KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - you know what I hate? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: you know what I hate?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:15 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Saw this on another thread, and thought it deserved it's own thread!
Laura @ Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:33 am wrote:
'Know what I hate?  I went someplace where they didn't have a particular song I wanted to sing for karaoke ("Black Horse and the Cherry Tree"-KT Tunstall), BUT THEY HAD IT FOR FILLER MUSIC!!!!  That was really frustrating, and I know the song IS available for karaoke because I've sung it before!  Has that ever happened to any of you?
Yes, but you're talking two different animals, Laura.

I'm certain they didn't specifically do that to irritate you! LOL! I've had a LOT of people come up wanting to sing a song I've played as filler... and yes, that's part of the reason I play filler between singers (just as long as it takes the next singer to come up, not a whole song)... I WANT to inspire my audience.

BUT that doesn't mean that the KJ knows what they're playing, or in some situations, they just haven't gotten around to ordering the newest stuff. Sometimes I'm playing a new dj disc, and not really knowing what's on it... it's just new noise to me!

I'll be the first to admit if the songs don't come out on a monthly disc, I will wait until I get requests, or I personally see stuff that "I" want and "I" think is good stuff. But that doesn't mean that "I" REALLY have my thumb on the pulse of the community. That's what requests are for, and if I get them, THEN I'll go out of my way to buy the songs...

The one you mentioned didn't even sound familiar, yet it must be!

Now if you'd asked them and they said "NO", THEN I can see you gettin' upset! LOL!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 445 times
Exactly, if the KJ is playing filler music that the audience LIKES, then chances are someone has thought about doing it for karaoke for the same reason.

What you REALLY don't want is:

#1: KJs playing filler music of songs that no one would ever sing, meaning that they just are not good songs

or

#2: The KJ plays BLACK HORSE AND THE CHERRY TREE just as you are walking up to turn in the slip for the same song.

Those senerios suck FAR worse than the one you are describing!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:26 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
We used to get that request from singers when I was a KJ the first time. Many of the songs they wanted to sing were not available anywhere as far as we could tell. In 1991 we didn't have the same resources to find a lot of the information that we can these days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:39 am 
People can request songs for me to get.   I will get them if,

1.   There is more than one song I can use on the disc.

2.   It's not something that is heavy rap.

3.   It contains no objectionable lyrics or subject matter.

4.   I think other people may want to sing it too.

One more thing.   Everyone has access to the same karaoke outlets as me.    BUY your own songs.     I cannot afford to buy songs to keep everyone happy.    KJPro lists over 270,000 karaoke songs.    Minus the dupes you're still talkng over 100,000 songs.   Even at $1 per song, it's a lot of money.

Karaoke is karaoke, I hate filler music.    Unlesss I'm doing a party or wedding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

well, that's also why I get the "CUSTOM" disc route from specific manufacturers.

In many of the recent disc releases, which are "whole artist", I don't often need that... so if I'm pretty happy with what I have, I'll go ahead and buy the songs at $4.00 a song on SC (special this month! LOL!)

STTW is yet another company I get customs from. I had "Real Wild Child" for a VERY long time before SC released it! In fact, STTW JUST announced to me that they're going to release a very much requested song that nobody's done yet, and I can't WAIT to add it. Likewise, ZOOM is releasing an all Rick Springfield disc... production on some of those songs is starting this month. SBIKaraoke is yet another custom track maker!

I don't stick with JUST the released discs.

Whups, did I give away some of my trade secrets?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
worse still is having the song you wish to sing but from a disc manufacturer you wouldnt sing to if your life depended on it. For me that applies to sunfly and dk, and anything else that has a hideous melody line

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

well, SUNFLY isn't the horrid thing it's been made out to be (although I'll agree with the DK part). Sunfly makes Legends discs, and their Rolling Stone disc (LG120) has the best version of "Gimme Shelter" I've ever heard. The gals singing SOUND like Heart! Just like the original!

I don't have MANY Sunfly or Legends discs, but I do have a few.

I just wish I could toss all my NUTECH away!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:23 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
knightshow @ Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:05 pm wrote:

I just wish I could toss all my NUTECH away!

Oh gawd, you n' me both Matt.

You know how EXCITED I was when I won a few Ebay bids a couple years ago for those? Haha, I think the most I paid for one cdg was like $3...... I thought I was getting a steal. To be honest, there are a FEW of the tracks that are not too bad, oldie country stuff. But some of them, half the lyric screens wont change color, or they move a whole line ahead or behind. No biggie for recording, but when ya got company over.... yikes, it can confuse some people. And I swear some of them sound kinda midi.  LMAO  *lesson learned*

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:17 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Been Liked: 0 time
I only do Sound Choice custom discs now. I'm going to do a update soon. I'm building my list. I wanted to wait until the new Evanescence songs came out,
but who knows how long it will take for them to go CDG.
I was really disappointed with the new Danity Kane CD. I thought maybe I'd get
a few of their songs. The only one that is remotely good is Showstopper.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

MorganLeFey @ Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:51 pm wrote:
worse still is having the song you wish to sing but from a disc manufacturer you wouldnt sing to if your life depended on it. For me that applies to sunfly and dk, and anything else that has a hideous melody line

That reminds me other day I was going to sing a song a karaoke - I think it was Simon and Garfunkle and they had about 3 versions but couldn't find the SC version. I was standing on stage when the kazoos and harmonicas started and I was like - never mind. I was walking off stage and the KJ hits me with another saying "oh no, try this one. I want you to at least give it a shot". The second one was better but I shouldn't have done it, as it still sucked and so I didn't sound too good either. Quality backings make all the difference and it's also important you are familiar with the particular version (as you probably know).

Some of these karaoke brands are just completely comical. Imagine Nirvana with kazoos - yep they have them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:56 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Yep it's like singing to my old 8 track player.  LMAO and
using Mr. Microphone.

"Hey baby be back to pick ya up later"  LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Yeah I judged a karaoke comp a couple of months ago and was asked to sing at half time by the bar owner and all she had was sunfly grrrrrrrr the only one I could do was the ballad of lucy jordan cos that is the only sunfly track I do. I do the mother part on pink floyds mother as well but I wasnt in a position that nite to do a duet.
So I gave the kj strict instructions to bring me some sc or sgb for the next 4 weeks or no singing and promptly gave her a list

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

SGB??? Oh gawd, except for a couple tracks, they're worse than NUTECH!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:38 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

knightshow @ Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:25 pm wrote:
SGB??? Oh gawd, except for a couple tracks, they're worse than NUTECH!

each to their own dahlin I like em. sometimes they need a bit of editing they can be a bit trebly at times but thats cool I try and edit most of them anyways. Anything I sing and have to transpose then I transpose permanently. I am not a KJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:38 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I guess, SGB only goes in my book IF it's a last resort only.  I haven't heard 1 GOOD track from them yet, a couple passable, but nothing good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
C'mon Lonnie we all know you secretly adore SGB's  Weird Al discs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I like most of the SGB discs I've got too.  And even the bad ones are still better than NuTech.  Nothing is worse than NuTech.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:12 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

the SGB Cher and Weird Al discs are MUCH more horrible than the worst Nutech disc I have!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Tom Eaton @ Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 am wrote:
I like most of the SGB discs I've got too.  And even the bad ones are still better than NuTech.  Nothing is worse than NuTech.

Funny thing is MUCH of the earlier NuTech line was directly ripped off from other manufacturers - good ones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:31 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

MorganLeFey @ Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:32 am wrote:
Yeah I judged a karaoke comp a couple of months ago and was asked to sing at half time by the bar owner and all she had was sunfly grrrrrrrr the only one I could do was the ballad of lucy jordan cos that is the only sunfly track I do. I do the mother part on pink floyds mother as well but I wasnt in a position that nite to do a duet.
So I gave the kj strict instructions to bring me some sc or sgb for the next 4 weeks or no singing and promptly gave her a list

I understand your want to sing the versions you are familiar with. I have people come in with their own discs for particular songs I already have. Even though my brand of CDG may sound better they feel more comfortable with theirs because that is what they are used too. If you prefer a particular brand of CDG there is nothing wrong with that. I have to play a bit of devil's advocate though. I hope you don't mind. Coming from a KJs view point - If I already have the songs you want I will not
spend the extra money to purchase it again in another brand name. It is 2 expensive to try to accommodate that. I would suggest starting your own personal library of disc's. Pick your top ten most sung songs and go buy the disc's. Then you never have to worry about singing a different version.  :D