing the better.  Can't tell you about players.  Never used one.  Went straight from the Sony 400 to laptop.  

If you choose laptop, choose your software FIRST.  Then build or buy the laptop around the software.  Don't use the laptop for anything else but you karaoke.

There are many KJ software programs out there.  Download their demos (to a "home" computer if possible) and play with them.  Go to each company web site and read their forums thouroughly!  Ask questions, ask questions and then ask some more questions.

I personally use MTU's Hoster.  I also bought my laptop from them (it was a Prostar) with their software.  I didn't have to go through the problem of worrying whether the computer was set up right.  YES, I paid more for it than I would have if I had bought something else.  But I have no regrets.

You may decide to go with a rack computer system.  Some like that better. they have it built into a gigrig or such.  I prefer the laptop.  When I need to update my program or add more music I don't have to unload or deal with anything but the laptop.  I made a swivel plate that connects to the edge of my gig rig and it works fine.  My setup is unique in some ways.  I will try to get somepictures this next week and post here.  I think it would be neat if we started a thread on "set ups" WITH pictures.  Good Luck in your endevor.

Kelly
I like your post cause you set some priorties with it.

Yes, first consider the software you need, then select the hardware to support it....While you are at it, also consider the hardware you need to support whatever computer format you select.....DO NOT buy any laptop that you cannot upgrade cheaply or isn't already configured to support your outboard hardware!...There are laptops made for sale that are intended for the music crowd....They are rather expensive, but you can avoid their high price if you take the time to investigate how they are configured and simply order one configured the same yourself from the laptop manufacturer...Same for full size PC's.

MTU(for one) offers laptops and PC's setup for karaoke...They are very expensive but do a good job....You can have the same machine much cheaper if you do a little homework and maybe a few mods yourself. Just take care to start with a machine that will allow those changes or already has the hardware you need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:03 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
JohnnyMoran @ Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:20 pm wrote:

Don't go cheap on this, stay with the good brands
Quote:

like you said you are on a budget.  Start with a CDG player, and when business demands it go for a laptop
Quote:

NO MAC!!!!!
I would suggest a Dell laptop.  I have 2 of them, one is over built and cost about $1500, the other is "off the shelf" and cost about $500.  The cheap one is solely for karaoke, and it works great.  I also had to buy a Maxtor external hard drives to store all the music.
Quote:

It all depends on your location.  I am in a rather small city, and get paid pretty good from what others have said they get paid for doing larger towns.  You will have to figure you can charge what your coemption is charging, and as you get better, you can up your prices.

If you are having problems getting gigs, because of coemption, and if you are good as, or better, try giving away a few gigs.  It is basically a form of advertisement.  THen let the owner decide if you are good enough to get booked regular, and charge him/her your regular price.
Quote:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:26 am 

Thanks Anthony. That makes sense.

So as I have given my budget more thought, I'm looking at an actual cost will be 7-8000. Now the best advice I've heard recently is to work double shifts and keep your eye on the prize. I'm cool with that, but what do you guys think?

And also, would it be a good idea to shop around to different manufacturers for different systems, or pick out components I need, and make it myself?

The thing that worries me is what if those parts aren't compatible?

Cheers JM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:11 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

from what I've read in the archives, laptops have obvious benifits, but the pitfalls seem to be:

more expensive
not as upgradable
overheat easier
not as flexible

and one that may make you think twice about getting one because they are so nice and portable:  easy to steal.

but because it seems you don't need a whole lotta computer just to run karaoke, maybe getting a cheaper laptop would be the answer?  just my 2cents.  I don't have a business yet, just living vicariously.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:00 am 
Keiths rack mount computer sounds like the answer, until you find out how heavy the box will be.      I'm thinking a powerful processor and memory laptop.  Stripped down to the basics.   Then adding a high end external Sound card and video card.   That will be at least a 20# difference.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bigdog @ Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:00 am wrote:
Keiths rack mount computer sounds like the answer, until you find out how heavy the box will be.      I'm thinking a powerful processor and memory laptop.  Stripped down to the basics.   Then adding a high end external Sound card and video card.   That will be at least a 20# difference.

It doesn't have to be. Choose an aluminum case and you will have a lighter case with better heat conductivity. Big difference in weight between steel and aluminum case.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

JVC makes a karaoke computer with a built in program, comes loaded with songs, and will put video in the background of the lyrics if you want.

I dont know the price, I saw it used for the first time last night, But it looked good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:53 pm 
I have looked but haven't seen any aluminum cases.  They have to be short not 24" long.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bigdog @ Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:53 pm wrote:
I have looked but haven't seen any aluminum cases.  They have to be short not 24" long.

Mine's aluminum and it's only 17" deep. It's perfect for what I want to do.

Seize the day and SING!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:46 pm 
And you found it where?