KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Which compressor is suitable for my home setup... please help Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
After hearing lots of advices from the pros i have decided to get myself a compressor for my vocal channel run thru the mic insert... for sound enhancement and to protect speaker due to feedback or any kind of glitch...

I have M-Audio BX8A active speakers and Yamaha MG-FX series mixer sitting in a 13x17 ft room size...

So far I have the dbx-166XL and BBE Maxcom in my list... any better suggestion? The Maxcom is quite attractive due to its prices and the built-in sonic maximizer... but if I run thru the mic insert I don't think the sonic maximizer is going to help much on the vocal part isn't it?

The 166XL is quite reputable too, though it is pricier and later on I need to burn my wallet again if I were to add the sonic maximizer at the main output.

Anyway, these could be overkill for my setup... any more suitable equipment to recommend?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:55 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

If you know how to work the mic you do not need a comp. Unless of course you have a lot of screaming visitors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:20 am 
Jian,    Think party & alcohol....... too much alcohol.      It would still be helpful in a feedback situation.  If you have parties and people get a little goofy.  Pointing the mikes at the speakers and yelling like fools.   They all do the same thing, unless you are going to spend big money.    Mine was $200.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:39 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Bigdog @ 16th August 2006, 5:20 pm wrote:
Jian,    Think party & alcohol....... too much alcohol.      It would still be helpful in a feedback situation.  If you have parties and people get a little goofy.  Pointing the mikes at the speakers and yelling like fools.   They all do the same thing, unless you are going to spend big money.    Mine was $200.

I can picture that :drunk:  But mind you a comp will not help eliminate feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:02 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

cpmame @ Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:26 pm wrote:
After hearing lots of advices from the pros i have decided to get myself a compressor for my vocal channel run thru the mic insert... for sound enhancement and to protect speaker due to feedback or any kind of glitch...

I have M-Audio BX8A active speakers and Yamaha MG-FX series mixer sitting in a 13x17 ft room size...

So far I have the dbx-166XL and BBE Maxcom in my list... any better suggestion? The Maxcom is quite attractive due to its prices and the built-in sonic maximizer... but if I run thru the mic insert I don't think the sonic maximizer is going to help much on the vocal part isn't it?

The 166XL is quite reputable too, though it is pricier and later on I need to burn my wallet again if I were to add the sonic maximizer at the main output.

Anyway, these could be overkill for my setup... any more suitable equipment to recommend?
Well..........Let's back up a mile.

I ain't familar with your speakers, but they sound like really decent recording room monitor speakers, not live PA speakers....M-audio don't do live last i looked, but they do real good at recording and studio stuff.

If that's the case, then no amount of gear will turn them into live PA speakers.....you can attempt to protect them with comps and limiters, but it's mo-better to just replace them...and then buy gear to improve your sound, not prop it up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
cpmame @ Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:26 pm wrote:

Your speakers are studio reference monitors. Not suitable live music/karaoke. Spend your money on a decent set of 12" live speakers (Mackie/JBL). You can also go for the dbx 266 for home use.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:32 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Since a 13x17 room is more like a recording studio I would advise gleaning some info from this site

I also recommend the studio and monitor acoustics board in the forum....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:07 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

i bought this speaker for hi-fi playback and karaoke. so far i am quite happy with the overall sounding of my studio monitor though i have to use reverb to make it sound "bigger", i would say it sounds a lot better compared to small karaoke club that use BMB, Vocapro and etc.

i didn't really have the chance to compare side by side with the live PA though...  but at least i am quite happy with the overall performance so far and also its "look" fit nicely in my living room.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I have yet to walk into any professional installation in a small room with anything other than near field monitors with the emphasis on acoustics design. Most even have to use bass traps or other means to tailor the sound. The last home system I put in we used 2 Jble eon 10 g2's It is awesome I made about $800 dollars on that project but simply it was over powering to compensate for not dealing with remodeling the room etc...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cpmame @ Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:07 am wrote:
but at least i am quite happy with the overall performance so far and also its "look" fit nicely in my living room.
You asked advise, and we gave it. Your speakers are not made for live music or karaoke. Ask anyone in this forum. But, if you have nice looking, after a while distorting speakers................................Listen to what Karyoker said,
Quote:
2 Jble eon 10 g2's

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
what Karyoker said,
Quote:
2 Jble eon 10 g2's

LMAO  I really dont believe in putting huge power in home systems but these folks dont go out anymore... Their "home" system sounds better than 80% of the "pro" systems. LMAO

This home trend is killing the KJ business more than anything else...When I get my health issues solved Im going to approach it with a totally different philosophy What Im not sure yet but we have to do something different....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:03 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

For playing back  recorded music, your system should sound great; assuming the room is acouisticly good. But if you want to do REAL singing, then you should rethink about using that speakers. You will blow it up in no time even.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Not that funny  :drunk:  we have the JBL 12's downstairs for home karaoke.
Quote:
This home trend is killing the KJ business more than anything else
If I could find a decent place around here, our friends and us would go out and support them, problem is (and I quote)  
Quote:
Their "home" system sounds better than 80% of the "pro" systems
that's my home system. We have great sound, loads of fun, and normally about 20 "stars" with a quick rotation. Booze is cheaper and the BBQ outside always ready. I stopped supporting these miserable little rinky-dink wanna be KJ's who are really the ones killing the KJ business by playing for a six-pack or $50 a night, not us home users.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
that's my home system. We have great sound, loads of fun, and normally about 20 "stars" with a quick rotation. Booze is cheaper and the BBQ outside always ready. I stopped supporting these miserable little rinky-dink wanna be KJ's who are really the ones killing the KJ business by playing for a six-pack or $50 a night, not us home users.

Thats basically what we are doing.  We go to a good place where my buddy is doing karaoke. You get up to sing and there is 10 people sitting there.. 20 people out back smoking and 10 people out front smoking. Lets go over to Mike & Debs..... Yea!!!!
Not only that when the bar closes all the good singers go out there too. (its way out in the country and the nearest neighbor is a half mile away))

EDIT::: I caution anybody that is hosting these parties.  Never ever let anybody drive away drunk!!!! Always have a designated driver handy to take them home and go get them the next day to get  their car...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

karyoker @ Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:18 am wrote:
Quote:

EDIT::: I caution anybody that is hosting these parties.  Never ever let anybody drive away drunk!!!! Always have a designated driver handy to take them home and go get them the next day to get  their car...
Bad policy, that....

Round my place, the really cute ones are required to get drunk and stay to sleep it off.....all the guys must leave, drunk or not, driving or not. :dancin:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:10 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
Round my place, the really cute ones are required to get drunk and stay to sleep it off.....all the guys must leave, drunk or not, driving or not. dancin
Good Plan.....

But it requires being one of the few that are still functional near the end... I cant do that all the time anymore LOL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

karyoker @ Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:10 am wrote:
Quote:
Round my place, the really cute ones are required to get drunk and stay to sleep it off.....all the guys must leave, drunk or not, driving or not. dancin
Good Plan.....

But it requires being one of the few that are still functional near the end... I cant do that all the time anymore LOL
Myself, I try to stay standing till the swirling blue lights arrive....I hate to miss fireworks and light shows. LMAO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:25 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

AllStar @ Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:23 am wrote:
cpmame @ Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:07 am wrote:
but at least i am quite happy with the overall performance so far and also its "look" fit nicely in my living room.
You asked advise, and we gave it. Your speakers are not made for live music or karaoke. Ask anyone in this forum. But, if you have nice looking, after a while distorting speakers................................Listen to what Karyoker said,
Quote:
2 Jble eon 10 g2's

Hi allstar first of all i really would like to apologise if my previous message offended you in anyway... i totally agree with you all that the speaker i use is not as good as a live PA like those from JBL, Mackie, PV, but seriously speaking what i have now is  quite acceptable for me so far... and if i have extra money i would get one of those live PA system... now is too late since i was suggested with this route.

i consider the compressor/limiter/sonic maximizer as a small upgrade although it will end up still not as good as the live PA setup, but as long as it helps improve what i currently have i am happy...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

cpmame @ Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:25 pm wrote:
Hi allstar first of all i really would like to apologise if my previous message offended you in anyway...

i consider the compressor/limiter/sonic maximizer as a small upgrade although it will end up still not as good as the live PA setup, but as long as it helps improve what i currently have i am happy...
 :wave:  No offense taken at all. You'll just kick your own butt the first time a loud vox comes through and damages your speakers. The compressor/limiter will most certainly protect it in some way, but no guarantee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:01 pm 
I know it won't eliminate feedback.   But it could keep it from becoming destructive.     It will sqwash the sound waves, to keep them from going square. :yes: