KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Karaoke changed my life- for all up and coming vocalists Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I started in 1992 running Karaoke shows in Myrtle Beach, SC and can only say good thing about it. I learned how to set up a component system(which STILL has my techie husband in shock & Awe) I can hear any type of feedback/distortion and immediately fix it( comes in handy when I'm working with a band and the hum starts) I have great stage presence from BEING on a stage so frequently- it's almost like a second home. I learned crowd management- how to keep everyone happy, to manage my song requests, EQ everyone to sound their best, and tame the few wild hairs that always pop up at every show. I learned what songs go over with a crowd and what songs( Love them though I may) just flop! I expanded the genres of music that I sing from classical to jazz- to funk and on to rock. I honed my voice and learned phrasing, mic technique, breath support, control and most importantly how to PACE my self so that I can sing for 4 hours at a time and not have shredded vocal chords. I learned the art of bargaining with the venue owners to get the best price for myself, I built my confidence as both a singer and a performer. I made a slew of friends that have been there for me during the last 2 decades. I even got to host a TV show that featured fine karaoke singers from all over the US which taught me how to read cameras, do sound bites, and lighting. Most importantly I even got my first professional singing( not KJ) job because someone at a Theatre style show heard me and liked me enough to add me to their permanent show. Karaoke was a training ground for me and I used it to jump start my career as a professional vocalist.

Yes there will always be people who lack a good ear at a karaoke show, or people who have been overserved, some who are just nervous- or unprepared, and a few who just- to be blunt- suck...and even a few who know they suck but they have made an art form out of being bad and in their own way they are JUST as entertaining as a truly great singer. William Hung ring a bell? So to dismiss Karaoke as being inferior to talent on some of these reality shows is like the pot calling the kettle black. SANJAYA ring a bell?? ( There are many singers at ANY Karaoke show who would take him down with ease and he was in the top 10 on Idol) I won't even start with some of the embarrassing singers/dancers who got through on America's Got Talent. All I need to say is "Boy Shakira!" and "Rapping Granny" Nuff said!

My point is that JUST like these so called reality shows- there are a few good apples, a few bad ones and a few full blown apple pies. Karaoke does NOT  equal BAD singing. Take a listen to the singers showcase and you'll see. Karaoke is a MUCH more easily accessed forum for up and coming vocal talent. It trains you in ways that help build you up instead on placing you on national TV to be made fun of. It gives you a gradual dose of reality and makes you think about the steps you make towards working as a professional entertainer rather than a whirlwind of artificial "fame' that will be gone in a week once you are no longer the flavor of the day. And best of all A karaoke show is NEVER contrived. It's just real people getting up with a real crowd and an honest unscripted reaction. Im my not so humble opinion- there is a whole lot more "REAL" in karaoke than there is in any of the reality shows. Even the people are real. If you don't like someone you tell them to go away... you don't smile for the camera and act like you like them because you're afraid of what the cameras will make you look like. I should know because I have been a part of both. So if you are reading this with a raised eyebrow because Karaoke is a fun way to blow a little time- that's fine...but if you're a singer who wants a good way to get some valuable knowledge to prepare you for a life in the entertainment industry thats fine too. Karaoke is in a large way responsible for the fact that I am and have been a professional singer for 17 years. It was and still is my favorite stomping ground..and I will do everything in my power to ensure that NO ONE tries to pass it of as inconsequential..becase it literally changed my life!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile